Why did Fearless (TV) do under 300k?

Mattyboy

I looked it up again and was shocked to see the album opened up with less than 300k. She has bigger hits like Love Story and You Belong With Me..

Maybe it’s because it was the first re-recoding and wasn’t promoted as much?

Even tho it smashed back in a day its one of her least important albums now

• Like 2

Fesrless is not a special album for a lot of her fan base. 

1. As others have said, Fearless is a bit lacklustre. 
2. RED TV was treated as more of a real era, with the success of ATW. The triumphant success of RTV hyped up the re-recordings. 
3. Taylor has somehow gotten even bigger in the last couple years. 

Her hype/power increased after Red TV and All To Well 20 minutes version

Just compare the opening week of Folklore with Midnights.

Unlike 'RED (TV)' and 'Speak Now (TV)', the vinyl of 'Fearless (TV)' weren't available on its first week. They were shipped a few months later, together with the signed CDs. She sold 146k vinyl and signed CDs that week, and if those had been available from the start, its first week sales would've exceeded 430k.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

I don't know if this is right, but vinyls weren't available in the first week. Can anyone confirm this?

2 minutes ago, Green said:

But Folk is alternate-pop-folk and Midnights is back to pop. 

Vinyls were not available first week. Similar case to Evermore.

That's easy. Fearless is bottom tier in Taylor's discography and RedTV increased her power. If FearlessTV was released now, it would probably do twice as much. 

1 minute ago, Bonicap said:

Vinyls were not available first week. Similar case to Evermore.

But isn’t that when purchases were still counted during first week, if not shipped?

4 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

But isn’t that when purchases were still counted during first week, if not shipped?

Nope. The rule was changed to stop counting those a week or two after folklore was released.

The vinyls were not available for the first week and she made the release of that re-recording less of an “event”.  I think it was only after fearless still was quite successful that she realized she could make a bigger deal out of each release. 

I get the impression that Fearless TV was almost "testing the waters" to see how much noise the reissues could actually make. When they realised they could (for want of a better word with less negative connotations) milk them like an actual new era and people would still support them as such, they put more effort into their promotion and release strategy, such as with the short film for All Too Well, instant vinyl availability, more high profile collaborators, and pushing vault tracks as singles. As a result, from the get-go Red TV felt like much more of an event than Fearless TV.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

No, that changed in July 2020. With both Evermore and Fearless TV she jumped to #1 again when the vinyls were shipped.

Today is not a good day for posting this because nigh Love Story TV and YBWM TV are charting in global Spotify 

• Like 1

I started liking Taylor's albums since Speak Now. I knew some of her singles from Fearless and Self-titled but didn't care much about those albums. I think so many of her fans have the same feeling as mine.

I think the lack of physicals upon release hurt it too, but yeah she’s just gotten astronomically huge since Red TV.

1 hour ago, Green said:

Not really Folklore was decent.

I think they didn't invest as much in fearless because ether didn't know how re recordings would perform. It also has no videos or promo and it had pre album singles (which decreased the hype a bit). 

Edited by ugo

38 minutes ago, ugo said:

Not really Folklore was decent.

1.6 million is a lot larger than 850,000.

They hype and excitement around her definitely grew in no small part due to the goodwill from folklore.  

There wasn’t quite the hype about her rereleases back in 2020-2021 as there is now. ATW 10 min version felt like it literally doubled/tripled the GP’s interest in her TVs.

Also as others have said logistically the release was kind of botched regarding vinyls and physicals.

It served as a battering ram and laid the foundation for what was going to come next. People weren't used to this new concept of re-release before it.

Edited by Filpo

Simply not vinyls on first week. They Will be half of speak now numbers.

Also the vault tracks were a non event. Red and speak now got videos.

Also if i'm not wrong She released love story and also 2 vault songs before the album release, so streaming numbers for the First week were weakest. 

Especially love story with the album would have probably made big numbers. 

Edited by vale9001

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.