Tweet questioning why Katy disappeared from music industry goes viral

naval23

7th season in American Idol? :rip: Katy sis.. :dies: 

Since we're in a country music resurgence and the audience of AI are mostly country folks, she should come back with a country sound. It might work for her. 

• Like 2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• supaspaz

• naval23

• halcyonday

People saying she didn’t vanish are disingenuous. 

She’s released 5 albums in a 15 year career. That’s an average of 1 album every 3 years which is terrible. 

Her issue was always going to be a lack of material. It worked at first because she had so many hits off albums. But when the hits dried up and she couldn’t use the same album to release 3-5 singles then it became apparent how little music she released and it the public just views her as someone who disappeared. 

She only utilizes her Instagram for American idol and her ugly shoes, she doesn’t utilize tiktok, she doesn’t release music consistently (latest release was featuring on a country single in 2022, and before that just one single in 2021 with Alesso and a Pokémon OST :dies:)

Shes not even trying to have a music career at this point. I wonder if Witness really did just kill her drive in music

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are we all gonna pretend it wasn't the Taylor feud that ended Katy? The GP sided with Taylor and that was that. 

• Thumbs Down 8

Just now, crazyncool said:

Are we all gonna pretend it wasn't the Taylor feud that ended Katy? The GP sided with Taylor and that was that. 

Imagine thinking the GP care about stan **** like that :deadbanana4: 

Because she ****-talked Britney shaving her head and then had a meltdown right after. But she’s fabulous for a throwback! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

All the viral tweets and then no one buys/streams the music.

Twitter is such a echo chamber, I wonder how anything from it taken seriously.

• Like 2

This op-ed covers just about everything that contributed and I agree on all of it:

https://fordhamobserver.com/52765/opinions/what-happened-to-katy-perry/

- Unlike Taylor, more of a fair-weather fanbase with less loyalty - more reliant on the songs than the artist herself

- Massive (for pop) break between Prism and Witness just as streaming and hip-hop started to explode

- Endorsement and rally participation with Hillary Clinton while Taylor held off long enough for heat to die down

- Inauthentic virtue signaling after Chained to the Rhythm away from her promised "purposeful pop"

- The haircut

- The Britney Spears comments

- The Migos feature

- The Taylor Swift feud

- Whiplash aesthetics of Bon Appetit and Swish Swish

- Remaining neutral during the Kesha v. Dr. Luke legal fight

- Losing Dr. Luke as a producer for a follow-up given that legal fight

- Widely mocked 2017 SNL performance

- 2017 SNL Migos + drag queen controversy

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

She's one of the few artists who can ghost her fanbase and it won't matter. She needs to be studied.

1 hour ago, Bimbo said:

You know it’s bad when the GP has zero recollection of your latest releases with multiple performances :deadbanana4:

It'd be worse if they had recollection of how hard she flopped. At least the GP feels like she disappeared not that she tried and failed.

• Like 1

IDK why the twitter user doesn't understand it... She basically became very cringe during the Witness era and her music and videos since that Migos song became very bad. The hair change, the stupid fight with Taylor Swift who basically owns the music industry, the live stream which made her look like a moron and dumbass, the pretentious "woke" thing, the fact she dropped the only producer who got it right with her /Luke/...all contributed.

And the Smile era was even worse, the music sucked way too hard. And yes, even NRO is a trash. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Her latest songs didn't hook me like the previous one something is missing it felt like they were just..there. Witness era was really bad for her imagine too.

27 minutes ago, Vilko said:

IDK why the twitter user doesn't understand it... She basically became very cringe during the Witness era and her music and videos since that Migos song became very bad. The hair change, the stupid fight with Taylor Swift who basically owns the music industry, the live stream which made her look like a moron and dumbass, the pretentious "woke" thing, the fact she dropped the only producer who got it right with her /Luke/...all contributed.

And the Smile era was even worse, the music sucked way too hard. And yes, even NRO is a trash. 

You're tasteless if you hate NRO :giraffe:

• Like 3

Was listening to half of her broken heart discography when I was in shambles. Never really over, teenage dream, the one that got away. 

On streaming she's still racking millions of streams and her albums didn't flop that hard. Her Vegas show also did really good

Omg this threas is ruthless to Katy...

3 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

In the eye of the GP, they just think "oh where has she been all these years, I remember her Firework song". Most dont know she flopped hard.

I agree, and I think she can use that to her advantage!

• ATRL Moderator

This storyline that Witness flopped because Katy cut her hair is so funny. Very Keri Russell and Felicity season two.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

This storyline that Witness flopped because Katy cut her hair is so funny. Very Keri Russell and Felicity season two.

It's not just an ATRL storyline, just to be clear. The press took it and ran with it.

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Espresso said:

It's not just an ATRL storyline, just to be clear. The press took it and ran with it.

Maybe you didn’t understand my Felicity reference.

OMG, I have so many thoughts about this as I find her career quite fascinating.

IMO, what hurt her was the fact that she never occupied a unique niche like her peers. 

Nicki had the rap niche.

Gaga had the weird/LGBTQ niche.

Taylor had the country niche.

Rihanna had the cool girl niche.

These girls occupied a niche no one else was able to occupy, and even to this day people struggle to fill them in the way these girls did.

But Katy had the pretty, bubblegum pop niche, which is a niche that history has shown is quite fickle and any girl in it is always replaced whenever someone younger, cuter, and more popular comes along. Cyndi Lauper, Paula Abdul, Xtina, Katy, Ariana have all occupied this niche at one point, and the niche is technically currently held by Ariana for the time being. 

She and her team were so preoccupied with getting hits that they failed to focus on solidifying a foundation that could support her as she aged out of popularity like all popstars eventually do. Once she was no longer the queen of her bubblegum pop niche, she needed something to fall back on, like a solidified fanbase, but since she was unable to curate that near the beginning of her career, there was no one there to catch her when she fell.

What is hurting Katy more than anything right now is the ambivalence the public has for her. It is one thing to be adored or hated by the public since the public is still talking about you in those instances, but for the public to be ambivalent means people just do not care, and that is death for a popstar and is incredibly difficult to crawl back from. Gaga was in a similar position post ARTPOP and it took her multiple years and a hell of a lot of trying to get back to where she is today. I think for Katy it is too late. Had she tried something similar to Gaga post Witness, maybe she would be good right now, but at this point there is nothing she can do. She should just focus on making herself happy and creating whatever it is she wants to create. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why would anyone care?

She added NOTHING to music. Her songs were NEVER that good.

Let. It. Go.

Edited by SuperCiC1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

maybe she likes her marriage and her children and making $25M on Idol and having the biggest Pop album of all time collecting royalities? :coffee:  When she does make music, it's still better music than all your favs anyways.  365, NRO, Harleys in Hawaii, Cry About it Later, Teary Eyes, When I'm Gone, ALL better than whatever your fav is putting out. lbr

I am curious to why she's doing another season of Idol when I thought that Alanis/Demi were replacing them?  Was that just rumor or for the following year or what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

26 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Maybe you didn’t understand my Felicity reference.

Oh I understood it. Some here hadn't in the past and present.

39 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

that is the truth though. 

katy has always been campy and awkward but with the hair and makeup, she made it digestible.  Her beauty sold her and her hair contributed to that beauty. When she cut her hair she looked like a random soccer mom. Most pop stars, especially 5+ years ago, were not only required to be talented, but stereotypically beautiful. 

I don’t know how anyone can argue that her dying her hair blonde and then chopping it off wasn’t the major reason she flopped. 

the insensitive comments, less commercial music may have slightly contributed but I 100% feel she would have experienced much more success if she had simply looked like Katy Perry the entire era.

Edited by Nachocheesechalup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baby Judas said:

7th season in American Idol? :rip: Katy sis.. :dies: 

Since we're in a country music resurgence and the audience of AI are mostly country folks, she should come back with a country sound. It might work for her. 

She did that already. She even performed the song on the American Idol FINALE and the CMAs. Don't fall for "if only Katy released or cared," she stays releasing, performing and promoting more than anyone and her playlisting is massive too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.