Brazil's High Court rules that homophobic hate speech is now punishable by prison

Scars

Parada do Orgulho LGBT volta às ruas de São Paulo e quer incidir nas  eleições - Revista Pauta

Judges had previously ruled in 2019 that homophobic hate speech is a crime equivalent to racism, but earlier decisions pertained to the LGBTQ+ community as a whole rather than attacks on specific individuals.

A near-unanimous ruling in a Brazillian High Court has ruled that homophobic hate speech is on the same level as racist hate speech – and is punishable with a prison sentence.

Supreme Federal Court (STF) on Tuesday (22 August) ruled that homophobia is a crime, much like other forms of hate speech. Lead judge on the case, Justice Edson Fachin, said in his ruling that protecting LGBTQ+ citizens under the law was a “constitutional imperative.”

Article 20 of the Brazillian Penal Code states that practising, inducing, or inciting discrimination “based on race, colour, ethnicity, religion, or national origin” is punishable by one to three years in prison and a substantial fine.

Other hate speech protections already imposed in Brazillian law extend to HIV-positive individuals. Those found guilty of discriminating against HIV-positive people can face one to four years in prison.

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/08/24/brazil-high-court-supreme-court-homophobia/

Edited by Scars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:clap3:

ahhh slay Brazil :clap3:

:clap3:

What are lgbt right like overall in Brazil? I know there’s a very strong lgbt community there but I had always heard the country is unsafe in general so I figured hate crimes were prevalent. Would love to be educated here! 

We love to see it :clap3:

And they are still pro Russia,one of the most homophobic countries plus support the invasion of Ukraine.

• Thumbs Down 5

50 minutes ago, brooklyndaddy said:

What are lgbt right like overall in Brazil? I know there’s a very strong lgbt community there but I had always heard the country is unsafe in general so I figured hate crimes were prevalent. Would love to be educated here! 

Brazil is a crazy place. There are a lot of homophobes at the same time that a drag queen has mainstream #1 smash hit songs and play on pop radio on a daily basis. 

I think it's not so different from the USA to the point that it's very different if u're in LA or in Texas, for example. Brazil has the same thing. 

U can live very freely in a big city, of course there's chances that something bad will happen to u, when u're in a big city violence can always happen, there's crazy people around -- but this is everywhere in the world. 

in a general perspective, u can live freely & very happy being queer in a Medium or Big city here. That's my take. There's countless safe places to go and have fun and no one will care at all if they see a gay couple with hands tied in a mall in São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. 

Edited by Selegend

2 minutes ago, Britney Spears said:

What happened to freedom of speech? 

freedom of speech stops when it gets against people just being who they are.

what happened to the freedom of being who u are without being attacked on the street?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, ontherocks said:

support the invasion of Ukraine.

:confused:

President Lula literally said during a BRICS conference on Johannesburg yesterday that he hopes for peace in Ukraine and the end of the war.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, Scars said:

:confused:

President Lula literally said during a BRICS conference on Johannesburg yesterday that he hopes for peace in Ukraine and the end of the war.

Yes, he hopes for peace in the way that Ukraine stops defending itself and leaves the occupied territory to Russia 

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Britney Spears said:

What happened to freedom of speech? 

Well homophobia/hate speech in general aren't freedom of speech, especially when it incites violence. Freedom of expression always comes with reasonable limitations so lock them up!

PgRDVMs.thumb.gif.42c6364ed4cf066255f69c

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.