BTS member dragged by Muslim fans for sharing Frank Ocean song

Talento

BTS‘s RM is currently under fire for sharing what some believe to be an Islamophobic song, though it has been repeatedly debated.

On August 16, RM shared a track to his Instagram story, which is not unusual for the star. The song shared is a track from Frank Ocean’s debut studio album, Channel Orange, titled “Bad Religion.”

Like many of his other songs, “Bad Religion” is about love, with this track depicting Frank sharing his experience with an unrequited love with a taxi driver. When the song was released, several lines from the chorus caught attention, inspiring debate over their meaning.

And you say ‘Allahu Akbar’

I told him, ‘Don’t curse me’

‘Bo Bo, you need prayer’

I guess it couldn’t hurt me

If it brings me to my knees, it’s a bad religion

— Frank Ocean’s “Bad Religion”

Allahu Akbar is an Arabic phrase often used in Islam, meaning “God is greatest,” Frank Ocean’s response of “Don’t curse me” has been interpreted in multiple ways. A common one is that Ocean already suffers from the “religion” of love and doesn’t wish to have another.

Some Muslims have found the song’s lyrics problematic despite having a double meaning, leading to the current mixed reaction RM faces over sharing the song as some seek to clarify its deeper meanings.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/bts-rm-backlash-sharing-islamaphobic-song-frank-ocean-bad-religion/

Edited by Talento

that song is mid anyways. suddenly i'm a bts fan x3. frank ocean is insanely overrated

• Thumbs Down 1

I was about to react strongly, but I took a step back and realized the “backlash” is a tweet with 6k liked that got completely ratioed multiple times. 

This is all still very stupid but “someone made a tweet!!!” is such low tier news and I hate articles that try to rile me up. (Idk if that was the intent here but point stands)

Suddenly, the wheels are in motion, and I a a i, i'm ready to sail any ocean

Suddenly i'm wearing a burka and practicing Islamism. 

• Thumbs Down 1

good for him

suddenly i’m frank ocean

Suddenly people know my name

Suddenly everything has changed

Suddenly I feel so alive

Suddenly twitter trends are news.

No one with a real life cares.

You haven't truly made it until someone has put a fatwa on your head :clap3:

Tell me something this RM didn't do?

He said N word

Mocked dark skinned people

Mocked women

Kept abusing his own band mates verbally by making them jokes

Now he's mocking religion? Shocking

suddenly i'm akbar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.