Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

shyboi

Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

• Yes.
    • No.

I love Taylor since Love Story but i used to downplay her so much. To me she was a borefest compared to the interesting personas of Katy-Kesha-Rihanna-Lady Gaga.....
I used to group her with all the disney stars. 
This is one of the reasons why i never checked Speak Now-Fearless-Debut. I only liked the singles.
Then she released 1989 and my perception of her changed. I saw her as someone highly ambitious-cunning and dangerous and sophisticated
She really shocked me :gaycat4: Then each day i was more and more hyped by her magic.
Today im impressed about her but i feel like she's been gettin too comfortable specially with Jack Antonoff and i didnt like some of her self made videos like lavender haze-the man

Now if we talk about Gaga-Katy perry-Rihanna..........Im dissapointed with the state of their career. I expected larger things for them
Gaga gettin into movies and makeup ruined everything. She's not as invested as before. She's the most talented white popstar out there damn. Such a waste
Rihanna a lazy mess. No words needed
Katy tried but sadly she took the wrong decisions-path. She took everything for granted. She needs to evolve.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• GraceRandolph

• better than revenge

• EmailMySwift

The writing was on the wall when Adele blew up in the mainstream and Lana in the underground as the anti-gaga.

Gaga was massive. Her peak was when she was consistently releasing before the streaming era though and that hurt her. The whole ARTPOP era was a convoluted mess and she hasn’t been releasing material like Taylor has. Even without the TV albums, we’ve still gotten three new albums in the last three years. 

If Gaga had stayed mostly in the pop lane with releases every year/every other year she probably would still be bigger than she is now (which is still huge mind you). 

I mean, when you reach a point that gimmicks and stunts keep you afloat in the GP’s mind, success is bound to fade rather quickly (see ARTPOP’s antics overshadowing the music completely). Good thing Gaga hasn’t relied on stunts for several years now so her current success will last a long time.

6 hours ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Lady Gaga is way too polarizing and controversial to have longevity and maintain her success. Taylor has a very clean and bland image.

Tell that to Madonna 

• Like 1

No, I expected her to flop after Art Pop.

A Star Is Born saved her, and her career post-Art Pop is still quite splendid.

10 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Gaga would have eventually had this moment in her career if she was consistent and unapologetically herself. After ARTPOP Gaga lost all her cool-factor. She cared too much about criticism and public outrage. Madonna never gave a **** and she just continued. She stuck to her vision. If Gaga continued making quality albums like BTW every two years after ARTPOP she would've been the biggest female artist. 

I don't know if this would've been the case. The public hate train lasted for like four years against Gaga. Quality music might've kept her core fanbase happy, but I don't think she would've been the biggest female artist. Radio would've still been apprehensive around her, and the GP wouldn't necessarily connect to more BTW type albums.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shyboi said:

y'all corny with that polarizing ****

i get it, but it's like y'all just learned that word.

But, It’s not hard to apply it to context:

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2011/jun/07/lady-gaga-born-this-way-banned-lebanon

https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/lady-gaga-banned-in-indonesia

From that one POV,  she didn’t turn out as big as Taylor having such a gay fan base and making constant political statements at her peak (also the music didn’t click I agree), she still surpassed other mpg careers in other aspects. Her jazz show the highest grossing female show on the strip, two successful films with huge acting acclaim, a beauty brand that is now thriving. She made sure that she stayed active for the right reasons - not her personal life for example.

Edited by Mr. Stratus
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sasashite said:

Tell that to Madonna 

Madonna put her heart and soul into every era she did. ARTPOP was a half-assed drugged up disaster. If the quality of her music stayed as strong and consistent as madonnas did during her peak then ya, we could use that as a comparison 

9 hours ago, yonsé said:

Madonna put her heart and soul into every era she did. ARTPOP was a half-assed drugged up disaster. If the quality of her music stayed as strong and consistent as madonnas did during her peak then ya, we could use that as a comparison 

Why does ATRL act like qUaLitY mUsIc is the only thing that matters? Timing, luck, appearances, branding, luck, and label priority always plays a role in success. Or do you think conventionally attractive, young, label artists are the only ones capable of good music most of the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, unclefloprry said:

Gaga's peak is bigger than Taylor's peak 

Was Gaga doing the biggest tour of all time during her peak?

3 minutes ago, Axelios said:

Was Gaga doing the biggest tour of all time during her peak?

Everyone and their mothers are a touring force now unless you're Olivia Rodrigo.

Edited by unclefloprry
  • Haha 1

Just now, unclefloprry said:

Everyone and their momthers are a touring force now unless you're Olivia Rodrigo.

And Taylor is the biggest among them, something Gaga never was.

By the time the alejandro music video came out I knew she would start to fade. She started to believe anything she did was art.

Taylor has always been extremely self aware and knows what people want from her.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Why does ATRL act like qUaLitY mUsIc is the only thing that matters? Timing, luck, appearances, branding, luck, and label priority always plays a role in success. Or do you think conventionally attractive, young, label artists are the only ones capable of good music most of the time?

Because GOOD music is timeless and holds up over time. Madonna’s discography is evidence of that. She was ostracized for all of that, her look, her branding, she was polarizing. Just like Gaga. But the *music* delivered and that’s literally her job, so that’s what matters most? Hello?

1 hour ago, yonsé said:

Because GOOD music is timeless and holds up over time. Madonna’s discography is evidence of that. She was ostracized for all of that, her look, her branding, she was polarizing. Just like Gaga. But the *music* delivered and that’s literally her job, so that’s what matters most? Hello?

Taylor has released plenty of horrible singles that did well (Shake It Off, ME!, LWYMMD) and her career surged. Good music is only one part of a larger equation. 

• Like 2

No. 

1. Taylor is a smarter businesswoman. 

2. Taylor is more ambitious. 

3. Taylor is more prolific. 

4. Taylor understands the universal power of pop music, Gaga does not. 

5. Taylor is a more talented musician. That doesn't mean more talented singer or performer. She makes better music. 

6. Gaga did things like wear meat and get vomited on. You will instantly and forever repel a portion of the audience. 

On 9/3/2023 at 11:19 AM, perfillusion said:

Another “Gaga vs ___” thread by a Britney stan :rip: 

As if the Swifties don't already have the Hive and Navy down our throats, now the Army is trying to create a Taylor-Gaga rift to vent out their frustrations. Go stream Mind Your Business instead! 

200.gif

• Thanks 2

No, but I did expect more than 1 1/2 successful eras. Thank God for Bradley Cooper. :clap3: 

Honestly, I never thought she would blow up at all. Even though Just Dance was great, I thought she'd be like the rest of the electro pop girlies at the time like Annie, Roisin Murphy, Ladytron etc., and only have niche success since it seemed like not many were into that type of artist (only Gwen Stefani seemed the exception to the rule). Was so happy to see her blow up in real time in a matter of months. 

Not at all surprised she's not as insanely huge as Taylor (the female Garth Brooks) because she was never going to appeal to everyone - dance pop music is to this day considered too feminine/gay for most straight men & 'cool' girls, therefore uncool unless you're indie & edgy-ish, like Tove Lo, & that's a maybe. Add in her love of dressing strangely, and it makes sense. Thought I must say, this place downplays Gaga's status in the industry and success so much, like you'd think she wasn't one of the biggest artists, and instead Hilary Duff level if you only read this site, lol. 

Edited by eleganceislearned
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

No. 

1. Taylor is a smarter businesswoman. 

2. Taylor is more ambitious. 

3. Taylor is more prolific. 

4. Taylor understands the universal power of pop music, Gaga does not. 

5. Taylor is a more talented musician. That doesn't mean more talented singer or performer. She makes better music. 

6. Gaga did things like wear meat and get vomited on. You will instantly and forever repel a portion of the audience. 

As if the Swifties don't already have the Hive and Navy down our throats, now the Army is trying to create a Taylor-Gaga rift to vent out their frustrations. Go stream Mind Your Business instead! 

200.gif

Is Taylor really more ambitious than Gaga though? I’d say Taylor has never been more ambitious than early Gaga. Gaga performed in an IKEA parking lot, collabed with Polaroid, planned a joint tour with Kanye, launched a social media site, campaigned against DADT, wrote a song for Cher, feuded with Madonna, and released a politically charged album before her career was even five years old. 

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Haha 1

Yeah but the writing was on the wall for Gaga as early as Born This Way. I remember as a teenage stan then being baffled how Adele was effortlessly dominating her on all itunes markets shortly after the album dropped. 

She made controversial and unsafe decisions but ultimately had she been safer we wouldn’t have gotten such a queer album that helped a lot of us and really did help open some doors with changing attitudes. It was clear she would burn out as a pop phenomenon but the fact Gaga is so immensely talented allowed her to pursue other avenues and now we’ve got our pop star turned movie star. So I think it was worth it in the end. 

Taylor was always more committed to music itself whereas Gaga was about the fame and the culture. Plus no one could have predicted Taylor’s trajectory lmao

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.