Is the Eras Tour the most impactful concert in the last decade?

Taylor fanboy

No. There was much bigger hype for Bad Bunny’s last summer tour than this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• Steve Johnson

• Badgalbriel

• Rep2000

8 hours ago, Sannie said:

I think you guys do not understand the difference between 'successful' and 'impactful'. Considering the tour is still ongoing, we do not know what its impact will be. It is very successful, but I do not know about impactful.

When I think of 'impactful', I think of tours like Madonna's Blonde Ambition that laid the groundwork for many future female tours. There is nothing creatively unique or boundary-pushing about the Eras Tour so I am not sure who is going to copy it?

Right ? :dies:

9 hours ago, Sannie said:

I think you guys do not understand the difference between 'successful' and 'impactful'. Considering the tour is still ongoing, we do not know what its impact will be. It is very successful, but I do not know about impactful.

When I think of 'impactful', I think of tours like Madonna's Blonde Ambition that laid the groundwork for many future female tours. There is nothing creatively unique or boundary-pushing about the Eras Tour so I am not sure who is going to copy it?

You're the one that seems confused. Impact can be measured in real and short time. The word you seem to be look for it legacy or influence.

Is a non factor, sorry

• Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

Impactful in terms of sales and economics as usual, not really impactful artistically or performing wise. 

Basically this lol

Like most say, cute show, nice gowns, not life changing. The people from my job went and they said they liked the show but couldn’t really say what. They did mention the lights. Cute

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Devin said:

Coldplay, Beyoncé, Benito and Abel says hi

You guys acting like Love On Tour doesn't exist when he's the one getting #1 in the Billboard touring chart, the Tour of the Year Pollstar award, breaking attendance records, and getting this type of reviews

Fy7CL1hWAAA8aLQ?format=jpg&name=small

Is actually hilarious

OT: It'll be economically impactful for sure. Probably the biggest tour of all time (perhaps not adjusted for inflation, depends on if it can actually top U2's billion). And of course, it's getting a ton of attention.

I don't know that it'll impact how other people tour, like, change the landscape. If I had to guess, I'd say probably not, because it's not very sustainable.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

What impact does this tour actually have? Like just list one :deadbanana4:

The controversy and "Swift's star power" has inspired a string of bills in the U.S. According to Carolyn Sloane, assistant professor of economics of the University of California, Riverside, the fiasco spurred mass political action because Swift "has scaled her talent through demographic technology".

Federal

• Klobuchar and Blumenthal proposed the Unlocking Tickets Markets Act in the U.S. Senate; it would grant the Federal Trade Commission the power to prevent "excessively long" exclusive contracts and open the market to more ticket-selling companies than just one like Ticketmaster.
  • Pascrell and Frank Pallone proposed BOSS and SWIFT Act (Better Oversight of Stub Sales and Strengthening Well Informed and Fair Transactions for Audiences of Concert Ticketing) in the U.S. House, requiring ticket-sellers to disclose the total cost, including a breakdown of fees, the total number of tickets offered for sale within seven days of an event, and prohibit promoters or venue employees from reselling tickets at elevated prices.
  • Ted Cruz, Maria Cantwell, Jan Schakowsky and Gus Bilirakis proposed the TICKET Act (Transparency In Charges for Key Events Ticketing Act) in both houses of the Congress, requiring ticket platforms to display the full price in advertising and marketing materials and disclose "speculative tickets"—the tickets the seller does not possess when making the sale.

State

• The New York State Assembly enacted a bill in December 2022 proposed by member Kenny Burgos " to crack down on scalping and control the ticket-resale market."
  • In the Washington State Legislature, Representative Kristine Reeves debuted in January 2023 the TSWIFT Consumer Protection Act, which mandates the prohibition of bots or software to buy tickets and restrictions on dynamic pricing. When the bill stalled, Reeves claimed that Ticketmaster has hired lobbyists to "kill" her bill and she "hopes to redraft the measure in the next legislative session."
  • The Minnesota House of Representatives passed the "House File 1989" bill—the title being a reference to Swift's 2014 album 1989—to require Ticketmaster and other companies to reveal all the prices and fees upfront.
  • Members of the Massachusetts General Court introduced the "Taylor Swift Bill" in March 2023 that mandates ticketing companies to disclose full ticket costs upfront and outlaw dynamic pricing in the state.
  • Texas governor Greg Abbott signed the "Save Our Swifties" bill into law in May 2023, banning the use of bots and other technology to bulk-purchase concert tickets. Violation will elicit a penalty of up to $10,000 for every ticket purchase.
  • The California State Assembly passed Bill 8, sponsored by Laura Friedman, Jacqui Irwin and Scott Wilk, that requires ticket sellers to elucidate the total prices upfront.

+

Arguably no tour has ever been this impactful politically :rip:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Music Industry said:

The controversy and "Swift's star power" has inspired a string of bills in the U.S. According to Carolyn Sloane, assistant professor of economics of the University of California, Riverside, the fiasco spurred mass political action because Swift "has scaled her talent through demographic technology".

Federal

• Klobuchar and Blumenthal proposed the Unlocking Tickets Markets Act in the U.S. Senate; it would grant the Federal Trade Commission the power to prevent "excessively long" exclusive contracts and open the market to more ticket-selling companies than just one like Ticketmaster.
  • Pascrell and Frank Pallone proposed BOSS and SWIFT Act (Better Oversight of Stub Sales and Strengthening Well Informed and Fair Transactions for Audiences of Concert Ticketing) in the U.S. House, requiring ticket-sellers to disclose the total cost, including a breakdown of fees, the total number of tickets offered for sale within seven days of an event, and prohibit promoters or venue employees from reselling tickets at elevated prices.
  • Ted Cruz, Maria Cantwell, Jan Schakowsky and Gus Bilirakis proposed the TICKET Act (Transparency In Charges for Key Events Ticketing Act) in both houses of the Congress, requiring ticket platforms to display the full price in advertising and marketing materials and disclose "speculative tickets"—the tickets the seller does not possess when making the sale.

State

• The New York State Assembly enacted a bill in December 2022 proposed by member Kenny Burgos " to crack down on scalping and control the ticket-resale market."
  • In the Washington State Legislature, Representative Kristine Reeves debuted in January 2023 the TSWIFT Consumer Protection Act, which mandates the prohibition of bots or software to buy tickets and restrictions on dynamic pricing. When the bill stalled, Reeves claimed that Ticketmaster has hired lobbyists to "kill" her bill and she "hopes to redraft the measure in the next legislative session."
  • The Minnesota House of Representatives passed the "House File 1989" bill—the title being a reference to Swift's 2014 album 1989—to require Ticketmaster and other companies to reveal all the prices and fees upfront.
  • Members of the Massachusetts General Court introduced the "Taylor Swift Bill" in March 2023 that mandates ticketing companies to disclose full ticket costs upfront and outlaw dynamic pricing in the state.
  • Texas governor Greg Abbott signed the "Save Our Swifties" bill into law in May 2023, banning the use of bots and other technology to bulk-purchase concert tickets. Violation will elicit a penalty of up to $10,000 for every ticket purchase.
  • The California State Assembly passed Bill 8, sponsored by Laura Friedman, Jacqui Irwin and Scott Wilk, that requires ticket sellers to elucidate the total prices upfront.

+

Arguably no tour has ever been this impactful politically :rip:

I think the tour is actually impactful, but can't all those words be summarized with "ticketmaster and scalpers bad"? I don't think you need to pad its actual impact with all that. Multiple heads of countries are asking for the tour, you have Philippines re-enacting parts of it in the mall, entire counties changing names, making her major, etc. Like, you could've named actual impact :rip:

1 minute ago, More Than A Melody said:

You guys acting like Love On Tour doesn't exist when he's the one getting #1 in the Billboard touring chart, the Tour of the Year Pollstar award, breaking attendance records, and getting this type of reviews

Fy7CL1hWAAA8aLQ?format=jpg&name=small

Is actually hilarious

Is it an act when I don’t keep up with Harry?

spacer.png

+ ur response further proves my point how there are indeed other impactful, critically acclaimed tours this decade.

Just now, Devin said:

Is it an act when I don’t keep up with Harry?

spacer.png

+ ur response further proves my point how there are indeed other impactful, critically acclaimed tours this decade.

No I guess it's not an act but it's certainly weird to be following pop culture closely enough to have 30K+ posts on a pop culture forum and not know one of the most culturally impactful events happening in pop culture around you. But that's alright, I'm used to it.

I do agree, Eras tour is certainly not the only one, by far. You also forgot Ed Sheeran, who recently broke an attendance record at Met Life Stadium. Big acts are finally touring again, and there's a lot of good acts making the rounds

9 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

I think the tour is actually impactful, but can't all those words be summarized with "ticketmaster and scalpers bad"? I don't think you need to pad its actual impact with all that. Multiple heads of countries are asking for the tour, you have Philippines re-enacting parts of it in the mall, entire counties changing names, making her major, etc. Like, you could've named actual impact :rip:

Did you even read? That's literally a list of legislations introduced as a result of the Eras Tour. How is that not tangible, actual impact... :rip:

11 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

I can’t remove my stan goggles off so I’ll let ATRL decide. :redface:

spacer.png

anyone that says otherwise is outright delusional 

3 hours ago, Sergi91 said:

No. There was much bigger hype for Bad Bunny’s last summer tour than this. 

IJBOOOOL 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Music Industry said:

Did you even read? That's literally a list of legislations introduced as a result of the Eras Tour. How is that not tangible, actual impact... :rip:

I did read, all the legislations stemmed from the same thing: the ticketmaster debacle and the scalpers issue. It's impact, but it's one bullet point of impact. You had so much to choose from, literally Minneapolis changing name while she's there and stuff :rip: the state list, for instance, is basically the same thing happening in different states.

It's not worth fighting for, anyway

2 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

I did read, all the legislations stemmed from the same thing: the ticketmaster debacle and the scalpers issue. It's impact, but it's one bullet point of impact. (...) the state list, for instance, is basically the same thing happening in different states.

What kind of weird specific logic is this :rip: The fact that she caused bills to be drafted in several states, on the federal level AND in other countries amplifies the impact greatly. It's obviously much more impressive to cause political changes in a bunch of different territories rather than in a single state. Not sure why you're nitpicking about something like this :deadbanana4:

4 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

You had so much to choose from, literally Minneapolis changing name while she's there and stuff :rip:

Ok? The person I quoted asked for "one" example of impact, and that's what I did...? Like? :deadbanana2: Her causing national (and international) political discussions and the concert industry monopoly, scalpers and the ticket-buying process is obviously of greater importance than stans in the Philippines recreating her concert or a city changing its name for day. But since you seem to care so much about those, here's another list for you:

• Glendale changed its name from March 17 to 18 as it hosted the first shows of the Eras Tour. Mayor Jerry Weiers announced the "symbolic" name, Swift City, on March 13. The Westgate Entertainment District, a mixed-use complex in Glendale, put up welcome messages, and local restaurants offered Swift-themed menu items.
  • Las Vegas displayed light shows inspired by the color palettes of the Eras Tour every night through March 25 at the Gateway Arches on Las Vegas Boulevard.
  • Arlington, Texas renamed Randol Mill Road, the street outside AT&T Stadium, to Taylor Swift Way on March 30. Mayor Jim Ross declared March 31 through April 2 "Taylor Swift Weekend", during which the steel sculptures outside Arlington City Hall were lit red in reference to her album Red; Swift was also presented with a key to the city. Additionally, the Arlington Museum of Art announced on March 30 that it would host an exhibit exploring Swift's "evolving, boundary-pushing" artistry, featuring costumes, photographs, and concert videos from her album eras. Titled The Eras Tour Collection, the exhibit runs from June 2 to September 24, 2023.
  • Tampa presented Swift with a key to the city; Mayor Jane Castor invited Swift to be the city's honorary mayor for a day. Tampa City Hall, Tampa Riverwalk, and downtown bridges were lit red. Hillsborough County temporarily changed its name to Swiftsborough.
  • Houston illuminated its city hall lavender as a nod to "Lavender Haze", celebrated "The Eras Tour weekend", and renamed NRG Stadium to NRG Stadium (Taylor's Version) from April 21 to 23, per a proclamation by Harris County judge Lina Hidalgo.
  • In Atlanta, Georgia's Own Credit Union welcomed Swift with a large "Welcome to A-TAY-L" sign displayed atop its skyscraper building. Taylorsville, Georgia declared April 28, 2023 "Taylor Swift Day" and presented Swift with a key to the city following her three sold-out shows at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
  • In Nashville, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum opened an exhibit titled Through Taylor Swift's Eras, displaying original outfits from every album era throughout May 2023. Mayor John Cooper recognized May 5 to 7 as "Taylor Swift Homecoming Weekend" and placed an "honorary bench" at Centennial Park as a monument dedicated to "Nashville and Swift's long-standing relationship", in reference to lyrics in "Invisible String".
  • Philadelphia unveiled a mural on South Street on May 12 in Taylor Swift's honor.
  • Massachusetts governor Maura Healey conferred a "Governor's Citation" upon Swift in recognition of her Foxborough shows.
  • New York City's Museum of Arts and Design announced an exhibit called Taylor Swift: Storyteller on May 3, describing it as a "career-spanning look at [Swift's] artistic reinventions"; it opened May 20, ahead of Swift's shows in East Rutherford, and will run up-to September 4.
  • New Jersey governor Phil Murphy declared the "Taylor Swift ham, egg, and cheese" as the state's official sandwich on May 25, referencing the cultural debate about Taylor ham and pork roll.
  • In Pittsburgh, Mayor Ed Gainey renamed the city "Swiftsburgh" for the weekend. The Gateway Clipper Fleet threw Swift-themed parties for passengers; the Carnegie Science Center organized an Eras Tour-themed scavenger hunt of miniature Swift dolls hidden throughout the Miniature Railroad and Village exhibition on June 16 and 17; and the Buhl Planetarium hosted a Swift-themed laser show.
  • Minneapolis renamed itself "Swiftieapolis" on June 23.
  • Ohio state legislators introduced a resolution to designate July 1 as "Taylor Swift Day" in honor of her Cincinnati shows.
  • Thanks 1

On a more serious note, it will be the first billion dollar and highest grossing tour of all time. It will be the first time ever that a female has held the highest grossing tour of all time. It's the most talked about tour of the century. It's driven the greatest increase in music consumption for an artist in memory. Cities have fawned over the economic activity its brought to each of the dates. And the show itself has been universally praised for an innovative and ambitious structure that's over three hours long - largely unheard of outside of Bruce Springsteen - and celebrates all of her music.

If that's not impact, what is impact for a tour? And who cares?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

What kind of weird specific logic is this :rip: The fact that she caused bills to be drafted in several states, on the federal level AND in other countries amplifies the impact greatly. It's obviously much more impressive to cause political changes in a bunch of different territories rather than in a single state. Not sure why you're nitpicking about something like this :deadbanana4:

Ok? The person I quoted asked for "one" example of impact, and that's what I did...? Like? :deadbanana2: Her causing national (and international) political discussions and the concert industry monopoly, scalpers and the ticket-buying process is obviously of greater importance than stans in the Philippines recreating her concert or a city changing its name for day. But since you seem to care so much about those, here's another list for you:

• Glendale changed its name from March 17 to 18 as it hosted the first shows of the Eras Tour. Mayor Jerry Weiers announced the "symbolic" name, Swift City, on March 13. The Westgate Entertainment District, a mixed-use complex in Glendale, put up welcome messages, and local restaurants offered Swift-themed menu items.
  • Las Vegas displayed light shows inspired by the color palettes of the Eras Tour every night through March 25 at the Gateway Arches on Las Vegas Boulevard.
  • Arlington, Texas renamed Randol Mill Road, the street outside AT&T Stadium, to Taylor Swift Way on March 30. Mayor Jim Ross declared March 31 through April 2 "Taylor Swift Weekend", during which the steel sculptures outside Arlington City Hall were lit red in reference to her album Red; Swift was also presented with a key to the city. Additionally, the Arlington Museum of Art announced on March 30 that it would host an exhibit exploring Swift's "evolving, boundary-pushing" artistry, featuring costumes, photographs, and concert videos from her album eras. Titled The Eras Tour Collection, the exhibit runs from June 2 to September 24, 2023.
  • Tampa presented Swift with a key to the city; Mayor Jane Castor invited Swift to be the city's honorary mayor for a day. Tampa City Hall, Tampa Riverwalk, and downtown bridges were lit red. Hillsborough County temporarily changed its name to Swiftsborough.
  • Houston illuminated its city hall lavender as a nod to "Lavender Haze", celebrated "The Eras Tour weekend", and renamed NRG Stadium to NRG Stadium (Taylor's Version) from April 21 to 23, per a proclamation by Harris County judge Lina Hidalgo.
  • In Atlanta, Georgia's Own Credit Union welcomed Swift with a large "Welcome to A-TAY-L" sign displayed atop its skyscraper building. Taylorsville, Georgia declared April 28, 2023 "Taylor Swift Day" and presented Swift with a key to the city following her three sold-out shows at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
  • In Nashville, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum opened an exhibit titled Through Taylor Swift's Eras, displaying original outfits from every album era throughout May 2023. Mayor John Cooper recognized May 5 to 7 as "Taylor Swift Homecoming Weekend" and placed an "honorary bench" at Centennial Park as a monument dedicated to "Nashville and Swift's long-standing relationship", in reference to lyrics in "Invisible String".
  • Philadelphia unveiled a mural on South Street on May 12 in Taylor Swift's honor.
  • Massachusetts governor Maura Healey conferred a "Governor's Citation" upon Swift in recognition of her Foxborough shows.
  • New York City's Museum of Arts and Design announced an exhibit called Taylor Swift: Storyteller on May 3, describing it as a "career-spanning look at [Swift's] artistic reinventions"; it opened May 20, ahead of Swift's shows in East Rutherford, and will run up-to September 4.
  • New Jersey governor Phil Murphy declared the "Taylor Swift ham, egg, and cheese" as the state's official sandwich on May 25, referencing the cultural debate about Taylor ham and pork roll.
  • In Pittsburgh, Mayor Ed Gainey renamed the city "Swiftsburgh" for the weekend. The Gateway Clipper Fleet threw Swift-themed parties for passengers; the Carnegie Science Center organized an Eras Tour-themed scavenger hunt of miniature Swift dolls hidden throughout the Miniature Railroad and Village exhibition on June 16 and 17; and the Buhl Planetarium hosted a Swift-themed laser show.
  • Minneapolis renamed itself "Swiftieapolis" on June 23.
  • Ohio state legislators introduced a resolution to designate July 1 as "Taylor Swift Day" in honor of her Cincinnati shows.

Girl, all I was saying was that you had a ton of things to choose from to reflect how impactful it was. It's not that serious and you didn't need to get defensive.

Thanks for the list.

• Thumbs Down 1

If you get multiple cities officials AND countries leaders to complain about you not touring there, that's impact.

Well, I am sure everyone would want tour of this caliber, so yes. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.