This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

[Outro]
Keep away, away, keep away, away
God, I miss your hands over my body
Keep away, away

VHCkdPY.gifVHCkdPY.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

Until I find your door, until the wind blows north, I'm running, I'm running, running into hurricanes

YO9E9iK.png

Another Hold The Girl single is out next. “Hurricanes” is a turbulent, loud pop-rock song about “self-sabotage and running into situations that aren’t good for you”. Rina said that she wanted the listener to feel like they were being driven or propelled throughout the song, like being in a hurricane. Drums are a very present instrument throughout the song, and they were a driving force in finding the perfect sound desired for the track. Personally, I feel like this and “Catch Me In The Air” are pretty similar in sound, but I prefer this one due to the slightly less cringey lyrics.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - greento

10 - 4Real

10 - NewStanner

10 - supaspaz

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

3 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

[Outro]
Keep away, away

VHCkdPY.gifVHCkdPY.gif

best outro of all time i fear :jonny5:

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised Charli's Baby is outlasting Selfish Girl, Twice, and Beg For You

2 minutes ago, greento said:

Until I find your door, until the wind blows north, I'm running, I'm running, running into hurricanes

YO9E9iK.png

Another Hold The Girl single is out next. “Hurricanes” is a turbulent, loud pop-rock song about “self-sabotage and running into situations that aren’t good for you”. Rina said that she wanted the listener to feel like they were being driven or propelled throughout the song, like being in a hurricane. Drums are a very present instrument throughout the song, and they were a driving force in finding the perfect sound desired for the track. Personally, I feel like this and “Catch Me In The Air” are pretty similar in sound, but I prefer this one due to the slightly less cringey lyrics.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - greento

10 - 4Real

10 - NewStanner

10 - supaspaz

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

So won't you give me a sign if you're really there?
'Cause I've been lost inside waiting on a prayer
Until I find your door, until the wind blows north
I'm running, I'm running, running into hurricanes
So won't you give me a ride? Be my getaway
I'm not the girl I tried to be yesterday
Until I find your door, until the wind blows north
I'm running, I'm running, running into hurricanes

7lAp.gif

• Like 1

I like Hurricanes more than even songs on HTG that are still in (legit shocked Act My Age or whatever it was called is still in, even if it's a good song). Though it's not a terrible song to already be out I guess.

1 minute ago, NewStanner said:

Anyone who gave the freaking Beach House a higher score deserves to be permabanned idc idc

giphy.gif

I'm probably gonna hurt your feelings.

Beach House is memorable at least, which is more than you can say about half of RiN/A’s album or some duds on Crash. 

• ATRL Moderator

No more rina elims plz.z

• ATRL Moderator
56 minutes ago, greento said:

Do you think about star signs? 'Cause I think I saw Jupiter dive into the black sky

nQXBwO3.png

The first of Carly Rae’s bonus tracks to leave is “No Thinking Over the Weekend”. This breezy, sultry track sees Carly relaxing and escaping reality as she enjoys the weekend with her lover. The song is very feel-good and the production helps transport the listener to a tropical beach location. @supaspaz says “Even Carly’s lesser tracks have their pleasures. The full orchestral sound of this ‘70s easy-listening callback is lovely.” and @Ewan Chaos says “Now this should have replaced Go Find Yourself or Whatever on the standard. A gorgeous track that is more adventurous for Carly and utilizes some seriously great real instruments.” However, @pavi does not appreciate the subdued nature of the song: “A snoozefest, sorry, not sorry”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - 4Real

10 - madonnas

10 - Quicksand

10 - gatito

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

Omg I missed this …. 

Not a secret, not a problem, not a symptom or cure

O4cnjAk.png

Sticking with Rina, the industrial, nu-metal inspired track “Your Age” leaves next. Critics have compared the songs sound with that of numerous rock bands, including Linkin Park and Nine Inch Nails. The song sees Sawayama trying to “process an early trauma” and it portrays her anger and disbelief at the adults that surrounded her at a young age. In an interview she stated "I think when you get older, you look back at certain things you've experienced and the way the adults handled it, and you kind of can't believe it." @supaspaz calls the song “A triumph of industrial-pop production.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Sanguine

10 - Supervillain

10 - pavi

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

• Confused 2

The Carly songs out this round have all been the ones I was indifferent towards so no real loss.

This Hell out a bit too soon, especially with some of the filler album tracks above it

6 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Omg I missed this …. 

seeing this made me realise i'd misspelled the title in the graphic, my OCD thanks you :allears:

7 minutes ago, greento said:

Not a secret, not a problem, not a symptom or cure

O4cnjAk.png

Sticking with Rina, the industrial, nu-metal inspired track “Your Age” leaves next. Critics have compared the songs sound with that of numerous rock bands, including Linkin Park and Nine Inch Nails. The song sees Sawayama trying to “process an early trauma” and it portrays her anger and disbelief at the adults that surrounded her at a young age. In an interview she stated "I think when you get older, you look back at certain things you've experienced and the way the adults handled it, and you kind of can't believe it." @supaspaz calls the song “A triumph of industrial-pop production.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Sanguine

10 - Supervillain

10 - pavi

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

This one deserved better. 

i should've given rina all the 10s instead of 9.5s 

giphy.gif

Held me back, tied me up inside a cage, had to change my life, 'cause I knew you'd stay the same

omyOvCW.png

For the last reveal of the day, we circle back to CRASH with the “Show Me Love” sampling house banger “Used to Know Me”. The sixth single of Charli’s fifth studio album describes the feeling of “liberation” she felt after breaking up with a partner. Some fans have interpreted the song as Charli’s final goodbye to her former record label Atlantic Records. CRASH was a significant moment in Charli’s career as it marked the fulfilment of the contract she signed at just sixteen. In this sense, the song can be viewed as a triumphant farewell and the beginning of a bright future for Charli’s career. @Virgos Groove didn’t appear to enjoy the sample on the track: “Petition to ban Show Me Love samples for the next decade.” @Rev8 said “hate that she promoted Amazon, but the song is a banger” and @Ewan Chaos stated “This one grew on me SOOOOOOOO much.” @pavi concluded “We love a mindless bop!! :-* ” 

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Supervillain

10 - 4Real

10 - creativity.

10 - madonnas

10 - Born to Run

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - BlackoutZone

1 - Sanguine

1 - NewStanner

0 - @Virgos Groove

• Confused 1

• ATRL Moderator

WHAT THE HELLLLLL????

she went to the Ava max school and was the valedictorian for that one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greento said:

Held me back, tied me up inside a cage, had to change my life, 'cause I knew you'd stay the same

omyOvCW.png

For the last reveal of the day, we circle back to CRASH with the “Show Me Love” sampling house banger “Used to Know Me”. The sixth single of Charli’s fifth studio album describes the feeling of “liberation” she felt after breaking up with a partner. Some fans have interpreted the song as Charli’s final goodbye to her former record label Atlantic Records. CRASH was a significant moment in Charli’s career as it marked the fulfilment of the contract she signed at just sixteen. In this sense, the song can be viewed as a triumphant farewell and the beginning of a bright future for Charli’s career. @Virgos Groove didn’t appear to enjoy the sample on the track: “Petition to ban Show Me Love samples for the next decade.” @Rev8 said “hate that she promoted Amazon, but the song is a banger” and @Ewan Chaos stated “This one grew on me SOOOOOOOO much.” @pavi concluded “We love a mindless bop!! :-* ” 

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Supervillain

10 - 4Real

10 - creativity.

10 - madonnas

10 - Born to Run

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - BlackoutZone

1 - Sanguine

1 - NewStanner

0 - @Virgos Groove

The amount of haters and lovers :deadbanana: not a 0 hfukngfv @Virgos Groove

• ATRL Moderator

I thought that UTKM would be top 10 :skull:

How the **** is Baby still in but UTKM is out? Y’all really have ZERO taste. 

Charli XCX - CRASH (8/16 remaining)

Crash

New Shapes (with Christine and the Queens & Caroline Polachek)

Good Ones

Constant Repeat

Beg for You (with Rina Sawayama)

Move Me

Baby

Lightning

Every Rule

Yuck

Used to Know Me

Twice

Selfish Girl

How Can I Not Know What I Need Right Now

Sorry if I Hurt You

What You Think About Me

Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl (4/13 remaining)

Minor Feelings

Hold The Girl

This Hell

Catch Me In The Air

Forgiveness

Holy (Til You Let Me Go)

Your Age

Imagining

Frankenstein

Hurricanes

Send My Love To John

Phantom

To Be Alive

Tove Lo - Dirt Femme (8/13 remaining)

No One Dies From Love

Suburbia

2 Die 4

True Romance

Grapefruit

Cute & Cruel (with First Aid Kit)

Call on Me (with SG Lewis)

Attention ***** (with Channel Tres)

Pineapple Slice (with SG Lewis)

I'm to Blame

Kick In The Head

How Long

Borderline

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time (10/16 remaining)

Surrender My Heart

Joshua Tree

Talking to Yourself

Far Away

Sideways

Beach House

Bends

Western Wind

So Nice

Bad Thing Twice

Shooting Star

Go Find Yourself or Whatever

The Loneliest Time (with Rufus Wainwright)

Anxious

No Thinking Over the Weekend

Keep Away

Not only 4 songs left from the best album. :clownny:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.