YouTube begins mass takedowns of medical misinformation in massive policy overhaul

Vermillion

On 8/16/2023 at 12:19 AM, spree said:

so will youtube.  You don't go to TikTok to watch a 5 minute video. 

No one is able to watch a 5 minute video any longer :giraffe: 

• Thumbs Down 1

22 hours ago, Dephira said:

No one is able to watch a 5 minute video any longer :giraffe: 

this legend keeps garnering 500k+ views for her 30+ min vids

video essays have been it for a while now 

the brainfried tektak zombies can SEETHE

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 6:25 AM, HungryByTheBuffet said:

Ofc North-TRL foam at the mouth over the sweet sweet sounds of censorship :coffee2:

YouTube is a private company who already don’t allow multiple forms of content, and prohibiting the spread of harmful medical misinformation on such a platform is not censorship :marshmallow:

4 hours ago, Headlock said:

YouTube is a private company who already don’t allow multiple forms of content, and prohibiting the spread of harmful medical misinformation on such a platform is not censorship :marshmallow:

I fully agree but since when does censorship not include private institutions in its definition? :giraffe: afraid you're wrong there, it is a form of censorship whether people support it or not and whether it's a good or bad thing for the world, that's all, it's very objective babe.

2 hours ago, HungryByTheBuffet said:

I fully agree but since when does censorship not include private institutions in its definition? :giraffe: afraid you're wrong there, it is a form of censorship whether people support it or not and whether it's a good or bad thing for the world, that's all, it's very objective babe.

Ahhhh, so you adhere to a fully anarchist-libertarian viewpoint in all aspects of life then, yes? :marshmallow:

15 hours ago, Headlock said:

Ahhhh, so you adhere to a fully anarchist-libertarian viewpoint in all aspects of life then, yes? :marshmallow:

Well... at the very least I believe a government should have minimal control over the free media and information, especially the internet where people share and explore ideas and thoughts together, do you disagree? does that mean you adhere to the authoritarian-dictator ideology? :bird:

9 hours ago, HungryByTheBuffet said:

Well... at the very least I believe a government should have minimal control over the free media and information, especially the internet where people share and explore ideas and thoughts together, do you disagree? does that mean you adhere to the authoritarian-dictator ideology? :bird:

YouTube is a Google-owned corporation, it is not free media :rip: You are not entitled to a platform whose guidelines you will violate with the content you choose to post, do you think you should be able to post p*rn on YouTube? Graphic violence? Hate speech? Cause all of that is banned too, so it seems more that you are being reactionary and pedantic (did you really expect anyone to take a comment using ‘NorthTRL’ seriously?) to cite a platform dis-allowing the spread of harmful medical misinformation as ~censorship~, when expanding that definition outward would mean that… literally all websites with user guidelines have some form of censorship :rip:

I mean, you could always visit 4chan or TruthSocial if you want the latest info on how to inject bleach to cure COVID :marshmallow:

• Like 2

Not surprised Google/YouTube is upholding the corporate healthcare/big pharma complex, which is in the business of keeping people sick but still alive, rather than healthy.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 8/21/2023 at 7:41 AM, Headlock said:

YouTube is a Google-owned corporation, it is not free media :rip: You are not entitled to a platform whose guidelines you will violate with the content you choose to post, do you think you should be able to post p*rn on YouTube? Graphic violence? Hate speech? Cause all of that is banned too, so it seems more that you are being reactionary and pedantic (did you really expect anyone to take a comment using ‘NorthTRL’ seriously?) to cite a platform dis-allowing the spread of harmful medical misinformation as ~censorship~, when expanding that definition outward would mean that… literally all websites with user guidelines have some form of censorship :rip:

I mean, you could always visit 4chan or TruthSocial if you want the latest info on how to inject bleach to cure COVID :marshmallow:

Well you were talking about my ideology, and that's what I quoted and replied to. :next:

Obv Google is Google, I wasn't citing the first amendment :skull: censorship is not illegal and is a very broadly defined term and all the things you mentioned do indeed fall under it, they are just accepted by the public because they are helpful to the users who wish to avoid that type of content on a site like YouTube or other social media.

The difference here is that some of the content described is not harmful, this is not about deleting videos of people selling the bleach injections, this is about the removal of videos and discussions of people sharing their experiences thoughts and opinions about brand new forms of treatments and vaccines that we do not have all the answers about and that weren't tested the way historically we know things should be.

You have so many democrats right now speaking out about the unease over-which the control the government has obtained over social media guidelines during COVID and have kept them since, this type of censorship is the kind that stifles actual scientific progress and idea sharing and that's why it's dangerous, I promise if you ask some questions you won't wake up a nazi 4channer, I believe in you xx.

NorthTRL is a classic saying, I'm sorry you lack the cultural necessities to appreciate this well timed and classic joke! :giraffe:

6 hours ago, HungryByTheBuffet said:

Well you were talking about my ideology, and that's what I quoted and replied to. :next:

Obv Google is Google, I wasn't citing the first amendment :skull: censorship is not illegal and is a very broadly defined term and all the things you mentioned do indeed fall under it, they are just accepted by the public because they are helpful to the users who wish to avoid that type of content on a site like YouTube or other social media.

The difference here is that some of the content described is not harmful, this is not about deleting videos of people selling the bleach injections, this is about the removal of videos and discussions of people sharing their experiences thoughts and opinions about brand new forms of treatments and vaccines that we do not have all the answers about and that weren't tested the way historically we know things should be.

You have so many democrats right now speaking out about the unease over-which the control the government has obtained over social media guidelines during COVID and have kept them since, this type of censorship is the kind that stifles actual scientific progress and idea sharing and that's why it's dangerous, I promise if you ask some questions you won't wake up a nazi 4channer, I believe in you xx.

NorthTRL is a classic saying, I'm sorry you lack the cultural necessities to appreciate this well timed and classic joke! :giraffe:

Do you believe tinctures cure cancer? Cause that’s what we’re talking about. Disallowing hacks and snake oil salesman from literally profiting off of the harm and death of vulnerable people who lack medical and health literacy is not censorship, and you continuing to call it that is a best exhaustingly pedantic, and at worst is deliberately polemic. Although I do love the lil’ mask slip of “I’m just asking questions!1!” :cooldown:

14 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

Not surprised Google/YouTube is upholding the corporate healthcare/big pharma complex, which is in the business of keeping people sick but still alive, rather than healthy.

So you're in favor of Medicare For All, I assume? :celestial5:

People in here who don't understand that homeopathy and "alternative medicine" is pseudoscience... :doc:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.