Nearly 2 years later, the final verdict: ATW 5 min or ATW 10 min version?

Just a Gay on ATRL

Which version is better - the 5 min or 10 min version?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. .

• The 5 minute version
    • The 10 minute version

the 10 minute version easily.

I was never a huge fan of the 5 minute version and it was one of those "overrated" songs to me, but when I heard the 10 minute version I changed

the additional verse. You kept me like a secret but I kept you like an oath. The final outro.

those additions elevated the song to a whole new level 

• Like 3

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, naval23 said:

the additional verse. You kept me like a secret but I kept you like an oath. The final outro.

This.

It was already one of her strongest songs lyrically, but the oath line is the best in the song, and only in the TMV.

And I literally cried the first time I heard, "Cause in this city's barren cold / I still remember the first fall of snow / And how it glistened as it fell / I remember it all too well." :cries:

• Like 4

The original 5 minute version is perfect. :heart:

Edited by vuelve88
  • Like 1

I hate the new instrumental for the 10 minute version, so I prefer the original. if they had just kept it acoustic then the 10 minute version would clear easily

6 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

The original 5 minute version is perfect. :heart:

agreed

5 minute OG >>>>>>

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, naval23 said:

The secret/oath line is a masterpiece and I can’t believe they would shave it. I also love the “I’ll get older but your lovers stay my age” and “twin flame bruise” lines.

• Like 1

I love the extended version’s second verse, but that overall version doesn’t carry the same emotion as the og. It also starts to drag on after the bridge and goes from storytelling to just throwing shade which kinda messes up the flow of the story for me.

the 2012 OG version that Liz Rose edited for a reason, plus Nathan Chapman on the production.

5 Minute TV >>>> 10 Minute TV. Like another user mentioned, the flow of the story kind of falls apart, and it turns into just shade. Another thing (and I hope I'm not attacked for saying it bc Taylor is one of my faves), there's no way this was the "original" 10 minute version lyrics. Like, they scream Swiftian lyricism from this decade, not 2012-era Taylor. So it just doesn't feel as genuine as the 5 minute version.

• Like 3

5 min OG >>> 

I do agree that the extra verses are great, but I just don't think they were super necessary, ie: whatever pruning Liz and Taylor did was worth it. And the 10 min version is basically an 8 minute version with an unnecessarily long 2 min outro  

10 minute is significantly better, never loved the 5 minute version.

the ten minute version is an epic. she snapped so hard

1 hour ago, Taylor fanboy said:

The only correct answer 

The perfect All Too Well for me would be:

All of the 5-minute version plus:

- the second chorus "you kept me like a secret but I kept you like an oath"

- outro, especially "'Cause in this city's barren cold / I still remember the first fall of snow / And how it glistened as it fell

I remember it all too well..."

The original production (soft rock) is better than Jack's new production, although I understand why they make it more pop.

I love that in the original version, after the burst out line "hey you call me up again just to break me like a promise", everything just went quiet. I think that was perfect. On the othet hand, the 10-minute version just went on and on and on, which makes the bridge so exhausting for me. I also cringe a bit in some of the lines ("that's what happened, you" and "it's supposed to be fun, turning twenty-one").

Still Taylor's best song tho.

• Like 1

5 min easily … it was cut down for a reason. Liz Rose did an great job!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.