Is it time to admit that Doja Cat is no longer a main pop girl?

Alex

Is Doja Cat still a main pop girl?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes, Planet Her laid the foundation
    • No, she's an alt rapper now

Doja Cat Came to the 2023 Met Gala Dressed As, Well, a Literal Cat — See  Photos | Allure

With "Attention" ushering in a return to earlier works with the more bedroom-esque vibe of the track and Doja clearly over pandering to the mainstream for her music, is it time to admit Doja is no longer an MPG? I smell a shift to alternative rapper instead of pop singer, which is perhaps what she feels more comfortable with. What are your thoughts? Do you think Doja will return to pop music or stay in this rap-orientated lane?

:celestial5:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HEAVYONIT

• Alex

• KatyPrismSpirit

• professor2000

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of one song? That’s not even that alternative? Damn you’re taking it flopping hard I see 

• Haha 1

If shes SMART shes scrapping this entire era and starts over again. Release all the planet her scraps and do your little dark aesthetic with the wig on ma'am.

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

I think she's definitely prioritising her artistry this era over quick pop hits (like Say So & KMM) with a lot of songwriters and less artist input, and that whilst it won't bring in the same numbers as a 'big' sounding song, will be acclaimed and loved by fans and critics. Some current pop music, though well written and enjoyable can have a tendency to feel void of personality because of this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

God, you guys are SO annoying. She released ONE BUZZ SINGLE that didn't smash and you're already making threads like this. You need to find more interesting and productive things to do with your free time. 

• Like 8

Just now, Navyofbadgals said:

Because of one song? That’s not even that alternative? Damn you’re taking it flopping hard I see 

There's been an entire image and marketing switch ever since this era started, with the new album being "anti-pop" and more or less rap focused rather than pop. Of course there's no doubting Doja could return to it next era but she seems adamant on distancing herself from the pop girl persona. What are your thoughts or contributions to the topic, if you have any instead of being a troll of course. 

cause of one song? yall are really something else.

this discussion needs to happen at least 2 weeks after the album drops

• Like 6

Just now, Black Jesus said:

God, you guys are SO annoying. She released ONE BUZZ SINGLE that didn't smash and you're already making threads like this. You need to find more interesting and productive things to do with your free time. 

Honey what "buzz single" has radio, playlisting on TTH and a whole high budget music video... stop living in denial. The lead tanked

1 minute ago, dangerousalex said:

There's been an entire image and marketing switch ever since this era started, with the new album being "anti-pop" and more or less rap focused rather than pop. Of course there's no doubting Doja could return to it next era but she seems adamant on distancing herself from the pop girl persona. What are your thoughts or contributions to the topic, if you have any instead of being a troll of course. 

I didn’t troll anywhere in the post, but I know it might be hard for you to hear opinions that differ from your own

1 minute ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Honey what "buzz single" has radio, playlisting on TTH and a whole high budget music video... stop living in denial. The lead tanked

It's not her lead single and she even said it herself...and if you call that music video "high budget" :rip:

At least wait until the album is out. :rip: 

• Like 1

Harajuku Barbie
1 minute ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I agree. Her label went hard for this single but it didn’t stick to the GP. She still has time to

release a pop dark record because I’m not really sure if she’s meant to rap:gaycat7:

• Thumbs Down 1

Well not everyone can actually contribute to a conversation meaningfully I see. 

4 minutes ago, smartalek22 said:

I think she's definitely prioritising her artistry this era over quick pop hits (like Say So & KMM) with a lot of songwriters and less artist input, and that whilst it won't bring in the same numbers as a 'big' sounding song, will be acclaimed and loved by fans and critics. Some current pop music, though well written and enjoyable can have a tendency to feel void of personality because of this.

Yeah I think pulling a sonic 180 like this after her most successful era is definitely risky but it will probably pay off in the end because it seems like the music she wants to be making and Attention has been her most acclaimed song in years so it seems to be working out for her regardless of its commercial performance :michael:

• Like 1

You can be a respected rapper and still be an MPG. Example: the 2010 Nicki

Doja is trying too hard to gain respect in hip hop community in which she always failed to achieve because her attempts do not feel genuine

Just now, Black Jesus said:

It's not her lead single and she even said it herself...and if you call that music video "high budget" :rip:

She said it's not the lead-single after the fact it flopped :rip: please... 

And yes that video definitely had a high budget. It's so apparent. 

Very delusional to think one song can change her career trajectory :redface:

• Like 2

Harajuku Barbie
1 minute ago, Black Jesus said:

If I’m being correct, she labelled it as promo single after she saw the consumer’s reaction… 

She never was a main pop girl imo, she always was and is still a main rap girl. She's part of the Nicki/Cardi/Megan conversation, not the Ari/Dua/Olivia one. Yes, she has made pop songs, but being a pop singer isn't her primary focus.

I'm saying all of this as a fan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dangerousalex said:

She said this teasing the era but then when she saw attention performance she said there will still be some catchy pop hooks on the album 

I just think that there's a reason she's so silent rn they're probably back to re planning the era and re purposing 

6 minutes ago, Black Jesus said:

ok but the point i was trying to make was not about calling doja a flop but instead her transition of going from pop to alternative, and thus abandoning the "Main Pop Girl" image and sound she built up with the last 2 albums. This isn't a drag thread (i'm a stan) but more of a clickbaity thread title to get the conversation going :laugh: 

• Haha 1

The dramatics :rip: Isn't it just a "buzz" single anyway? Let's wait for the album + tour before making such statements

8 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

I didn’t troll anywhere in the post, but I know it might be hard for you to hear opinions that differ from your own

Any post that doesn't follow the lines of "buzz single" "experimental" "one for the fans" is a troll post let's be real!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

We love a non-main pop girl that can sell out an arena tour before her album even drops. Not everyone has that, I guess. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harajuku Barbie said:

If I’m being correct, she labelled it as promo single after she saw the consumer’s reaction… 

16 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

She said it's not the lead-single after the fact it flopped :rip: please... 

And yes that video definitely had a high budget. It's so apparent. 

She never labeled it as anything to begin with. She just announced it was being released...and EVEN IF it was her lead single, how are you honestly going to judge an entire era off of 1 song without hearing the album first? It's just dumb. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.