Chappell Roan - 'The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess'

Future Lover

5 hours ago, El Nino said:

How come every time a female popstar rises to the top she's white and how come her music is always ass? Am I supposed to buy that this generic pop music is good? Or pretend that is it because it's doing well? 

I get the frustration of the lack of diversity of Pop Girls as a WOC myself; calling Chappell's music basic is crazy, her album is very fresh :rip:

• Like 10

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KatyPrismSpirit

• CottageHore

• motomami

• ahauntingnearu

Oh wow, both Naked in Manhattan and After Midnight debut on US Spotify 200 at #197 and #199. 

That brings her to 10 songs charting now. 

Edited by Johnnyboi
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, El Nino said:

How come every time a female popstar rises to the top she's white and how come her music is always ass? Am I supposed to buy that this generic pop music is good? Or pretend that is it because it's doing well? 

Just say you don't know how to have fun and move on! :khalyan2:

7 hours ago, El Nino said:

Just say you don't know how to have fun and move on! :khalyan2:

15 minutes ago, Johnnyboi said:

Oh wow, both Naked in Manhattan and After Midnight debut on US Spotify 200 at #197 and #199. 

2 of her best :clap3:

27 minutes ago, Johnnyboi said:

omg two of her best :jonny6:

28 minutes ago, Johnnyboi said:

Girl what

Well hello, lets celebrate the hit of the masterpiece Naked In Manhattan!!!! I've been streaming that for ages and that's how I met her!

After Midnight finally debuting, I prayed for times like this

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Club classic said:

Rough trade are calling it an extended edition and have a Side D as TBC do we think a deluxe is coming with Good luck babe, subway and maybe one other? 

Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess - (CD, Vinyl LP) | Rough Trade

10 songs charting off one album and a debut album nonetheless and a debut album released almost a year ago nonetheless :clap3:

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, atrlxcx said:

Rough trade are calling it an extended edition and have a Side D as TBC do we think a deluxe is coming with Good luck babe, subway and maybe one other? 

Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess - (CD, Vinyl LP) | Rough Trade

Side D has never had anything pressed on it-- perplexing why they would say 'extended edition', though. I imagine they would want to highlight if those songs were on it, especially considering the GLB/Read & Makeout 7"'s starting shipping today

8 hours ago, El Nino said:

Agreed. I have a feeling her second will be better with more access to writers and producers (as long as it's not those producers), and Good Luck Babe was already a major step up in quality. I can't get in to this corny debut though. People are setting her up too much.

• Thumbs Down 2

8 hours ago, El Nino said:

Cause White Americans are the largest demographic group in the USA.  71% Of the population :giraffe:
This is probably the reason there's many white rising stars

Edited by AvadaKedavra

27 minutes ago, JanEgo said:

Agreed. I have a feeling her second will be better with more access to writers and producers (as long as it's not those producers), and Good Luck Babe was already a major step up in quality. I can't get in to this corny debut though. People are setting her up too much.

Personally I don't want her to stray too far from Dan. His production is fresh and unique and they seem to mesh together really well.

I don't think Good Luck Babe is a major step in quality because I do prefer some tracks on the album, but it is clear her and Dan are in a really good groove 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, JanEgo said:

Like every debut, it has its highs and lows. Whats clear tho: Chappel has a clear identity and immediately finds space and thus legitimacy in this very crowded music world with her Bush-esque approach. Shes very theatrical and playful in her vocal delivery, something we've last seen to this extent in Gaga. Shes unique.

While I agree that some songs are corny, others are certainly absolutely stellar - After Midnight is a great Pop song, Kaleidoscope a wonderful ballad, Pink Pony Club another fantastic song. 

I think she's going to further find her voice and Sound in her second LP, which will likely see her soar to new heights (as can be seen with GLB)

Edited by Kristie Kuwa
  • Like 5

I really wanted to like this and everything sounded promising (cover, song titles, ...), but it hasn't clicked with me. 

Good Luck, Babe! is a decade highlight though. Hopefully the new album explores and develops this sound further.

5 minutes ago, Arrows said:

Good Luck, Babe! is her best song so far, her sophomore is really promising

I have a feeling GLB! and Subway will be a part of a Deluxe and not a second album. This first one is just gaining steam and it'd be way smarter to release a Deluxe with her hit. Milk this fantastic debut era :clap3:

She should definitely milk this album for all it's got. This could be The Fame/BTD of the 2020s tbh :clap3:

Good Luck Babe! and Subway have a slightly more sophisticated and vibey sound to them than the other songs on the album so it'd be cool if they were for a new album but they won't be.

She should pull a full Lana and give us her The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess: Subway Edition (and do a partnership with Subway just to be camp) :ryan3:

I listened to this a couple of days ago and it was really cute! There's a few tracks that sounded a bit like Taylor Swift in her last album and those weren't for me. But there's a lot of great ones. When it's good, it's GOOD good. Expecting great things from her. I'm obsessed with Hot to Go!

I can't get over how the album is literal crack. :rip:  it's the only album I want to play when I open Spotify :rip:  Like every other day I have a new favorite. Yesterday I had Casual in my head all day long and today Pink Pony Club has me in a chokehold even though i've already listened to it over 100 times :deadbanana2:

they need to send HOT TO GO! to radio and start pushing that a little more. it has so much potential. really hope she saves Subway and drops her sophomore album at the top of next year (just in time for Grammys exposure hehe)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.