Vulture: Rotten Tomatoes scores can be bought/manipulated.

Darkgalord

It’s obvious that Marvel movies have been treated with kid gloves. 

• Like 4

still a decent measure to discern bad movies

not perfect, certainly manipulated in some cases but it's still good enough

• Like 2

It’s obvious that the score can be influenced, but if it was that easy to get a high score then you wouldn’t have so many huge movies getting panned 

6 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

still a decent measure to discern bad movies

not perfect, certainly manipulated in some cases but it's still good enough

It’s super flawed. You really need to find a reliable critic or a few because these aggregator sites and major publications aren’t honest. 

• Like 1

The article actually didn't say nothing the site already didn't say in his guide so typical vulture article about almost nothing new 

RT is a trash system in general. Right now the movie The bikeriders with Austin Butler has 90% approval but 5.9/10 as average :rip:

The binary system Is stupid. 

At the same time mediacritic has a good 1 to 100 rating system, which Is more clear, but the critics they count It's only "official" critics.

Sometimes, if not Always, It's also interesting what a more specific criticism or nichè said about a movie, than Always the same persons from the Guardian.

The ideal would be a site like RT with also not only official critics but a 1 to 100 metrics, not the binary percentage bad or good. 

Edited by vale9001

This was even more expected after they verified a bunch of random reviewers with zero credibility a while ago

• Like 1

Reviews are meant to be an optional tool you can use when looking for movies/other media to consume, not a definitive measure of the quality/validity of something. If you like a movie, awesome! If you want to see it, just see it :dies:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Reviews are meant to be an optional tool you can use when looking for movies/other media to consume, not a definitive measure of the quality/validity of something. If you like a movie, awesome! If you want to see it, just see it :dies:

Yet ATRL frequently treats Metacritic as the end all, be all for music quality.

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

It’s obvious that Marvel movies have been treated with kid gloves. 

It suddenly makes sense why all DC movies are rated so bad :eli:

• ATRL Moderator

While this doesn’t surprise me per se, I already use RT sparingly and try to remain somewhat objective until I’ve personally consumed the media so it’s whatever.

That being said, there are countless films both independent and studio funded that get panned regularly which leads me to believe that it’s a rather small number of companies buying reviewers off as opposed to the status quo. The article makes it seem like the service is completely unreliable, and while it is far from perfect or objective it does offer some positives. The article also makes RT out to be some major indicator of success. If a critic score was really that important wouldn’t more studios pay reviewers off?

I have a handful of go-to movie reviewers whose write-ups I’ll check out individually, if people are genuinely interested in analysis I’d suggest you do the same :sherlock:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Yet ATRL frequently treats Metacritic as the end all, be all for music quality.

Which is also stupid :cm:

people in here yelling Marvel/Disney as if multiple Disney Marvel shows/movies haven't been panned on RT in the last few years :redface:

it's the lack of reading comprehension for me!

Seeing a slew of random YouTubers get verified as RT critics has definitely been alarming to say the least.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.