How did Christina Aguilera get away with wearing blackface & cultural appropriation?

johnny_9ss

People like to call out Ariana Grande for her... skin color changing. But she never served this:

D_iZ49oXYBAlPVD.jpg

FULcHQzWQAAKQ4y.jpg

12.jpg

Brownface:

d60393f4a5c4399c9f4e0ecdff7807c26c6dcbf7

Appropriation of cornrows:

3f43be05e73b3ee464c5d4e7a6a486591f51c918

Appropriation of the afro:

036d805d7ce6e7fa1ff0f9bb09f78d1959f140b5

Appropriation of the do-rag:

d3cd8a095dbc408b45943c0f30951431a8360699

Appropriation and sexualization  of the kimono/geisha imagery:

e32154c9a3f5da833a45ce7554044e1b10694497

Has she ever acknowledged this and apologized for her behavior?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 8

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• banterfly

• brenda-walsh

• professor2000

• JayG

Christina always praised black culture and music by black artists. She never used it as a way to gain a fanbase like Ariana or Miley. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 12

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Christina always praised black culture and music by black artists. She never used it as a way to gain a fanbase like Ariana or Miley. 

??? :rip: 

• Like 2

Just now, suburbannature said:

??? :rip: 

Miley used black audiences and music to gain new fans for Bangerz and then went to lily white country music after Dead Petz. Christina has always loved music by black artists. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

This. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Times were different, you had Gween serving chola and harujuku for a whole era.

I think JLo got away with throwing the n word in a song roo.

• Like 3

Just now, Trash said:

1 minute ago, Trash said:

She didn't get away with it people still call her ass out for it. 

Legend X sees no color

BAxx3I.gif

Edited by HASHTAGPOW

It was a different time, and no one was offended back then. She was showing her appreciation of other races and cultures. 

Edited by Shimenawa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Josh said:

This.

And she was very much accepted/loved by Black folks — both artists and GP (see: her getting invited to many Black artist tributes, including Whitney).  So I don’t necessarily consider her appropriating Black culture.  She lowkey one of us lolllll.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 8

1 minute ago, professor2000 said:

This.

And she was very much accepted/loved by Black folks — both artists and GP (see: her getting invited to many Black artist tributes, including Whitney).  So I don’t necessarily consider her appropriating Black culture.  She lowkey one of us lolllll.  

She was always the blonde hair white girl with the big voice. It wasn't forced like Miley

6 minutes ago, Shimenawa said:

It was a different time, and no one was offended back then. She was showing her appreciation of other races and cultures.  And it was normal and fun.

Basically. And intention is important, as others have noted in this thread. Also important to note that she moved away from this and has received backlash over it at times, as we can see from people bringing out weird hater tiktoks about it.

That's not saying we can excuse all of it, but it's also weird to bring it up when people have moved on and don't exhibit continued problematic behaviour. 

Christina was always known as a Latina. She was just going through a chola phase. Nobody thought she was trying to be black just a ghetto latina

a better question would be how pink (the original Miley wanna be black) blackfished and was trying to actually pass as mixed. Also even Britney tried to be ghetto and play on black culture but she broke her knee in the process 

• Like 10
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 5

It was a different time. There was no malice intended. 

Edited by Marry The Gods
  • Like 3

This flamebait thread @ Ariana. Get a life OP. The hair and costuming choices are questionable now(and she probably wasn't educated enough as somebody who was swept up into the entertainment industry as a little girl) but having a tan isn't being racist and never will be unless the tanned person is colorist as well. :deadbanana4:

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

She was always the blonde hair white girl with the big voice. It wasn't forced like Miley

Baby this is your 4th post in like 5 minutes in this thread, breathe. You stan kpop let's not start talking about CA or blackf**e. Everybody is on their own journey and Miley has never done anything overtly racist to my knowledge.

Edited by Century
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

It was the 2000s and none of these are in bad taste

6 minutes ago, Asparagus Spears said:

I’m sick of people calling artists out for using fake tan and calling it black face. It’s actually so ridiculous 😂

I also agree with this

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

Christina always praised black culture and music by black artists. 

25 minutes ago, Trash said:

17 minutes ago, Shimenawa said:

It was a different time, and no one was offended back then. She was showing her appreciation of other races and cultures. 

12 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

12 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Back then it was seen as cultural appreciation rather than appropriation

Gwen Stefani was a lot worse yet was praised back then :skull:

But honestly they didn’t have any bad intention, people just demonize everything these days for clickbait and attention 

9 minutes ago, Asparagus Spears said:

I’m sick of people calling artists out for using fake tan and calling it black face. It’s actually so ridiculous 😂

:cm:

Edited by bliaz

6 minutes ago, Century said:

This flamebait thread @ Ariana. Get a life OP. The hair and costuming choices are questionable now(and she probably wasn't educated enough as somebody who was swept up into the entertainment industry as a little girl) but having a tan isn't being racist and never will be unless the tanned person is colorist as well. :deadbanana4:

Baby this is your 4th post in like 5 minutes in this thread, breathe. You stan kpop let's not start talking about CA or blackf**e. Everybody is on their own journey and Miley has never done anything overtly racist to my knowledge.

Miley literally said trashed hip hop by calling it "dangerous" based on the men she hung around during Bangerz. And okay? I stan for Kpop 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Miley literally said trashed hip hop by calling it "dangerous" based on the men she hung around during Bangerz. And okay? I stan for Kpop 

She literally twerked on stage with a WHITE sexual predator. You missed the point. :deadbanana4:

• Thumbs Down 1

46 minutes ago, Mtjjproducer said:

Christina was always known as a Latina. She was just going through a chola phase. Nobody thought she was trying to be black just a ghetto latina

a better question would be how pink (the original Miley wanna be black) blackfished and was trying to actually pass as mixed. Also even Britney tried to be ghetto and play on black culture but she broke her knee in the process 

you should have just left this in your drafts :rip:

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.