Are theatres more fun than arenas/ stadiums?

Into The Void

This year I been to 2 concerts. Saw Charlie Puth at a 6k amphitheater in May. The traffic was limited the seating was spacious and u could actually hear him speak. It only took 5 mins to get in and out.

Tonight I saw the Jonas Brothers at a 40k stadium. It took forever to get there. Lines for drinks were long there was so many people. Tbh the crowd was so loud O could not even hear them speak.  And it took 2 hrs to leave the venue.

In my opinion I had so much of a more fun time seeing Charlie even tho he's not a better performer but I just think small venues are WAYYY better. 

Thoughts?

Theatre is fine for small artists but bigger artists with demand have to do stadiums because it would be a struggle for most fans to get tickets (not that it already isn't)

Edited by ugo

Depends on the artist and the show and not so much about the size of the crowd 

• Like 2

Yeah I tend to agree but it's about demand as opposed to creating a better experience. Smaller venues will always be better if you love the artist performing

Recently saw HAIM at a 1,600 capacity theater and it was incredible, but Taylor or Beyonce could never perform there. Artists will only perform where they can get the most audience and I guess the overall point of this thread is that seeing smaller artists in theaters is a blast and provides a uniquely fun experience in contrast to the huge stadium shows of the likes of Eras and Ren

Some of my favorite concerts ever were at small clubs and huge stadiums so it really depends on who’s playing and the venue itself. 

though somehow arenas remain the worst ever

6 minutes ago, Don said:

Depends on the artist and the show and not so much about the size of the crowd 

I dunno about you but the seats tonight were so small I felt like a sardine I had so much more room at that theater. I was just more enjoyable cause I could actually have my space lol

1 minute ago, fauxtography said:

Some of my favorite concerts ever were at small clubs and huge stadiums so it really depends on who’s playing and the venue itself. 

though somehow arenas remain the worst ever

Arenas are always the worst huh, too small to feel like a real phenomenon/event and connect with the audience in an effervescent way but too large to be intimate and connect with the performers meaningfully

I think I hate stadiums and I kinda never wanna dona stadium concert ever again. I have only ever been to arenas

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, One Rude Boy said:

Arenas are always the worst huh, too small to feel like a real phenomenon/event and connect with the audience in an effervescent way but too large to be intimate and connect with the performers meaningfully

Pretty much. Usually longer to get into than stadiums (from my experience), usually bad stage level, like you said too big to be intimate yet somehow feels too small to be larger than life and magical like a stadium. 

also pretty much always inside and ******* hot. outdoor stadiums >>>>>

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

Pretty much. Usually longer to get into than stadiums (from my experience), usually bad stage level, like you said too big to be intimate yet somehow feels too small to be larger than life and magical like a stadium. 

also pretty much always inside and ******* hot. outdoor stadiums >>>>>

The stadiums are indoors here. Its too hot in Texas for Outdoor stadiums in summer :deadbanana4: that would be worse its been 108 degrees for 3 weeks straight. 

It completely has to do with the artist. If they are better with an intimate setting than yes but if they have dancers, stages, effects etc then arenas are a lot more fun.

:skull: who sits in a concert 

Generally, I find that smaller venues are better, but larger tours have more resources to put on a show.  It begins to even out.

• Thumbs Down 1

I think it depends on the show. Like The Eras Tour was a blast in a big stadium and that’s the only way it would have worked. But to this day I still enjoy the theatre version of the Monster Ball more than the arena version (not that that one was and by any stretch).

I prefer stadium tours if I’m on the floor or lower level seating. Nothing beats the roar of the crowd and bass. I definitely prefer theatres over arenas though. Arenas always felt cheap to me and I didn’t like the sound quality at my venue.

Depends how you use the space, some shows are huge spectacles built for stadiums, but I wouldn’t go to a stadium show to see an artist stand on stage and just sing for two hours, the production needs to justify it. Likewise for huge productions being in theatres, it feels a little awkward and impersonal.

I guess it depends on the type of show. I’ve been to release parties (rose land ball room NY) Hulu theatre, Madison square garden & MetLife.

the Hulu theater one was a bunch of reggaeton acts which was a mess, that show should of been at the garden.

co-headlining tours should be done in arenas. If the type of show is more intimate I would say theatres. and since ‘massive tours’ and big productions are a thing now, I’d say stadiums. All depends.

Theaters and clubs are the best, as they're actually built for acoustics, so the sound tends to be way better than an open arena/stadium. 

I always notice when I go to small venues / theatres that the opening act’s microphone sounds way way clearer than the main act

Whats the reason for this? Is it because headlining acts usually lip sync?

I like the small ball rooms, like bars etc.

It's more personal and a chance to meet or touch the artists hands 

I saw Allday, Maggie at one and soon illy, 360 and Raye.

The smaller the venue the better I hate large crowds 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer arena shows but it’s a nightmare to get tickets, at least you have a better chance to snatch a ticket if is at a Stadium 

I enjoyed all the stadium shows I've seen. 

I saw the ANTI Tour in both a stadium and an arena and much preferred the stadium show. The energy just hits different. 

10 hours ago, Insanity said:

The stadiums are indoors here. Its too hot in Texas for Outdoor stadiums in summer :deadbanana4: that would be worse its been 108 degrees for 3 weeks straight. 

Oh lmao that would suck! Guess I've never been to a hot one. Even in sunny LA any outdoor stadium I've seen has been perf.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.