Updates - SCOTUS fake-out, won't deliver any major opinions for today (6/16)

Communion

https://twitter.com/StudentLoanTrav/status/1669425505249140737?s=20

It'll be out at 10 AM today or Thursday. :celestial5: 

FytWLeuXoAE1qd8?format=jpg&name=small

Because of the upcoming holiday, people are theorizing the student debt cases will be announced today and the decisions regarding affirmative action left until next week (SCOTUS killing affirmative action the weekend of Juneteenth would be a bit too on the nose) :

https://twitter.com/James_S_Murphy/status/1669524597367009282?s=20

Edited by Communion

Gulp

I already know they’re going to PHUCK us over

I’m prepared to stay in school forever :hippo:

1 hour ago, onapearl said:

They better not saddle us with back interest, istg...

I don’t think they can do that but they can (and most likely will) strike down the debt forgiveness plan.

1 hour ago, onapearl said:

They better not saddle us with back interest, istg...

I believe anything related to the actual pause was thrown out in lower courts. 

It's hard to.keep track cause there's been dozens of failed cases trying to derail the relief, but I believe the 2 cases that were heard were -

- Department of Education vs Brown, two individuals suing on the basis that they were harmed by the Biden admin not holding certain procedural commentary periods where the public could give their opinion on the proposed forgiveness program and were denied the ability to try and urge Biden to expand the program to include them. One has commercial loans so she's not eligible and one didn't get a Pell Grant so he only will get $10k in forgiveness. This is the weaker of the two cases as the result of their claim of harm is essentially to harm everyone else and deny everyone ANY forgiveness, including one of the plaintiffs set to get $10k forgiveness. 

- Biden vs Nebraska, a collection of right-wing state AGs suing on the claim that forgiveness would pose harm to their state. Some think the court could side with Biden in that recent decisions and oral discussions showed Barrett supporting the idea that states don't have standing to sue the federal government unless they can prove to be uniquely harmed in a way no other state is being. The only wrench is that one of the states is trying to also claim it represents MOHELA, a loan servicer that is managed by the state of Missouri (Biden just awarded them the largest loan processor contract this year...)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sazare said:

Looks like it’s not coming out today.

Them doing neither student debt or affirmative action. :deadbanana4: Makes me nervous they think their timing and decision would align with a mass negative backlash. 

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1669708196305412099?s=20

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.