Guardian: Emily Blunt is the biggest British female star of her generation

nostalgia

Blunt is now 40 and the biggest British female movie star of her generation: currently pipping Knightley and Mulligan; a natural successor to Weisz and Winslet. You can trace the lineage back further – some Dench deprecation, a little Mirren wither. A very shredded Maggie Smith.

When he was writing the film, says Nolan, “I thought about running away from Kitty. She is a frightening character.” He recruited Blunt to “humanise” her, then was surprised how keenly she embraced Kitty’s worst angles: “No vanity, no fear of humiliation, no wanting to control the way she would appear.”

She is pro-strike: “I am a big believer in unions getting exactly what they want.” She is also pro-resolution: “I’m a huge believer in getting our crews back to work – the people who will suffer most.” For Blunt, the industrial action is also quite well timed. A few weeks ago, she mentioned in a podcast that she was taking a year off to spend with her daughters, Hazel, nine, and Violet, six, and her husband, the actor and film‑maker John Krasinski. Actually, she says, that has been overplayed: “I’m not quitting Hollywood. It’s OK, guys. Just taking a little bit of downtime.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2023/jul/21/emily-blunt-women-pressured-oppenheimer

GettyImages-1206126989.jpg

try something like... 78th biggest instead

CatherineShoard.jpg?width=140&height=140

Kate Winslet is the biggest British movie star of all time though. Nobody takes that crown kthxbai

• Like 5

Not when Adele’s Live at the Royal Albert Hall exists. :heart:

I think Carey Mulligan is the stronger actress between the two but I do love Miss Blunt. She does give off Kate Winslet vibes 

• Like 1

“A very shredded Maggie Smith” is a ludicrous turn of phrase. What is that even meant to mean? :deadbanana2:

Jesy Nelson sweaty....

some members here can’t acknowledge talent :clap3::clap3: the acclaimed scene stealer of Devil Wears Prada / Edge of Tomorrow :clap3::clap3:

Queen of talent

2 hours ago, Miichael said:

It’s true tbh, her first Oscar nom is definitely coming in the next few years

weirdly has more individual sag noms than either actress mentioned in the article, mulligan and knightley, so the acting guild loves her even if ampas has not shown any love

2 hours ago, Miichael said:

It’s true tbh, her first Oscar nom is definitely coming in the next few years

She was nominated for Devil Wears Prada in 2007. :rip:

What? :lmao:

4 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

No she wasn’t :rip: 

4 hours ago, Tusk said:

Mediocre wins again 

16 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

She was NOT. She should’ve been tho. 

31 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

no, previous winner and clearly lead actress cate blanchett blocked her

1 hour ago, kexin said:

some members here can’t acknowledge talent :clap3::clap3: the acclaimed scene stealer of Devil Wears Prada / Edge of Tomorrow :clap3::clap3:

Pretty sure we all like her, the comparisons are just wild. :redface:

Sis is more like a British Julia or Sandra. Not a bad thing at all. 

the fact that she came so close to an oscar nomination like 4 times and missed every single time :fish2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.