Madonna, Kylie, Sade, Björk, Aaliyah: the stories behind i-D’s most iconic covers

Virgos Groove

untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433775710.jpg?resize=1600:*untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433775718.jpg?resize=1600:*untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433774977.jpg?resize=1600:*untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433775797.jpg?resize=1600:*

untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433776103.jpg?resize=1600:*untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433776111.jpg?resize=1600:*untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1433776147.jpg?resize=1600:*

Sade: The issue was a turning point for i-D, because not only was it portrait and not landscape, but it was an image of someone who was escaping the London club scene. This was not only Sade's attempt at going for the big time, it was i-D's too. (Dylan Jones)

Madonna: When she arrived at the studio for the Mark Lebon portrait, she was wearing a black plain T-shirt. We decided if she could wink, we might put her on the cover. Terry was worried about her plain black tee, so I whipped off my brand new BOY white mohair jumper and stood around in my bra while she modeled it for the picture. (Caryn Franklin)

Kylie Minogue: She would review the film and any pictures she didn't like of herself, she basically cut out with a pair of scissors. Any picture you ever saw of Kylie was approved by Kylie; nothing ever went out that wasn't. I've never seen anyone have so much control or be so into their image. She was way ahead of everyone else.

Björk: Björk is an absolute delight. I remember we all sang opera together that day. (Pat McGrath)

Aaliyah: This was one of the last photo shoots Aaliyah did before she was killed in a plane crash. She was so young; it was crazy. The cover came out days after the accident; it was already at the printers when she died. (Matt Jones)

Naomi Campbel: lI love this cover because of the soup tin! I've always tried to collect anything with Campbell's on it… within reason of course, because Warhol is so expensive! (Naomi Campbell)

Gwen Stefani: Shooting Gwen Stefani in couture in Kentish Town, being serenaded by fans from neighboring council estates. It was the 250th Special. (Matt Jones)

x

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 1

Kylie Minogue: She would review the film and any pictures she didn't like of herself, she basically cut out with a pair of scissors. Any picture you ever saw of Kylie was approved by Kylie; nothing ever went out that wasn't. I've never seen anyone have so much control or be so into their image. She was way ahead of everyone else.

That's so me coded :deadbanana4:

Kylie's makes sense given it was the only control she basically had during the PWL era when almost everything else was decided for her.

Aaliyah's I was aware of as well - really haunting. 

beautiful covers, i love kylie's the most :flame: 

Madonna looks unrecognisable there to me, I can see now it's her but she looks different. Maybe it's her hair or make up. It actually looks a lot like Boy George to me, their styles matched.

Kylie :jonny6:

SADE  :jonnycat: KYLIE :jonnycat: BJORK :jonnycat:GWEN 

Kylie is giving head cuntress.

Always seen that pic of Aaliyah (breathtakingly beautiful) but didn't know what photoshoot it came from. Sade looks amazing as well.

Jamiroquoi voice of a generation 

period!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.