This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

duds that have to leave:

baby

2 die 4

lightning

joshua tree

beach house

shooting star

barbados-attitude.gif

Used to Sampling the Same ******* Song out already? Now that was a zero well used.

FhnFloS.gif

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, greento said:

Not a secret, not a problem, not a symptom or cure

O4cnjAk.png

Sticking with Rina, the industrial, nu-metal inspired track “Your Age” leaves next. Critics have compared the songs sound with that of numerous rock bands, including Linkin Park and Nine Inch Nails. The song sees Sawayama trying to “process an early trauma” and it portrays her anger and disbelief at the adults that surrounded her at a young age. In an interview she stated "I think when you get older, you look back at certain things you've experienced and the way the adults handled it, and you kind of can't believe it." @supaspaz calls the song “A triumph of industrial-pop production.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Sanguine

10 - Supervillain

10 - pavi

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

I hate it here :gaycat7:

duds that have to leave:

Baby

Shooting Star

Hold the Girl

Holy

Imagining 

:giraffe:

• Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

duds that have to leave:

2 die 4

lightning

barbados-attitude.gif

the absolute lack of taste to call these "duds" 

AbU8Bss.gif 

Wowwwww Used to Know Me really went from like bottom 3 to top 3 for me after a few months and is still there. So I'm bummed it's already out. I know people like to say that the spirit of Ava Max took over Charli with that song, but it's leagues better than all of Ava's sample songs (well minus My Head My Heart, banger).

Not people trying to say Baby should have been lower than it though... no.

1 minute ago, NewStanner said:

Attention Shite

Fever 2.0 But Make It Bland (Surrender My Heart)

Constant Skip

1 minute ago, NewStanner said:

Girl those are some of the best songs in the rate

AbU8Bss.gif 

7 minutes ago, kimberly said:

duds that have to leave:

Hold the Girl

Holy

Imagining 

:giraffe:

these + Bad Thing Twice + Anxious are gonna be top 5 tho

AbU8Bss.gif

Edited by halcyonday

Your Age was ROBBED :monkey:

Love my girl Carly, but there are some questionable songs still in there :coffee2:

Selfish Girl and No Thinking Over The Weekend making it this far. I didn't even remember they existed :deadbanana4:

• ATRL Moderator
13 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Wowwwww Used to Know Me really went from like bottom 3 to top 3 for me after a few months and is still there. So I'm bummed it's already out. I know people like to say that the spirit of Ava Max took over Charli with that song, but it's leagues better than all of Ava's sample songs (well minus My Head My Heart, banger).

Not people trying to say Baby should have been lower than it though... no.

They are NOT serving tasteful homosexual in this thread I fear 

So glad no one’s mentioning Bends as a song that should go out next :party: literally her best song

• ATRL Moderator

Is “True Romance” still out or has that been rectified?

• ATRL Moderator
4 hours ago, madonnas said:

Those are good lyrics.  

This is not the madonnas I thought I knew. You and @Ewan Chaos are throwing me for a loop stanning “This Hell” while hating “Go Find Yourself or Whatever.”

• ATRL Moderator
4 hours ago, greento said:

Until I find your door, until the wind blows north, I'm running, I'm running, running into hurricanes

YO9E9iK.png

Another Hold The Girl single is out next. “Hurricanes” is a turbulent, loud pop-rock song about “self-sabotage and running into situations that aren’t good for you”. Rina said that she wanted the listener to feel like they were being driven or propelled throughout the song, like being in a hurricane. Drums are a very present instrument throughout the song, and they were a driving force in finding the perfect sound desired for the track. Personally, I feel like this and “Catch Me In The Air” are pretty similar in sound, but I prefer this one due to the slightly less cringey lyrics.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - greento

10 - 4Real

10 - NewStanner

10 - supaspaz

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Welp. The one truly great song from Rina’s album not even top thirty…

21 hours ago, TRF. said:

When the top 2 is No One Dies From Love and Imagining

ezgif.com-resize(3).thumb.gif.b743ca6ef9

and then you woke up

ezgif.com-resize(3).thumb.gif.b743ca6ef9

Not selfish girl out already :biblio:

• ATRL Moderator
43 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

This is not the madonnas I thought I knew. You and @Ewan Chaos are throwing me for a loop stanning “This Hell” while hating “Go Find Yourself or Whatever.”

My defense of this hell:

it’s easy to do y2k revival.  It’s hip and cool to do, it’s so over the top with its imagery and it’s sound that it just naturally comes off as cool.  It works in todays pop environment.  

The 2006-2011 pop scene (the inspiration for HTG) is so much harder to do.  How do you make Jesse McCartney and BTW era gaga cool? You can’t.  But Rina did the damn thing anyway, and I’ll always respect her sticking to her guns.

Suburbia and Your Age will be missed. Selfish Girl was cute too. I hope at least one of Rina's remaining songs makes top 10.

Just found out I completely missed this but I'll make sure to be there for the next reveals

Y'all are completely insane for booting This Hell, Used to Know Me, Your Age and Keep Away so early... I'm fine with the rest.

Really happy to see Turd Romance, Trash to Blame and Every Turd out :heart2: 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, greento said:

Do you think about star signs? 'Cause I think I saw Jupiter dive into the black sky

csRx5Du.png

The first of Carly Rae’s bonus tracks to leave is “No Thinking Over the Weekend”. This breezy, sultry track sees Carly relaxing and escaping reality as she enjoys the weekend with her lover. The song is very feel-good and the production helps transport the listener to a tropical beach location. @supaspaz says “Even Carly’s lesser tracks have their pleasures. The full orchestral sound of this ‘70s easy-listening callback is lovely.” and @Ewan Chaos says “Now this should have replaced Go Find Yourself or Whatever on the standard. A gorgeous track that is more adventurous for Carly and utilizes some seriously great real instruments.” However, @pavi does not appreciate the subdued nature of the song: “A snoozefest, sorry, not sorry”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - 4Real

10 - madonnas

10 - Quicksand

10 - gatito

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

This was one of my 11 contenders :biblio:

On 8/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, greento said:

Just one word from you and I'm all out of reasons, wakin' up, makin' up for the lost time

ll5Sm1U.png

We return to Carly’s album now, with “Keep Away” leaving at #34. The song is about Carly resisting temptation to return to an old relationship which left a strong impression on her. I love the production on this one, especially in the outro. The gradual breakdown and build-up that occurs here is heavenly and I feel like it is a very fitting closer to the deluxe album.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - GraceRandolph

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

None of the deluxe tracks should’ve been out before the top 10 :biblio:

Was meant to do more reveals on Thursday, but had some... technical difficulties :gaycat7:

Anyone here for 30 to 21 now?

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Here 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.