Most successful 8th album: Anti x folklore x Music?

sasashite

Which is bigger?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Rihanna - Anti
    • Taylor Swift - folklore
    • Madonna - Music

1 minute ago, lonnie said:

Albums still cost an average of $10 and over physical here. The only difference I'll agree with is Spotify and Netflix since those are streaming and no one owns the content streamed there. But I don't know why we're going on and on about the China units when that's allegedly already changed and are now sold for a lot more?

Album cost is $10 is huge ngl

PPP wise doesn't make sense. I guess your government might not be regulating sales as per PPP cause if they do this in India , UMG will be jailed

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airplane

• Raspberries

• Axelios

• FolkLover1989

17 minutes ago, lonnie said:

Now I know for damn sure y'all are lying :deadbanana4:

Because there' no way that's the standard price for an album anywhere.

From what I gather vinyls aren't mass produced the way other physical albums and digital albums are which would explain the ridiculous prices. But even then, the China units were always in doubt because 1) Their prices were lower than the usual album (I gather that's why its full price now, China's economy was stronger in 2021 than it is in 2023 mind you) 2.) There was no tracking entity. 

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech-news/apple-itunes-store-debuts-in-india-songs-selling-at-rs-7/articleshow/17474457.cms

Yes albums are cheaper in India. 

• Like 1

idk one good household that does not have a Music cd laying around so yk :clap3:

1 minute ago, lonnie said:

Please continue telling my African born and African living ass how American centric it is :deadbanana2:

I'm aware that you live in Africa, I'm pointing the fact that you use the USA as standard for everything :-*

Just now, FolkLover1989 said:

Album cost is $10 is huge ngl

PPP wise doesn't make sense. I guess your government might not be regulating sales as per PPP cause if they do this in India , UMG will be jailed

It is. People rarely buy albums here lol. Streaming wise it makes sense and it's just over $2 on Spotify. Does this extend to physical albums too or just digital albums?

2 minutes ago, ugo said:

Incredible 

• Like 1

Just now, lonnie said:

It is. People rarely buy albums here lol. Streaming wise it makes sense and it's just over $2 on Spotify. Does this extend to physical albums too or just digital albums?

Incredible 

See now think for yourself. In our countries streaming is cheaper than USA so the units don't actually translate exactly but for chart purpose they are counted uniformly cause that's how PPP works

As for physicals, physicals are not made in India for Western Music so we have to get it from outside India and it's very expensive 

I own every Taylor physical from Folklore onwards and it costed me more than what an American pay:chick3:

Just now, FolkLover1989 said:

See now think for yourself. In our countries streaming is cheaper than USA so the units don't actually translate exactly but for chart purpose they are counted uniformly cause that's how PPP works

As for physicals, physicals are not made in India for Western Music so we have to get it from outside India and it's very expensive 

I own every Taylor physical from Folklore onwards and it costed me more than what an American pay:chick3:

Yeah this makes lots of sense. Physical albums here (just like books) are more expensive than they are in the West because of shipping, excise duties, taxes, etc. too. 

Anyway we've meandered too much and the China album units don't make up for the deficit. And if Chartmasters is using points outside the industry standards as another swiftie pointed out then none of this matters anyway lol

in 2000 everyone new Music (single)

in 2016 everyone new Work

outside swifties no one knows Cardigan :toofunny3:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

comparison to music a 20 year old album vs folklore like how people do it? how can you compare streams then music sold more than 10M meanwhile folklore didn't even push 4M when you say nobody buys album anymore it's okay but comparing streams for a 20 year album with a new album is also ok? :gaycat:

The level of delusion.

I think you just had to be there to know.

Music is the answer.

• Like 3

Folklore by FAR and it’s not even close. The gap will WIDEN more and more with every passing year :ahh:

2 hours ago, lonnie said:

Okay, thank you because this explains the numbers on a level. How does the methodology work? Does he include streams from unsubscribed users as well? Or does he just gather all streams unfiltered from all venues and compile it into units sold? I think that could be cause for the disparity between his units reported vs the few certifications Folklore has worldwide

Okay, but do you honestly think Rihanna not outstreaming Taylor daily has nothing to do with the fact that Taylor has had far more output than Rih and been more musically active? :deadbanana4:

I've mentioned time and again that Taylor is a huge seller, but trying to drag Rih using daily streams like Rih hasn't been mostly inactive is dumb

I think you misunderstood my point. Releasing yearly doesn't guarantee you that your recurrent streams will increase. Only god knows IF Rihanna releases and how will her recurrent streams act after a new release. It's for sure that her recurrent streams will INCREASE the day / week she releases but there's no guarantee that her daily streams will stay that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airplane said:

Maybe because Ed and Drake don’t have a devoted fanbase and mostly have casual listeners who don’t gaslight themselves into liking everything they put out?

It's obvious that Taylor has a more devoted fanbase than both of them but BTS also has a devoted base and they have spammed these years too but they still don't have Taylor's daily streams numbers. As a matter of fact their daily streams literally decrease the moment they release a new song because they switch their bots to the new song.:matty:

The way people are downplaying Music's success by saying it wasn't selling as the top ten albums in 2000 or saying it sold 10+ million in 23 years.

:redface:

• Like 2

The Navy still saying ANTI despite it having a 4.5 year head start and still moving less units than folklore :toofunny3:

folklore is bigger than ANTI. Midnights is bigger than any Rihanna album sans GGGB and Loud (it will pass Loud). Give it a rest 

Edited by Raspberries
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This reminds me of the 1989 vs GGGB threads where the Navy swore up and down GGGB was bigger because 1989 was like 1-2M units behind despite coming out 7 years later :bibliahh:

and now:

1989 (2014) - 26.9M

GGGB (2007) - 23.3M 

1 hour ago, idkwiam said:

I think you misunderstood my point. Releasing yearly doesn't guarantee you that your recurrent streams will increase. Only god knows IF Rihanna releases and how will her recurrent streams act after a new release. It's for sure that her recurrent streams will INCREASE the day / week she releases but there's no guarantee that her daily streams will stay that way.

July 23, 2021 - 9.3m

July 22, 2022 - 10.9m (+17%)

July 21, 2023 - 16.7m (+53%)

(all are Fridays)

her daily streams have already significantly increased this year compared to last year after releasing... 1 soundtrack single, 9 months ago.

12 pages of fights between Navy and Swifities when the obvious answer is MUSIC :toofunny3:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, istan4badgalriri said:

July 23, 2021 - 9.3m

July 22, 2022 - 10.9m (+17%)

July 21, 2023 - 16.7m (+53%)

(all are Fridays)

her daily streams have already significantly increased this year compared to last year after releasing... 1 soundtrack single, 9 months ago.

Thanks to the Superbowl...

2 hours ago, Raspberries said:

This reminds me of the 1989 vs GGGB threads where the Navy swore up and down GGGB was bigger because 1989 was like 1-2M units behind despite coming out 7 years later :bibliahh:

and now:

1989 (2014) - 26.9M

GGGB (2007) - 23.3M 

And we all remember when ANTI was stomping on reputation and Lover and swifties used the excuse that Rihanna has 8 albums so it’s not a fair comparison. Taylor released 7-8 albums since 2016 but somehow these comparisons make sense to yall now 😂

2 minutes ago, Axelios said:

Thanks to the Superbowl...

But i was told Rihanna’s superbowl boost was just like everyone else’s and would fade away in an instant. How is still “thanks to the superbowl”? 😂

Edited by airplane

2 minutes ago, airplane said:

And we all remember when ANTI was stomping on reputation and Lover and swifties used the excuse that Rihanna has 8 albums so it’s not a fair comparison. Taylor released 7-8 albums since 2016 but somehow these comparisons make sense to yall now 😂

I don't know what you're talking about. Lover was always bigger than Anti overall (biggest album of 2019 IFPI).

When Rihanna used to spam albums, her albums never got any boost and used to disappear from the charts quite fast while Taylor always got boosts even before the streaming era.

It's just that Rihanna never had the same star power and discography longevity as Taylor and that would likely not have changed even if she kept releasing yearly.

1 minute ago, Axelios said:

I don't know what you're talking about. Lover was always bigger than Anti overall (biggest album of 2019 IFPI).

ANTI had more hits, strihms (Taylor kept getting blocked by Lil Nas) and was overall way bigger commercially than reputation and lover for a very long time as well, in the US and outside of it.

Congratulations to Taylor for smashing on the Billboard 200 but 65% of Rihanna’s album sales we’re literally originating from outside the US. I’m aware of her performance on BB 200. 

7 minutes ago, Axelios said:

It's just that Rihanna never had the same star power and discography longevity as Taylor and that would likely not have changed even if she kept releasing yearly.

This reeks of delusion when Rihanna just scored the most viewed halftime show in History with 7 years of musical inactivity. That’s literally a testament to her star power and longevity. Let me not talk about how the streams of her albums have quadrupled in recent years. She would be neck to neck with Taylor, if anything.