Pixar in Shambles | Elemental "Weak Opening" | 2nd Flop in a Row!?

Mrnoniee

Elemental looks awful so I'm not surprised

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Year of Shadow

• Lovett

• Specter

• AvadaKedavra

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw news P*xar will create some baseball show which of course has that ugly potato mouth animation style, just like that new movie they dropped a trailer for. 

I swear Disney is trying to kill them on purpose. 

Or maybe they really are just DUMB now that they fired all the OG 90's/2000's staff 

2 minutes ago, GentleEarthquake said:

Elemental looks awful so I'm not surprised

Audience reactions of the film are extremely positive.

No wonder Toy Story 5 getting greenlit :dies:

Also pandemic really killed Soul, Luca and Turning Red. Those films would've done great at the BO lbr

• ATRL Moderator

Fixed the title, because I’m not sure how you’re counting Oscar-winning/nominated titles released only on streaming as flops.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PoKiTaurus said:

I also saw news P*xar will create some baseball show which of course has that ugly potato mouth animation style, just like that new movie they dropped a trailer for. 

I swear Disney is trying to kill them on purpose. 

Disney know how to kill their own movies/brand when it doesn't suit their agenda. Strange World was also done dirty with their (lack of) promotions.

Edited by Rep2000

Pretty bad. Tho it is hard to launch an original movie tbh so it makes sense.

Not all of these were flops, but yes Disney is definitely tanking them (maybe on purpose).

They are the animated film OGs but they've been forced into making too many unnecessary sequels and rehashes by Disney, who also fired a ton of their talented staff. :shakeno:

31 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Audience reactions of the film are extremely positive.

!!!! I think maybe the films are just formulaic 

Turning Red and Soul are modern classics already. 

:clap3:

The rest though…

:gaycat7:

Puss in Boots 2 and the Spiderverse films have changed the realm of animation, and Disney needs to catch up. 

As much as I like Soul and Turning Red, Pixar movies need to shake up their visual palette a lot more. Right now it's just unique premises doing the heavy lifting, which sometimes is not enough. 

Edited by Phantom
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Puss in Boots 2 and the Spiderverse films have changed the realm of animation, and Disney needs to catch up. 

As much as I like Soul and Turning Red, Pixar movies need to shake up their visual palette a lot more. Right now it's just unique premises doing yje heavy lifting, which sometimes is not enough. 

I didn’t know puss in boots 2 was that good! I’ve been meaning to watch it 

also, the magic of the first Toy Story hasn’t been topped. I remember watching that movie and I was so immersed in the universe the movie created.

Streaming killed Disney/Pixar animation at the box office forever. Very few families are going to go through the hassle and expense of bringing their kids to the theatre to watch something they’ll be able to watch as much as they want for no additional cost a few months down the line. 

• Like 1

Give Luca its dues lol it was the most watched streaming movie of 2021, no? 

9 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Was honestly a bit embarrassed for Disney/Pixar coming out of Spiderverse 2...animation unlike anything mainstream western family audiences have seen, I just know Bob Iger was panicking in his seat. 

We're at the point where animation has reached a zenith re ability to approximate real life and the GP are finally opening up to expressive and stylistic animation over realism. The animation in Luca and Turning Red was gorgeous and expressive but I just don't know if there'll be box office juice from audiences for house-style CGI over the next decade...Elio looks lovely but I get the feeling it'll be another flop...Wish too, which looks like Disney have just thrown a tiktok filter over an already rendered movie. :bloo:

I loved Soul. Watched it during covid. It def got robbed due to the circumstances.

23 minutes ago, MotoPapi said:

I didn’t know puss in boots 2 was that good! I’ve been meaning to watch it

I can't stress this enough - it is incredible, and it making nearly $500 M WW is just a small testament to how good it is. You should definitely watch it, I prefer it to the Spiderverse films (at least the first one).

17 minutes ago, AdamL44 said:

Was honestly a bit embarrassed for Disney/Pixar coming out of Spiderverse 2...animation unlike anything mainstream western family audiences have seen, I just know Bob Iger was panicking in his seat. 

Literally! I only recently saw PiB2 and Spiderverse 2 and aghjdajh; I would be HEATED if I was in Disney because they've managed the complex, layered motifs - something which only modern Pixar is somewhat adept at - /with/ style, flair, and visual exuberance.

I honestly cannot see how anyone can enjoy Pixar films from a visual PoV...story wise, sure. But DreamWorks has always been punching above its weight and the almost creative nuclear explosion that is most directly traceable to Spiderverse and PiB2 is a train you do NOT want to miss catching.

2 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

The art style of turning red was really ugly. Glad it flopped. Encanto won. The characters of turning were so dumb and annoying too.....Watched some minutes and turned it off.

It didn’t flop since it was a Disney+ streaming exclusive, where it did smash. Maybe you just don’t understand like the Asian storyline. Also, the art style of Turning Red was very much in the similar vein as Up, Despicable Me, Minions, etc. 

11 minutes ago, fememeist said:

It didn’t flop since it was a Disney+ streaming exclusive, where it did smash. Maybe you just don’t understand like the Asian storyline. Also, the art style of Turning Red was very much in the similar vein as Up, Despicable Me, Minions, etc. 

I loved the asian storyline and im here for more disney-asian movies but i didnt like the artstyle.
When it comes to asian movies i prefer Raya. That one was so good
Im sad it flopped :emofish: maybe that one needed some songs like frozen-moana-encanto

Even with all of these unpopular opinion and different tastes.
These movies are everything  :gaycat4::heart: awww god bless animation
Hope Disney and Pixar are able to rebound :chick3:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

Elemental looked sooooo generic, I'm not at all surprised. Looking at their last six movies, I've only seen Soul, and while it was really good, it was missing just a little something more to really make it a masterpiece.

Pixar's latest character designs just don't hit like they used to. Soul had an old dude as the protagonist... like how did they think kids would connect with that? 

They haven't created memorable characters like Sully, Mike, Nemo, Woody, Buzz in a LOOONNNNGGGG time 

Edited by shinyshimmery

Soul was a minor hit as was Turning Red but some of you are delusional if you don’t think they’re flopping left and right. Perhaps because it’s been nearly a decade but Pixar movies used to be a cultural touchstone and none of these have been able to produce anything similar ever since Inside Out. It’s not like streaming makes it impossible for things to smash in the pandemic, just look at all the (low quality) hits Netflix was churning out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.