Is the Eras Tour the most impactful concert in the last decade?

Taylor fanboy

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• Steve Johnson

• Badgalbriel

• Rep2000

5 hours ago, Steve Johnson said:
4 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

That's all? A billionaire donating money? Wow, truly impactful. Taylor might be the most impactful person on earth then! 

1 hour ago, Artistofthedecade said:

The clock :rofl:

Also kii at complaining about economic impact but... giving examples of fundraising and production budget 

31sk0ug.gif

all the usual suspects responding to my comment :dies: collected the most annoying Swifties trilogy with one swoop :dies:

the problem is, my dears, I'm not delusional or rotten-brained enough to call any ongoing tour "the most impactful concert of the last decade." I added RWT for the kiis as an example of impact, but the rest of my examples are actually about what the shows achieved in relation to culture and society at large in the long term.

good to know Taylor is also doing philanthropic work en route. :clap3: but I still don't have an answer for what makes her show any different than every big pop star's tour from the last 10 years. heck, how is it more "impactful" than Taylor's own past tours? the Eras Tour is impactful, for sure. but "the single most impactful concert" it is not.

• Like 1

People: *provide actual examples of impact changing lives, history, the world with scholarships, voting, and innovation influencing artists and tech*

Swifties: “eras is feeding food banks!!1 CLOCKTtt!! she invented rain?!

4knjk9.jpg

4 minutes ago, kimberly said:

good to know Taylor is also doing philanthropic work en route. :clap3:

but I still don't have an answer for what makes her show "impactful"

This.

I didn’t know she was making donations with this tour and not to diminish it but I’m glad she’s doing something as it’s going to be the highest grossing tour. So I hope later we hear she helps even more with all the earnings

Seeing how this tour is impacting thing people value the most - money, besides the health, and in more ways than one, I think the answer is yes. 

no

46 minutes ago, kimberly said:

all the usual suspects responding to my comment :dies: collected the most annoying Swifties trilogy with one swoop :dies:

the problem is, my dears, I'm not delusional or rotten-brained enough to call any ongoing tour "the most impactful concert of the last decade." I added RWT for the kiis as an example of impact, but the rest of my examples are actually about what the shows achieved in relation to culture and society at large in the long term.

good to know Taylor is also doing philanthropic work en route. :clap3: but I still don't have an answer for what makes her show any different than every big pop star's tour from the last 10 years. heck, how is it more "impactful" than Taylor's own past tours? the Eras Tour is impactful, for sure. but "the single most impactful concert" it is not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eras_Tour

A quick look at impact section would answer your questions, especially popular culture part  :gaycat3:

Just few quick quotes

The New York Times author Ben Sisario called the Eras Tour a "cultural juggernaut".[191] The Recording Academy published, the tour is "the most legendary of [Swift's] generation", emphasizing it is "hard to imagine that any other tour this year will have a cultural impact as big".[192] Music journalist Amanda Petrusich wrote, despite the noted decline of monocultural affairs in contemporary popular culture as consumers "no longer consume the same cultural objects at the same time or in the same way", the Eras Tour is an exception, achieving a rare, "mind-boggling inescapability".[193] USA Today described the Eras Tour as a "historically monumental event".[96]

The Guardian journalist Dave Simpson wrote that the 44-song set list of the Eras Tour might increase the demand for "longer" concerts and may "trigger a set list arms race as artists battle to play longer than each other." He opined that the It's All a Blur Tour, an upcoming co-headlining tour by Drake and 21 Savage, was inspired by the concept of the Eras Tour, with the former's promotional poster depicting a "career retrospective" similar to the latter. Rolling Stone further noted the influence of Swift's tour on the upcoming Jonas Brothers tour, on which they will perform "five albums every night".[225] 

Culture journalist Kate Lindsay dubbed the tour "post-reality TV" in her Substack newsletter.[202] According to Tyler Foggatt of The New Yorker, Swift "has done to stadium shows what Beyoncé did to Coachella, and to millennials what Bruce Springsteen did to baby boomers. She has crafted a spectacle—a long-form, real-life experience in an age that is otherwise dominated by short-form online content—though the tour is also perfectly designed to be consumed online."[134]

Vogue further noted the tour's impact on social media fashion, which used to only be a phenomenon of music festivals such as Coachella;[217] many fans wore replicas of Swift's outfits or costumes based on her music to the concert.[218][219] Shannon Aducci of Footwear News opined that Swifties at the Eras Tour shaped the direction of 2023 summer fashion.[220]

Edited by Artistofthedecade
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eras_Tour

A quick check of impact section would answer your questions, especially popular culture part  :gaycat3:

Just few quick quotes

This is only saying it’s making the biggest splash from her generation. All these quotes fail to say what the impact is though. She invented long set lists? Memes? Gowns? that’s been done before. the ren tour is also very long. 
It keeps getting compared to beychella.. if anything this just shows how impactful that show actually was

————

Swifties in here projecting about their fandom being delusional

a swiftie in the other thread saying tay invented guitars, singing and writing:

her craft it’s now a rule (people expect new artists to be heavily involved in their music nowadays or else they don’t breakthrough

implying she invented artists reading their contracts:

ask new artist why they review those contracts very closely and negotiate theownership of their masters

18 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Seeing how this tour is impacting thing people value the most - money, besides the health, and in more ways than one, I think the answer is yes. 

This. 

1 minute ago, Steve Johnson said:

This. 

Are you guys money? Are you the government, in Taylor’s team, hold shares, or work for her label? Are you guys leaving the show with more money than you went with? 

even for us not going, are we suddenly going to earn more money when she hits our cities?

:dancehall:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

Are you guys money? Are you the government, in Taylor’s team, hold shares, or work for her label? Are you guys leaving the show with more money than you went with? 

even for us not going, are we suddenly going to earn more money when she hits our cities?

:dancehall:

Swifties are something else :bibliahh:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

People: *provide actual examples of impact changing lives, history, the world with scholarships, voting, and innovation influencing artists and tech*

Swifties: “eras is feeding food banks!!1 CLOCKTtt!! she invented rain?!

4knjk9.jpg

Wait, I thought Briney was the one invented indoor rain? And nice self portrait btw :fan:

13 hours ago, kimberly said:

so you've described that this tour is a blockbuster. no one's denying that.

what exactly is the impact? what does she bring to the table that other pop stars haven't yet? what makes it more significant than every other concert from the last 10 years?

invalid answers: tickets selling fast, people are waiting outside the stadium, highest gross, flow of capital, TikTok likes...

I'll give you the 3-hour performance. that's surely a feat. the rest... other stadium tours have covered 40+ songs and 10+ albums before. other tours also have visuals, outfits and routines for different acts :rip:

I am still failing to see how this concert is the "most impactful" besides how financially lucrative it has been for Swift, Ticketmaster, hotels and venues, which every Swiftie keeps parroting as an answer. 

let me name some actually impactful concerts of the last decade:

- Beychella: first Black woman to headline Coachella, highlighting HBCUs and HBCU marching bands.

- One Love Manchester: huge lineup, massive fundraising effort, Ariana putting her fans and anyone else suffering first, before her needs.

- Voyage: ABBA's hologram show, $175M budget for revolutionary technology, will have huge impact on concert production for years to come.

- Renaissance World Tour: providing 100 students $1M scholarships, building housing in Houston, giving grants to Black businesses at tour stops directly.

- Sweetener World Tour: broke the HeadCount record for registering the most voters in the US to vote in the elections.

Impact is an independent variable that shapes the media and culture directly from the music and without intervention.  Simply put it this way; if donating a negligible percentage of a half a billion dollar winning tour is a true testimony of one's impact then hypothetically if Gaga donates double the amount of money from the her Chromatica tour revenues despite being significantly a weaker touring force than Beyonce does that make her tour inherently more impactful?

I do not stan Taylor and I almost never consume her music however I need to say that the list you mentioned, expect for Beychella, is only an optional matter for Taylor. 

Not something she's incapable of.  I think you're mistaking impact with the greater good. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, Sparkle said:

Not at all. Speaking strictly from my personal experience, the very existence of this tour has only been brought to light for me recently and I certainly wouldn't have heard about it if it weren't for swifties spamming ATRL with mentions of it. Cute numbers though, people were really craving for live concerts after covid and it's showing!

It's almost as if your personal feelings don't matter in the grand scheme of things when it comes to general influence and impact. The numbers aren't just "cute" and a reflection of demand as a whole going up; she's outdoing everyone, and by far. Literally every industry expert agrees this will end up the biggest tour of all time :deadbanana2:

19 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

I do not stan Taylor and I almost never consume her music however I need to say that the list you mentioned, expect for Beychella, is only an optional matter for Taylor. 

Not something she's incapable of.  I think you're mistaking impact with the greater good. 

if she is capable, then she should do it, instead of putting on a show that looks like an expensive private school drama club production compared to her own standards she set with the Reputation Stadium Tour.

as it stands, The Eras Tour isn't impacting society and culture in the way Swifties want to gaslight people into thinking. it's a successful, blockbuster show. and Swifties are loving it, and all success stans and clout chasers are hopping on it (which is fine). in the grand scheme of things, the memorable aspect of this tour is going to be the final revenue. the show itself? it won't be the gold standard for anyone, not even Taylor Swift herself.

I have no doubt Taylor Swift could put on the most impactful concert of the century. She could organize a massive event to fundraise against anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. She could have brought out drag queens at her Nashville shows (perhaps the same ones she used for her YNTCD campaign). Lizzo did that by the way. But her hunger for mass appeal and revenue generation comes before anything she claims to stand for, and that's mainly all the "impact" that will come of this tour. (and the food bank donations I guess, let me not forget!) She has time to prove me wrong though and I will be happy if she does.

I am not a Taylor hater by the way. I have been to the Rep Tour and I am going to the Eras Tour. folklore and Red are among my favorite albums of all time. But some of the rhetoric Swifties generate around her is outright obnoxious, and increasingly so in recent months. they're setting her up to get dragged behaving like BTS Army. #BTSpavedtheway

1 minute ago, kimberly said:

as it stands, The Eras Tour isn't impacting society and culture in the way Swifties want to gaslight people into thinking.

The Eras Tour is quite literally the reason over half a dozen legislations on ticketing were introduced on state levels, on the US federal level and even in Brazil. That in itself is more impact on society than the example you gave of your fav with Beyoncé doing charity on her tour (which Taylor is also doing, mind you) :skull:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kimberly said:

I have no doubt Taylor Swift could put on the most impactful concert of the century. She could organize a massive event to fundraise against anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. She could have brought out drag queens at her Nashville shows (perhaps the same ones she used for her YNTCD campaign). Lizzo did that by the way. But her hunger for mass appeal and revenue generation comes before anything she claims to stand for,

At the start of Pride, Taylor gave almost a 5-minute long speech during her concert about supporting the LGBT community and inciting her fans to do research so they don't vote for politicians pushing anti-LGBTQ+ legislations. You seem so quick to criticize others for their lack of actions, but what exactly has your fav done during Pride month? It's crickets sis :deadbanana2:

• Like 1

Girls. Girls… calm down.

Lets have a look at the numbers * looks at the numbers * well it would appear that Taylor is on track to have the highest grossing tour of all time.

But sure, sure, that’s not impactful at all.

:gaycat3:

1 minute ago, Peroxide said:

Girls. Girls… calm down.

Lets have a look at the numbers * looks at the numbers * well it would appear that Taylor is on track to have the highest grossing tour of all time.

But sure, sure, that’s not impactful at all.

:gaycat3:

Isn’t it dethroning Ed sheerans? What impact did that one have exactly?

5 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

The Eras Tour is quite literally the reason over half a dozen legislations on ticketing were introduced on state levels, on the US federal level and even in Brazil. That in itself is more impact on society than the example you gave of your fav with Beyoncé doing charity on her tour (which Taylor is also doing, mind you) :skull:

again, over crediting Taylor Swift for something she hasn't actually challenged to change herself. Ticketmaster and their business policy has been a hot topic for a very long time, the current conversation dating back at the very least to the Ticketmaster & Live Nation merger in 2010. it's a cumulative effect, and The Eras Tour disaster was the tipping point. 

2 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

At the start of Pride, Taylor gave almost a 5-minute long speech during her concert about supporting the LGBT community and inciting her fans to do research so they don't vote for politicians pushing anti-LGBTQ+ legislations. You seem so quick to criticize others for their lack of actions, but what exactly has your fav done during Pride month? It's crickets sis :deadbanana2:

my fave actually worked with queer artists and producers on the album, the entire tour is narrated by a Black queer artist (Kevin Jz Prodigy), she has a whole ballroom section during the show, even the screen before the show starts displays a progress pride flag. she had trans artist and producer Arca as her opening DJ set. Renaissance Tour is highlighting and uplifting queer talent, and especially Black queer talent, tremendously. and it will continue doing just that.

but y'all can go with your narrative!

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

Isn’t it dethroning Ed sheerans? What impact did that one have exactly?

It would be dethroning U2’s 360 tour… by at least a few hundred million.

Ed’s tour was very successful, failing to see the point?

Oh that’s right, everyone likes to come up with their own arbitrary interpretations of the word “Impact” :rip:

Edited by Peroxide

1 minute ago, Peroxide said:

It would be dethroning U2’s 360 tour… by at least a few hundred million.

Ed’s tour was very successful, failing to see the point?

Oh that’s right, everyone likes to come up with their own arbitrary interpretations of the word :rip:

Or maybe people are trying to pass success as impact 🤷‍♀️ 

8 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

A rain machine. You are citing a rain machine as evidence of this, why do you expect anyone to take you seriously :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.