Bigger at their peak: Britney Spears, Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift?

Wildcat

Blonde Icons  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger commercial peak:

2. 2. Bigger cultural peak:

JustLikeHoney
6 hours ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

It always makes me laugh how most users on here weren't even born at the time but often rewrite history to defend their fave.

Britney wasn't that huge. Celine sold two 30 million per albums one 20 million seller and one 12 million seller from 1996-1999. And thos those were just her English albums during that time. Her French albums sold 12 million and the other 4 million. Then she sold 30 million Titanic sound track albums in the strength of her song alone. Every other track on that albums was whale sounds and sounds of people drowning.  

• Like 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• EmailMySwift

• Avenger

• Badgalbriel

5 hours ago, CandleGuy said:

None of this is "cultural".

Cultural would be level of fame, what percentage of people would recognize her name or her face, iconic pop culture moments, fashion/style influence, media presence.

No one compares to Britney at her peak in this category.

Taylor swift is literally being put in presidential polls 💀

32 minutes ago, Onyxmage said:

I live in Southern California. :dies: Like you really think people be blasting her music out here in these streets? :ahh:

Half million people in LA were bopping to her music in Sofi stadium instead 

4jYTEI6.thumb.gif.13ce6b8cfbd5dcac5bc6df

Edited by Artistofthedecade

57 minutes ago, barbiegrande said:

How is Gaga not seen as an “actual musician”? Please be serious

Nobody over the age of 25 sees Taylor as some artistic genius. She’s  respected for her business savvy, but most music fans find her corny

Now she is. Us as pop fans already knew that. But read the title, at peak? During Gaga's reign all she was was a quirky slightly crazy musician who people suspected was a transvestite (yes I know that's not PC but thats literally a significant portion of the GP talking about her on tabloids) and part of the Illuminati as well as a demon.

3 hours ago, mons†er said:

Taylor has the biggest commercial peak. 

Britney has the more cultural peak. 1999-2007 Britney is unmatched 

You're right, not everyone can have an unmatched peak that includes singles failing to chart, Crossroads, and So Chaotic. 

Commercial? Britney had 2 20M+ selling albums back to back. The others didn’t. She also had the biggest cultural peak 

EDIT: actually… I’m inclined to change my answer to Taylor. She’s made herself into a brand. I forgot how well her current tour is doing. I’ll say her and Britney right after. Gaga’s success was only impressive for a year and a half 

Culturally: Britney > Gaga > Taylor

Edited by Bey_Rihstan

33 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

Now she is. Us as pop fans already knew that. But read the title, at peak? During Gaga's reign all she was was a quirky slightly crazy musician who people suspected was a transvestite (yes I know that's not PC but thats literally a significant portion of the GP talking about her on tabloids) and part of the Illuminati as well as a demon.

There was definitely some respect for Gaga as a musician early on. TFM received amazing reviews for a pop album at the time, and only conservatives disliked her because of her gay rights advocacy and trans rumors. Gaga also collabed with Tony Bennett for the first time during the BTW era, and her tours were acclaimed too. 

7 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

You're right, not everyone can have an unmatched peak that includes singles failing to chart, Crossroads, and So Chaotic. 

you know what really puzzles me, how as a Taylor Swift fan you decided to quote me and say these really unnecessarily rude things about Britney Spears even after I acknowledged the achievements Taylor has accomplished with her albums and records. what was the reason? :toofunny3:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, better than revenge said:

Can we stop comparing women for once? I've already seen threads about this before. These threads are clearly created only to cause chaos

Also, lots of you didn't even experience Britney or Gaga's peaks so it's not fair and we live in a totally different world now because of social media. It's not comparable.

Britney - the 2000s

Gaga - the 2010s

Taylor - the 2020s

Three totally different environments with different rules

Thank you! These threads really need to stop :biblionny:

Do y'all ever get tired of this same run around pitting 3 successful and impactful women against each other?

2MO.gif

I would say Britney has bigger peak before but 2023 Taylor truly is something else. So yeah Taylor has the biggest peak at this point :superman:

I've live all 3 and I must say Taylor is the biggest peak.

Britney and Gaga lasted 3 years but Taylor has been smashing since 1989. The Eras Tour craze is something for the books.

JustLikeHoney
7 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Commercial? Britney had 2 20M+ selling albums back to back. The others didn’t. She also had the biggest cultural peak 

EDIT: actually… I’m inclined to change my answer to Taylor. She’s made herself into a brand. I forgot how well her current tour is doing. I’ll say her and Britney right after. Gaga’s success was only impressive for a year and a half 

Culturally: Britney > Gaga > Taylor

Britney's "back to back 20 Million selling albums were literally a year and a half apart.:rip:  Same peak as Gaga "supposed peak as Gaga you mentioned." By 2021 she was already not selling that much but the years. Her 2001 half sold half that and her 2003 album sold less than half or 2001. People tired of her quickly. 

and Gaga had a tour selling 225 Million in her first two years. Followed up by another tour that was cut short due to illness but still did 183 Million. So yeah bigger commercial and cultural success than Britney. 

19 hours ago, Saintlor said:

This could go other ways too. Taylor's earnings from March 2023 to August 2023 are more than Britney's lifetime networth (even if she was paid properly)

Not really, according to Britney's court papers a billion dollars have been shifted in her name to Lou Taylor. Her perfume empire sold more than 1B in bottles accounting for more than 700M in revenue for which she took home 300M alone and her perfume still sells as well. 

So, idk from where this accurate information came about Britney was on Forbes most powerful women and first ever to cover just after 2 years of her debut accounting to more then 40M dollars. 

5 hours ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Britney's "back to back 20 Million selling albums were literally a year and a half apart.:rip:  Same peak as Gaga "supposed peak as Gaga you mentioned." By 2021 she was already not selling that much but the years. Her 2001 half sold half that and her 2003 album sold less than half or 2001. People tired of her quickly. 

and Gaga had a tour selling 225 Million in her first two years. Followed up by another tour that was cut short due to illness but still did 183 Million. So yeah bigger commercial and cultural success than Britney. 

Also, her 3rd album sold more then 12M in sales considering how hated and shamed she was and half of her kids fanbase was gone and parents refused to let their kids buy anything + her 3rd album was still top 10 according to IFPI idk how you guys just say about anything? The women was radio banned / blacklisted in the US! 

14 hours ago, mons†er said:

you know what really puzzles me, how as a Taylor Swift fan you decided to quote me and say these really unnecessarily rude things about Britney Spears even after I acknowledged the achievements Taylor has accomplished with her albums and records. what was the reason? :toofunny3:

You know what really puzzles me, how Taylor is branded really unnecessarily rude names like "McDonalds of Pop" on this site but we can't say factual things like a peak full of flop singles, flop tv shows and flop movies isn't all that? 

Britney had a successful copycat of her in every major music market and beyond, the others don't compare to that :katie:

BoA, the legendary k-pop idol, was dubbed the Korean Britney Spears when she started out

Hannah Montanna is literally a Britney Spears parody. All the Hannah merchandise you saw as a kid? That was Britney in her prime.

Britney was omnipresent, not just in the USA but in the world. A ton of movies would have her songs playing. Every major billboard would feature her. Her commercials were playing everywhere. Her perfumes were sold everywhere. Her music videos were constantly playing. THAT'S why Britney is bigger. It's not about sales because they all have achieved impressive feats on that regard. Britney was a global super star. It's like comparing Naomi Campbell to Bella Hadid. Britney transcended her role as a popstar and became a public figurehead. When she visited places like Italy, people would come to her hotel room to wave at her like she was queen Diana. It was just different tbh.

Britney's presence reached all age groups. My mom doesn't know or care about Taylor Swift and neither do any of my friends. This wasn't possible with Britney. 

imo, it's

britney > lady gaga > taylor

Taylor has by far more impressive feats with her music... but it rly just depends on what peak means. Britney fed an entire industry. This can't be tracked by just album sales.

Edited by kataraqueen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EmailMySwift said:

You know what really puzzles me, how Taylor is branded really unnecessarily rude names like "McDonalds of Pop" on this site but we can't say factual things like a peak full of flop singles, flop tv shows and flop movies isn't all that? 

did I say any of those things you just said? no I didn't. so why does that apply to what I asked you? 

I get you're stanning for Taylor and tryna get your rank up, but here's some advice, reading comprehension is your friend and also

you don't always have to be catty and negative on here. you can be witty and fun without trying so hard.:heart:

1 minute ago, kataraqueen said:

Britney had a successful copycat of her in every major music market and beyond, the others don't compare to that :katie:

BoA, the legendary k-pop idol, was dubbed the Korean Britney Spears when she started out

Hannah Montanna is literally a Britney Spears parody. All the Hannah merchandise you saw as a kid? That wad Britney in her prime.

Britney was omnipresent, not just in the USA but in the world. A ton of movies would have her songs playing. Every major billboard would feature her. Her commercials were playing everywhere. Her perfumes were sold everywhere. Her music videos were constantly playing. THAT'S why Britney is bigger. It's not about sales because they all have achieved impressive feats on that regard. Britney a global super star. It's like comparing Naomi Campbell to Bella Hadid. Britney transcended her role as a popstar and became a public figurehead. When she visited places like Italy, people would come to her hotel room to wave at her like she was queen Diana. It was just different tbh.

Britney's presence reached all age groups. My mom doesn't know or care about Taylor Swift and neither do any of my friends. This wasn't possible with Britney. 

imo, it's

britney > lady gaga > taylor

Taylor has by far more impressive feats with her music... but it rly just depends on what peak means. Britney fed an entire industry. This can't be tracked by just album sales.

Imagine thinking Lady Gaga  > Taylor 

dying-whoopi-gholdberg.gif

Just now, EmailMySwift said:

Imagine thinking Lady Gaga  > Taylor 

dying-whoopi-gholdberg.gif

i meant to put an equal sign but maybe it's taylor. idk im living through both and maybe you're right that it's taylor, but lady gaga poker face feels bigger than any solo thing taylor has ever done. It was like gangamn style. Lady gaga doing the meatdress was more talked about than anything taylor has done so it's a bit like what are we comparing here

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.