'Barney' movie starring Daniel Kaluuya | A24-esque thirty-something midlife-crisis

genetic fail

Daniel Kaluuya Confirms His 'Barney' Movie Is Still Happening & It's Darker  Than The TV Show

As per The New Yorker (in a bit teased out by Deadline), the long-in-the-works Barney movie, which has touted Daniel Kaluuya as both star and producer since at least 2019, is not going to be just for kids — or maybe for kids at all. According to exec Kevin McKeon, it will be “surrealistic.”

“We’re leaning into the millennial angst of the property rather than fine-tuning this for kids,” McKeon said. “It’s really a play for adults. Not that it’s R-rated, but it’ll focus on some of the trials and tribulations of being thirtysomething, growing up with Barney — just the level of disenchantment within the generation.”

Source

Are you excited for the Mattel Cinematic Universe?

Barnie Nae GIF - Barnie Nae Nae Nae - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by genetic fail

So….Death to Smoochy? lol. 

Adore Daniel Kaluuya tho, so consider me seated.

This sounds like one of those things that is so utterly batshit insane but it somehow works :deadbanana2:

it'll turn out as good as winnie the pooh blood and honey :gaycat6:

• ATRL Moderator

Sounds like it could work tbh :skull: 

Who’s playing Demi and Selena?

I thought this said Barbie tbh

Daniel is great tho so I’ll check out the trailer 

Is Queen Baby Bop gonna be in it??

25 minutes ago, andresg770 said:

Is Queen Baby Bop gonna be in it??

Let’s hope so… she’s iconic!

btw it sounds interesting despite being weird? And I trust A24 so I’m here for it

Sounds like a slay. We need Baby Bop for the awards sweep though :clap3:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d73mf92mifr6xqd3k053

I'm sorry, who exactly is this movie for?

Dr. Alexander
3 minutes ago, Dephira said:

I'm sorry, who exactly is this movie for?

The adults who grew up with Barney.

I had thought I read in another article that it’ll follow some adults who are going through serious hardships and Barney pushes them through it. I suppose lessons that he taught in his films, songs, and shows.

Regardless, I’ll be seated. I had a collection of Barney VHS tapes as a child :gaycat2:

Well if there’s an actor who can sell this premise, it’ll be Daniel Kaluuya

this sounds kinda iconic lol

Daniel Kaluuya is in there so, I have faith on it even when I have zero clue what this could be about. 

I like the idea that he could be playing Barney’s actor, with the movie being about the juxtaposition between the happiness he plays while in the suit vs the reality of the life he faces himself. From the description in the OP it doesn’t sound like that though, but that’s what I imagined when I heard about it  🤔

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.