Estonia legalizes same-sex marriage

mystery

Historic decision: Estonia legalizes same-sex marriage

Tuesday, the Estonian government has survived a vote of no confidence in the Riigikogu tied to amendments to the Family Law Act and related legislation, which is granting same-sex couples the legal right to wed.  55 members of the Riigikogu voted in favor of the measure, while 34 voted against. 

It is proposed that the institution of marriage, as defined by family law, be modified so that  any two natural persons of legal age, regardless of gender, may marry. The words "man and woman" will be replaced with the words "two natural persons." 

The 85 amendments to the Family Law Act and other legislation which will introduce same-sex marriage contracts also include the establishment of the implementing acts for the Registered Partnership Act.  Going forward, alongside marriage, people will continue to enjoy the right to enter into a registered partnership. Such a partnership guarantees the right of registered spouses to have a say in decisions pertaining to their partner and to obtain support and benefits as needed. Couples who enter into a registered partnership will also be able to convert their status to marriage in a simplified procedure should they wish to do so. 

The act is planned to enter into force on January 1, 2024.  While Estonia passed the Registered Partnership Act back in 2014, its implementing provisions, or other amendments necessary for its full implementation, were shelved for years. With Tuesday's decision, Estonia becomes the second country in Eastern Europe to allow same-sex marriage, following Slovenia. 

"Everyone should have the right to marry the person they love and want to commit to. With this decision we are finally stepping among other Nordic countries as well as all the rest of the democratic countries in the world where marriage equality has been granted," Prime Minister Kaja Kallas (Reform) said. "This is a decision that does not take anything away from anyone but gives something important to many. It also shows that our society is caring and respectful towards each other. I am proud of Estonia."

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1

some good news for pride :clap3:

Japan or Thailand next.

18 minutes ago, mystery said:

"This is a decision that does not take anything away from anyone but gives something important to many. It also shows that our society is caring and respectful towards each other. I am proud of Estonia."

:clap3:

• Like 1

Congrats Eesti. :clap3:

Only the second eastern-ish EU country to do so. It has now successfully achieved Nordic country status. :clap3:

Edit

And the first post-Soviet country to legalize SSM. :clap3:

Edited by greeneyedsoul

We love to see it :clap3:

Proving us they’re the best baltic country once again:clap3:

Oh wow. A huge step for Eastern Europe. I'm so happy to hear this. :weeps:

We are streaming Kerli's Army of Love to celebrate :clap3: 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We're streaming Estonia's best Eurovision entry as a celebration :clap3:

Congrats to @Homogenic

let me stream "Beautiful Day" and "Can't Control The Kids" by Kerli to celebrate :clap3:

Great! I think that makes it 35 countries that have legalized same sex marriage by now

it's funny how in the Netherlands when they were first to legalize it, the conservatives there were saying that nobody would follow it, no other country. But now 34 other countries have. Lol.

might have to make a trip to estonia at one point in my life now, yay gays!

dojchella.thumb.gif.a83309c1d4ab9a3b8cda

What percentage of gays actually get married?

1 hour ago, JennyWayne said:

We're streaming Estonia's best Eurovision entry as a celebration :clap3:

that would be 2017 Verona but close enough

• ATRL Moderator

Streaming Bridges to celebrate! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.