popculturechat-3gtpntn7dz9b1.png

popculturechat-b6wccv2fdz9b1.png

popculturechat-vkuvf6gvdz9b1.png

popculturechat-xcnnd8ibdz9b1-1.png

popculturechat-gbnjxoucdz9b1.png

popculturechat-iksd3n8cdz9b1.png

popculturechat-xiewx7iddz9b1.png

sub-buzz-1173-1687980923-1.jpg?downsize=

Drake's new poetry book, Titles Ruin Everything, is what happens when someone is constantly told that they're more clever than they actually are. Across 168 pages of single-line text, Drake quips about women, sex, women, money, fake friends, and women. Ever heard a Drake song before? You've basically read the book!

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/drake-poetry-book-review/

It turns out not everyone had as enthusiastic a response to Drake‘s book of poetry as DJ Khaled did (and even his was a little noncommital). After Complex got a few full-time poets to review the book, Drake learned that he wasn’t being taken quite as seriously as perhaps he’d hoped.

With a title like Titles Ruin Everything, you’d think he’s in on the joke, but as New York Times bestselling author Hanif Abdurraqib pointed out, it’s kind of hard to tell. “None of these strike me as poems, because they’re not even attempting to push against any unknown in order to offer something revelatory or at least somewhat beautiful,” he says in the piece.

“Some of these are so absurd that they’re actually funny,” he continues. “But it’s hard to tell if he also understands that they’re bending into absurdist humor, and understands that there will be people who find it profound. Or if he’s convinced himself of the profundity. Really, it’s kind of just a book of puns. Silly lil’ jokes. It is a struggle for me to tell how in on the joke he is… I’m not personally offended by anything that masquerades as poetry, because it happens so often in every possible arena of entertainment and consumption, but this is essentially a coffee table book of one-line jokes.”

Houston poet laureate Aris Kian echoed Hanif’s thoughts, musing, “Drake’s poems operate within an excess of white space, a reduced set of images and limited punctuation. The tools of tension, breath and play are only explored through the typical two-line set up/punchline format.”

Of course, if any of this ruffled Drake’s feathers, he seems reluctant to show it. In his Instagram Story, he posted a response of sorts with a meme calling the critics “Randomly angry poets” (despite, y’know, the author calling them to ask their opinions and neither seeming all that angry) and shrugging off their criticism.

Of course, this could just be a case of Drake coping with receiving pushback on yet another of his creative endeavors — even if it is, as one of my colleagues put it in Slack, “not poetry, it’s merch.”

drake-poetry-book.jpeg?resize=1024,1820

https://uproxx.com/music/drake-poetry-book-panned-response/

Edited by GentleDance
  • Haha 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GentleDance

• Big Bad Wolf

• slw84

• naval23

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's better than Rupi Kaur at least. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Kim selfie book of rap

• Haha 1

Sucks ass he should suck mine next

Why do have of these sound like they're about Rihanna

He's definitely not over her 

• Haha 1

He should have done a book of nudes of himself, give the gays and the girls what we want. 

How old is he? He really is the corniest man out there :rip: 

• Like 1

Celebrities should be banned from writing poetry 

• Like 1

So embarrassing. When are we going to collectively decide that Drake is no longer cool and stop giving him all the success he has? We’re tired. 

Just now, Kimi said:

Celebrities should be banned from writing poetry 

Except Lana.

• Like 1

Some more entries

"No one is gaslighting you 

You’re just so toxic that you’re flammable."

-

"My therapist told me I need to stop listening to what people tell me

but if I take her advice wouldn’t I be listening to what people tell me?"

-

"You were in my dream last night

They call that a nightmare, right?"

This is exactly why critics/reviews are irrelevant. It's Drake and you all know Drake's brand. Why are people surprised? Please, it's his express of Poetry get with it or get on. Plenty of Poets out there :gaycat5:

• Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

Except Lana.

Especially Lana, and I'm a huge fan :priceless:

Edited by GentleDance

An obvious cash grab bobby trap :deadbanana2:

And also who told Drake he can write poems? Is a "one-liner" even a poem, cuz it seems to me it's more of an an expression/slogan or a pick up line?

I expect at least 2 stanzas for a "regular" poem tbh, or if it's just one stanza then it should have at least 6-8 lines or something. 

Edited by aesthetic bih

Just now, GentleDance said:

Especially Lana :priceless:

Nope. Seethe tho, Apple stan.

• Thumbs Down 1

Lol I definitely think he’s in on it. Drake knows his brand and reputation.

He's like a factory rapper - just spits out quantity but the quality just hasn't been there and he doesn't give a fk 

Poor trees, poor papers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.