SCOTUS blocks OxyContin/Sackler $6B settlement, sides with Biden WH, allows appeals

Espresso

The Supreme Court making 2 back to back really good rulings the last few days…has hell froze over 

3 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

The Supreme Court making 2 back to back really good rulings the last few days…has hell froze over 

A 20% approval rating has the capability to do that. Alito and Thomas getting wrecked in the Beltway press daily too.

Just now, Espresso said:

A 20% approval rating has the capability to do that. Alito and Thomas getting wrecked in the Beltway press daily too.

If there’s any of the judges I think legit care about what their elite liberal friends think of them, it’s Kavanaugh and Roberts. 

The Sackler family has decades of American blood on their hands, they need to suffer the consequences in some way 

1 minute ago, Bears01 said:

If there’s any of the judges I think legit care about what their elite liberal friends think of them, it’s Kavanaugh and Roberts.

Hence neither of them siding with those I mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Hence neither of them siding with those I mentioned.

True. I’m just surprised ACB was the deciding vote in the ghost guns freeze, she’s arguably the most partisan judge after Alito and Thomas :rip:

Good this is such an abuse of the bankruptcy system.  The Sackler family is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and while no amount of money can compensate for that, they should be forced to pay for ongoing health treatment, public services, childcare and education costs of now orphaned children, and prevention strategies. 

Edited by byzantium

Omg now way! I was feeling so hopeless on this case, especially after reading Empire of Pain. I thought there was absolutely no justice for this stuff, but this is giving some kind of hope! 

Except now the plaintiffs aren't getting that $6B that was coming their way...

19 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

Except now the plaintiffs aren't getting that $6B that was coming their way...

Hopefully they can get much more from the Sacklers in the future. The family pulled $10 billion out of the company just since 2008 until it declared bankruptcy.

1 hour ago, VOSS said:

Hopefully they can get much more from the Sacklers in the future. The family pulled $10 billion out of the company just since 2008 until it declared bankruptcy.

That will almost certainly not happen, and if so it could take decades. Now the victims who could've used that money may die empty handed. A perfect example of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

On 8/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Bears01 said:

True. I’m just surprised ACB was the deciding vote in the ghost guns freeze, she’s arguably the most partisan judge after Alito and Thomas :rip:

She seems to be all about process. If something looks to questionable as far as process goes, she doesn't go for it. To be sure, once the question of the ghost guns comes to the full court, she'll likely fall back in with the conservative justices.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, Bears01 said:

The last time this happened, they hit us with the "gays can be discriminated against" ruling. :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.