Have the MPZs established themselves?

Cain

After the muddy waters of the late 2010s and early 2020s where girls like Halsey and Camila might’ve been able to establish themselves but faltered, are we out of the woods and have the Gen Z MPG’s finally shown themselves clearly?

Are Doja, Dua, Billie and Olivia this Gen’s Gaga, Rih, Katy and Taylor? And are they here to stay?

And where does all of that leave Ariana? Is she the Queen Mother for ushering in a post-late 2000s popgirl era?

spacer.png

only ariana, billie, and dua so far

uk BAWDIE Dua's inclusion amongst US-girlies makes her status as an MPG even more impressive :clap3:

I think it is safe to say that Dua, Billie, Doja, and Olivia have established themselves. They are the face of the new generation.

Ariana doesn't really belong here. She was almost in her 4th era by the time Dua/Billie took off. She's hard to place for me because she debuted in 2013 which is close to Gaga/Katy/Kesha/Adele/etc but she's also considered a streaming era girl. I'd say she's in a lane of her own because the girlies that debuted around her all failed to last (remember when ATRL was using Meghan Trainor to drag her dd?) :gaycat2:

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 2

Ariana's been a successful popstar for a decade at this point, so I'd say she established herself a while ago. 

But yes, the other four have established themselves; they've all been seeing great success, and as of late, they've all been smashing concurrently. 

2 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

Ariana is pushing 30 and debuted 10 years ago, she's not a gen z girl

She already is 30 and if we’re going based off of age Dua and Doja aren’t Gen Z girls either. I think OP is referring to impact on the particular age group.

I've always felt like ariana was part of the generation with the girlies like miley/selena/demi. ik her music debut was later than them but she's their age and I guess miley's first album after leaving hollywood records/disney was also in 2013? 

• Like 3

yes. we're finally able to say that doja, billie, dua, and olivia are the new MPGs. 

and as we stating the fact, it's about time for the new battles and wars.

this will be fun, may the new stan era begins  :fan:

20 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

Ariana is pushing 30 and debuted 10 years ago, she's not a gen z girl

14 minutes ago, SimpleKindofLife said:

She already is 30 and if we’re going based off of age Dua and Doja aren’t Gen Z girls either. I think OP is referring to impact on the particular age group.

I’m moreso talking about what popgirl gen she’d belong in, cause there seems to be a clear difference between the

Gaga, Katy, Kesha, Taylor, Adele, Rih, gen

and the

Billie, Dua, Doja, Halsey, Cardi, Olivia gen

and Ariana just kinda fits in between, she came up with Iggy and Meghan but they left the spotlight really soon after. But Ariana was kind of the first one to establish herself after the Gaga, Rih etc gen

Billie and Dua yes. Olivia needs another album to solidify anything and with Doja I feel like once the GP says no she’s gone. We’ll see.

Ariana is interesting because she’s a 10s pop girl but could never really compete with the likes of Rihanna, Katy, Gaga, Taylor in her prime but also couldn’t keep up with Billie, Olivia, or even Dua in their primes either. But I guess she can be classified as a Gen Z pop girl just because majority of her success has been with streaming since the start of her career, and that’s how Gen Z consume music.

Ariana is tricky, since she debuted a decade ago but still has a strong Gen Z fanbase. She’s like a zillennial popstar.

But yes, Billie/Doja/Dua/Olivia seem like the established pop girls rn. We could end up seeing younger Gen Z artists (post-2005) breaking out soon tho

Ariana isn't exactly a Gen Z popstar and she has smash eras prior, but TUN was definitely one of the first few albums that signified the start of Gen Z being the leaders of general music consumption up until now. She sort of feels like she belongs to the Halsey, Meghan, Iggy type era but she's managed to outlast them all.  :rip: Not to mention most of her online audience is on the younger side. It's a bit difficult tbh

Definitely would say they've all managed to establish themselves as the new leaders at the moment though, longevity is another thing but I'm sure they'll be fine in that aspect as well. They're all leading while doing completely different things compared to the past era of the MPGs who mostly did dance-pop, it's very exciting. 

Edited by Billionaire

Ariana feels more Miley/Selena generation than Bilie/Olivia. 

But yeah, she's debuted in the middle i guess. But she feels more like Miley/Selena gen. At least for me 

Billie yes.  She has had three successful albums, tours well, and has a strong fanbase.  

Dua - somewhat.  She only has two albums so it is a little uncertain where her career will go.  She also does not have as strong of a fanbase Billie which makes her vulnerable of underperforming.

Doja - no - Her situation is a little odd.  I would have said yes 4 months ago but now she is looking like she is on thin ice.

Olivia: - TBD - she has one album (-and only like 14 songs).  She has a lot of promise with a budding fanbase, hits to drive general interest, and acclaim, but a lot is riding on the sophomore album.  Also, I think she made a mistake taking such a long break between Sour and Guts.  Sour was pretty much over as an era by fall of 2021 and she released nothing for almost 2 years.  At least Billie had droplets, Dua had one kiss, and Doja went straight from Hot Pink to Planet Her.  

• Thanks 1

no I don't like Doja anymore

80s Madonna Janet  Kylie

90s Mariah Celine Whitney

00s Britney Christina Beyoncé

1st half of 10s Gaga Katy Rihanna

2nd half of 10s Adele Ariana Taylor

20s so far it's Billie Dua and Doja. Olivia is questionable.

Imma need Camila to hurry tf up and join them because...:dancehall3:

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Billie yes.  She has had three successful albums, tours well, and has a strong fanbase.  

Dua - somewhat.  She only has two albums so it is a little uncertain where her career will go.  She also does not have as strong of a fanbase Billie which makes her vulnerable of underperforming.

Doja - no - Her situation is a little odd.  I would have said yes 4 months ago but now she is looking like she is on thin ice.

Olivia: - TBD - she has one album (-and only like 14 songs).  She has a lot of promise with a budding fanbase, hits to drive general interest, and acclaim, but a lot is riding on the sophomore album.  Also, I think she made a mistake taking such a long break between Sour and Guts.  Sour was pretty much over as an era by fall of 2021 and she released nothing for almost 2 years.  At least Billie had droplets, Dua had one kiss, and Doja went straight from Hot Pink to Planet Her.  

I mean.. Vampire, a ballad released Fourth of July week debuted at #1, is about to spend its seventh week in the top 10. Her promo single with no radio support is about to debut top 10 as well. So I’d say she’s doing pretty well. Billie was struggling having a hit in her HTE era at this point 

4 minutes ago, Habibro said:

I mean.. Vampire, a ballad released Fourth of July week debuted at #1, is about to spend its seventh week in the top 10. Her promo single with no radio support is about to debut top 10 as well. So I’d say she’s doing pretty well. Billie was struggling having a hit in her HTE era at this point 

She is doing great. Don’t get me wrong. But there is just a lot riding on this album for her career. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.