Lorde released Solar Power album 2 years ago. Thoughts on it today?

NOW

I never got the hate for it. Such a nice, cute album! And such a different vibe for her too!

I mean, maybe it pales in comparison to Melodrama a bit, but I still think it's severely overhated. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOW

• stjosephprey4us

• ChapelHooker

• sweetblindness

Top Posters In This Topic

I only like Stoned At The Nail Salon, the rest isn't for me.

Blando, boring ****. The most dissapointing album of the decade maybe

What a waste of good will and hype with the GP. The era did her entirely zero favors, and worst of all painted her as boring (which she is not). Classic case of Jack Antonoff’s copy and paste from around that period: Clairo’s album, this, Chemtrails, Daddy’s Home, Bleachers album, and one other all sound the exact same. I honestly dk if she will ever be able to recover from it :sailing:

• Like 2

And I say all that as one of the 6 ppl who actually liked it and replayed it :ghostface:

I knew it would be a panned mess the second the cover art leaked. ugly album but mood ring is still a bop so there's that

this being 2 years old already is creepy. aint no way time goes this fast wtf

I'm not sure I've ever been more disappointed by an album. After it released, I tried to force myself to like it, and I revisited it yet again after hearing it live, but I still don't love it and seldom listen to it. There's a decent EP in there, but tracks 6-10 kill the momentum entirely. It didn't help that Lorde hyped the album up way too much in her emails for one to two years prior to its release, and after she said her forthcoming album was "inspired by her time in Antarctica," the reveal of Solar Power was just...confusing. The album had so much more potential and it's disappointing knowing what Lorde is capable of compared to what she delivered (though, again, some of the songs are quite good).

Heard it

Forgot about it a few hours later

Never thought about it after that. 

help did she really say this album was inspired by her trip to Antarctica :deadbanana4:

Cameltoe Chariot

Unfortunately this was the album that made me reassess my love for her :chick1:

I used to adore her but now I find her voice to be extremely lacking and all of her music feels empty :chick3:

Imagine calling "boring" or "disappointing" the album that contains this two MASTERPIECES...

...along with other exquisite, silky, top notch pop music.

A misunderstood classic. Some skips here and there but it’s pretty solid :gayorkcat2:

Still indifferent. It was a NO for me.

The Path, title-track and Mood Ring are the only things I kept. Love the drums in the first and the harmonies in the later. The baggy change of beat is still cute in SP, although Primal Scream did it better. I wish she had kept that upbeat sound for the record. The slower songs still meander, are mostly tuneless and with nothing interesting to say. I still feel the same about them since day one. It’s not easy breezy to be a girl with a guitar

Edited by liquiddiamonds

I was a fan of it upon release, and I've only grown to appreciate it more and more over time to the point that it's one of my all-time favorite albums of any artist. I never understood the hate behind the album, I loved the theming and the production was perfect for its messages, especially in light of COVID. No album better represents life in your mid-twenties and learning to settle and slow down while gripping with the uncertainties of adulthood.

My highlights of the album are:

1. "The Path"
  2. "Solar Power"
  3. "California"
  4. "Stoned at the Nail Salon"
  5. "Secrets from a Girl (Who's Seen it All)"
  6. "Mood Ring"
  7. "Oceanic Feeling"
  8. "Helen of Troy"

I've always liked it but I think I like it even more now that I've revisited it and because it reminds me a lot of that first year after covid when most of us were figuring out what to do next in our lives.

• ATRL Moderator

Still a good album. Not a masterpiece, but I love to put it on from time to time, and it is definitely overly hated. The Path, Fallen Fruit, Stoned, SP and Mood Ring are all masterpieces.

Very bland album. Its a prime example of why bland sometimes is worse than bad.

That being said, i love California and Fallen Fruit, especially the former. Secrets From a Girl and the title track are also enjoyable depending on the day (almost a so bad its good situation, ngl :rip:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.