Olivia reveals that The White Stripes/Jack White inspired her to use purple twice

georgechxng

Now that she explained how The White Stripes and Jack White projects (The White Stripes used red and Jack White used blue throughout his projects) inspired her to keep the same color palette for the albums, I can see the vision and appreciate it better. Thoughts?

78db8bbdee8ea6ac67705374144ba9f5.jpg

I'm the only one who clocked this on the album art reveal thread 

• Like 1

My mind didn’t immediately think of TWS when I saw the similarities but I feel like my brain was primed for it. The negative reactions were just weird.

They did it way better and in a much more striking manner though. The idea is okay but she should’ve gotten a much better visual designer for it. I like Olivia but she literally just posed in front of a purple background twice, how can anyone say with a straight face that the execution was even close to the White Stripes album covers?

Edited by Dephira

The White Stripes album covers are distinct enough that you can tell that they are from different eras. The GUTS album cover just looks like a SOUR outtake. She could have done more with the purple theme. 

the taste

i would love to hear her iPod nano back in the day :jonny:

• Like 1

White Stripes sweetie... I'm so sorry

Spoiler

U.S. star Olivia Rodrigo joins 2021 lineup!

olivia-rodrigo-photo-shoot-for-her-sophomore-album-guts-2023-3.jpg

Mind you, these two photos are from two different album photoshoots.

• Haha 1

Like I said, the problem isn't the purple but the way the purple theme is executed. You could show the photoshoots from SOUR & GUTS era to someone who didn't really follow her and they'd likely not be able to tell they're from two different eras. I feel like that's not really the case with TWS....their covers manage to have a consistent theme (red, in this case) while making them distinct enough that you could tell that they're from pretty different projects. 

Edited by Billionaire

42 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

The White Stripes album covers are distinct enough that you can tell that they are from different eras. The GUTS album cover just looks like a SOUR outtake. She could have done more with the purple theme. 

You can't be serious with this comment when everything is more or less the same on each cover. 

• Thumbs Down 1

At least their image seemed to mature with every subsequent album - I can't say the same right now about Olivia. GUTS looks like a reissue of SOUR. 

Good PR for her team to whip this up for her to use to deflect the negative comments regarding her album cover.

Can they inspire her to release good music now?

Edited by lillavend3r
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

You can't be serious with this comment when everything is more or less the same on each cover. 

spacer.png

Debut album

spacer.png

Second album

spacer.png

Third album. 

Olivia just used a slightly darker shade of purple for her second album. :gaycat7:

i don't blame her, if i was a singer i'd probably use mainly the same black/dark blue theme for all of my albums too 

some of you are pushing 40 having meltdowns over an album cover... grow up

• Thanks 1

Purple is officially her color now, the female Prince. :clap3:

color aside, can she take better photoshoots? :biblio:

ohhh that makes sense then, her whole disco will probably stay purple then

She could’ve been more creative with it if that was her inspiration. SOUR’s artwork is cute, GUT’s one is just boring with the same purple background variation 

1 hour ago, Luckitty said:

some of you are pushing 40 having meltdowns over an album cover... grow up

I don’t think anyone is having a meltdown lol we’re here to discuss music culture and this is a pretty understandable discussion. you’re just being dense. 

I don't understand why people care too much about album covers. To me it's the music that only matters. 

Edited by Jude
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, popularmoonlight said:

I don’t think anyone is having a meltdown lol we’re here to discuss music culture and this is a pretty understandable discussion. you’re just being dense. 

people complaining about an album cover for weeks (for a pop girl they don't even stan) because of a COLOR, you're right it might not be a meltdown but it's probably some type of mental illness

like i don't understand why so many people are genuinely upset over an ALBUM COVER, i've seen people on tiktok and twitter already shitting on the album based solely on the cover before listening to any song :rip: people nowadays care more about the aesthetics and the visuals than the music itself 

14 minutes ago, Jude said:

I don't understand why people care too much about album covers. To me it's the music that only matters. 

same, so many of my favorite albums have ugly covers but i never cared because literally who cares :redface: while some grown adults write essays complaining about a color used in an album cover or the artist's pose in the picture like.. this feels like one of those things that only first world people care about because they don't have anything to complain about in real life

• Like 1

First Le Tigre now this, she’s really coming hard for that indie cred this era huh

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.