Disney Employee Calls Out Rachel Zegler: "There’s no respect for what Disney did "

Starfish

8 minutes ago, Buffy said:

I just watched the interviews. Yikes. The way she presents herself is off-putting and arrogant. When she said how they rewrote the script and Snow White no longer dreams of true love nor does she get saved by a prince but is a strong leader — GIRL, just say you’re making an entirely different movie about yourself. That ain’t Snow White. It’s Snow Zegler. Sounds like it’s all about her and her take on how she’d want to be portrayed as a princess. She did a horrific job marketing this movie. Is Disney sure they wanna move forward with this actress? 

She’s a theater kid. She can come on too strong, I will give you guys that. But she did not write this movie and is not responsible for the direction it’s taking. This response is so out of proportion just because “woman has too many opinions.” Why does she have to revere the original movie? She’s not in that one, she’s in this one. 

Emma Watson said nearly identical things about Belle while promoting her Beauty and the Beast remake and didn’t get nearly this kind of backlash, it’s so dumb. 

• Like 6

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GivingCher

• C-Amber

• Buffy

• Onyxmage

2 minutes ago, GivingCher said:

She’s a theater kid. She can come on too strong, I will give you guys that. But she did not write this movie and is not responsible for the direction it’s taking. This response is so out of proportion just because “woman has too many opinions.” Why does she have to revere the original movie? She’s not in that one, she’s in this one. 

Emma Watson said nearly identical things about Belle while promoting her Beauty and the Beast remake and didn’t get nearly this kind of backlash, it’s so dumb. 

I honestly didn’t follow Emma’s Beauty and the Beast at the time, so I’m not sure what the backlash sounded like back then for her. I haven’t seen it yet either. This Rachel girl isn’t doing a good job selling the movie to me. I think she should’ve just stayed quiet about the changes made to the storyline and let people watch for themselves. This controversy is backfiring on her.

I think a big part of the reception is negative is because Rachel doesn't have a likeable way of engaging. She is very direct but not in a contructive way.

Snow White has had different adaptations and whether it was Illy Collins (Mirror Mirror), Ginnifer (Once upon a Time), Kristen Stewart (Snow White & The Huntsman) and they us ethe source material and all still are bad *ss characters in their own ways. Some still have the Prince/love aspect and it doesn't take anything from their character.

And yes there is a lot of bias because of her not being white. But the interviews she has given don't really give the idea that it feels like it will offer a lot that hasn't been done already. To then also add the layer of her putting so much emphasis on how old the og cartoon movie is and how she never really liked it, kinda puts a negative layer to it, like why do I want to see this movie? Like what has changed so drastically for you to sign on? Because the negative and vague answers in your interviews so far, doesn't really makes me want to buy a ticket.

Edited by J-esper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

good, get her unbearable ass 

why was this lightning rod cast in the new Hunger Games. She's gonna ruin it I fear.

This is all ridiculous and the people hating on her are the unbearable ones. Harrison Ford literally said for years he hated Star Wars and his character. Robert Pattinson wasn’t a fan of twilight and no one batted and eye. This girl says she wasn’t the biggest fan of the original because she thought the witch was scary and everyone wants to bite off her head, be racist, and use ignorant conservative talking points. Spare me

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It was never that serious for the entire internet to turn on this girl for a live action remake they wouldn’t be interested in anyways 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, GivingCher said:

The whole point is she's trying to have her cake and eat it too. She's starring in SNOW WHITE. Not Girlboss 2023. Don't try to capitalize off the original movie if you think it's **** and the plot and character should be entirely different. I hope these remakes continue to fail for that reason. If the originals are so bad/dated/whatever, then don't remake them.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Walk_Away21 said:

The whole point is she's trying to have her cake and eat it too. She's starring in SNOW WHITE. Not Girlboss 2023. Don't try to capitalize off the original movie if you think it's **** and the plot and character should be entirely different. I hope these remakes continue to fail for that reason. If the originals are so bad/dated/whatever, then don't remake them.

She’s starring in Snow White 2024, not Snow White 1937. They’re making changes to modernize the story for today’s audience. This should not be a hard concept to grasp. :rip:

• Like 2

Rachel did nothing wrong and this walking corpse needs to realise his father and Walt Disney also made significant changes to the Brothers Grimm version of the fairytale to make it more palatable to the audiences of the time. Fairytales are supposed to change with the times as they get told and retold over and over again. That is how they've worked for centuries. Just because the 1937 film adaptation is culturally significant in some ways doesn't mean it's the definitive version of the tale that all later adaptations have to strictly adhere to.

Mind you, we haven't seen any official footage of this film, nor have we read the script or have any real knowledge as to how they're adapting the story. Rachel is not currently filming nor promoting the movie because she is on strike and she did not write the script or direct the movie. The hate campaign against her by right-wing media based on an old interview is very weird and it's honestly pretty disheartening to see supposedly progressive/left-leaning people fall for it too.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Century said:

Like I said in my post if it was any other classic of this magnitude being scrutinized by the lead of it's remake, the drags would be even worse. No matter how you feel about Disney, Snow White was possibly the only time their film studio was ahead of the pack in every possible way. Very rarely in the history of media did a first attempt at something get so much right about what the genre/medium would go on to be.

Disney PR letting her give these comments about such an important piece of history points toward this being another lazy cashgrab from a corporation that's slowly rotting from the inside-out. If there was ever a live action remake to really show care towards it was this one. People are rightfully outraged. There's always an element of racism at play with any online hate train but to blame ALL of the criticism on that is more than a little intellectually lazy.

Disney and Snow White is very close to what James Cameron has done with Avatar. Was it ahead of the pack on a technological level? yeah, it was. As I said in my original post, I don't think the story is anything to write home about. I understand it if people FEEL she's disrespected the story (which I argue she never really did, all she said is that in 2023 the movie's plot is dated.... which is kind of true). However, the level of vitriol isn't really worth it (in my opinion, obvs)

Regarding your second little paragraph, I did not say that racism is the only thing at play. However, IF people are trying to criticize the remake and the direction the remake is going in... why are they attacking the actress? I'm not saying there isn't any merit to the criticism to Disney applying these girl boss feminism takes to their Princesses in the remakes.. however why is it that the hate train ends up only going after the actress (who sure, might have been abrasive in an interview from ages ago) instead of criticizing the company (or heck, even the writer or director of the remake).

Like, this thread is about the son of Snow White's director going on about how she's disrespecting his father's movie, when as we've both pointed out, it all started with the corporation. Like, I'm sorry, but Rachel Zegler is not the one who decided this Snow White was going to be "woke". So, yeah, the main reason this whole thing is falling on her specifically (because, even in those clips, Gal Gadot is spouting the same PR talking points as Zegler) is because people were already mad that she was cast as Snow White and have found a "good" reason to drum up a hate train against her

Edited by DRod93
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

The backlash she is getting is a bit ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Who ******* care? If you don't want to Watch It don't watch It and watch the old movie. No one force you to Watch the new thing and doesn't delete the old.

The Disney adult lovera are the worst. Their taste in cinema is abysmal so they can spend hours to talk how changing the colour of the painted nails of a character Is a tragedy :dies:

And they're 30.

Of course any discussion about how a choice could be related to some artistic visual vision just doesn'exist. Their taste in cinema Is Copy carbon movies so...

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

the way im hearing about the controversy before the movie itself :rip: yall doing too much on her

People keep ranting about her saying she hates the original when she literally never said that. :rip:

It's scary how right wing grifters start these hate campaigns from nothing and everyone just go along with it.

• Like 2

I think the hate on her is pretty awful. Imo I think she is kinda offputting sometimes but the amount of just HATE is absurd. People (*cough* men) who have done awwwwwful things usually do not get this treatment. 

I don't have a horse in this race because I'm so tired of Hollywood's lack of originality.  However, this just feels like people being upset over women having an opinion. 

• Like 1

"Zegler also continues to receive backlash after her own response to the criticism, where she wished the world would be a kinder place. Savy internet users were quick to point out that she led a hate campaign against fellow actress Gina Carano just 3 years ago."

REMINDER: Gina Carano lost her acting engagements because she very publically spewed transphobia, anti-vaxxing and anti-masking conspiracy theories in relation to Covid-19 and supported the January 6th insurrection and THEN stated that American conservatives are a persecuted minority that face the same hardship as Jewish people in Nazi Germany. 

This Anti-Zegler outrage is very obviously the next right-wing grift of the news cycle. And anybody who is trying to invoke sympathy for the fact that somebody was criticized and lost their job for a far right political extremist, is VERY obviously part of the right-wing grift. 

• Like 9

I think the point to be made here is that these live-action remakes will be forgotten in 20 years while the originals will continue to live on and be revered. It's all such a colossal waste of money, energy and mental health for the actors they cast that inevitably will face backlash. The public is saying loud and clear they don't want these modern updates to the classics that they love and that's showing at the box office.

Edited by nostalgic

2 hours ago, TheCheshireCat said:

They have mascot-ized her as like the ultimate cringe “Hollywood” sjw who is being picked apart for the most unremarkable pop-feminist statements ever. Also now that the little mermaid is out and came and went they need to funnel their anger into something else and unfortunately she is a perfect candidate.

Exactly!

This whole situation + Little Mermaid fiaco is just another Alt-right pipeline but for Disney adults :skull:

Hell, even i've seen people on TikTok have meltdowns because they think Rapunzel would be bald in Tangled live action even though the people who made those claims were literally joking :skull:

• Like 1

The thread title is kinda inaccurate? Hand (the Disney employee) was rightfully calling out Disney, as the changes are from them, he didn't even mention Zegler :rip: 

Yes, Zegler has made comments, but she's neither the writer nor the director, and she's not that big of a star to be able to dictate the direction of a movie, so any of the changes people are complaining about is on Disney.

1 hour ago, sillycilla said:

This is all ridiculous and the people hating on her are the unbearable ones. Harrison Ford literally said for years he hated Star Wars and his character. Robert Pattinson wasn’t a fan of twilight and no one batted and eye. This girl says she wasn’t the biggest fan of the original because she thought the witch was scary and everyone wants to bite off her head, be racist, and use ignorant conservative talking points. Spare me

That part, that part :cm:

1 hour ago, Funhouse said:

Rachel did nothing wrong and this walking corpse needs to realise his father and Walt Disney also made significant changes to the Brothers Grimm version of the fairytale to make it more palatable to the audiences of the time. Fairytales are supposed to change with the times as they get told and retold over and over again. That is how they've worked for centuries. Just because the 1937 film adaptation is culturally significant in some ways doesn't mean it's the definitive version of the tale that all later adaptations have to strictly adhere to.

This needs to be pinned to the top of the thread, the nerve of people acting offended to them making ~changes~ to the 1937 film when that version was not at all accurate to the original fairy tale :deadbanana4:

Edited by Headlock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walk_Away21 said:

why was this lightning rod cast in the new Hunger Games. She's gonna ruin it I fear.

Her list of upcoming projects is impressive, she is slated to appear in like 5 big-budget movies/shows in the next 2 years. Her agent must be really good.

britneyentrima4cm3.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.