White Starbucks Manager Fired Amid Furor Over Racism Wins $25 Million

TaggedGalaxy

In April 2018, two Black men entered a Starbucks shop in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood of Philadelphia for a business meeting with a white man who had not yet arrived. While they waited, and before ordering, one of the two asked to use the bathroom. He was refused. Eventually, they were asked to leave. When they did not, an employee called the police.

The subsequent arrests, captured in videos viewed millions of times online, prompted accusations of racism, protests and boycott threats. The company’s chief executive apologized publicly, describing the way the men had been treated as “reprehensible.” Starbucks took the extraordinary step of temporarily closing 8,000 stores to teach workers about racial bias.

On Monday, in a surprising twist, a federal jury in New Jersey ordered Starbucks to pay $25.6 million to a former regional manager after determining that the company had fired her amid the fallout from the Rittenhouse Square episode because she was white.

Source

:biblio:

Edited by TaggedGalaxy

… what the—

25 million ... WHAT?

Remember when conservatives where fuming about the lesbian couple suing the bakery store? I bet they are laughing their asses off and praising this.

Color me surprised.

This is America. Get money *****.

I am so confused tho, is this the same manager that called the cops? something isn’t adding up/missing 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Well I read the whole article and she was fired as a scapegoat to appease the community (she had nothing to do with the incident) while the black manager at the Starbucks store wasn't fired.

Good for her it's really Starbucks fault and the employees at that store.

https://qz.com/starbucks-was-ordered-to-pay-25-million-to-an-ex-manag-1850537751

Edited by ugo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, ugo said:

I can't really read the whole thing it's behind a paywall

Strange there’s no paywall for me, she was not the same manager but she refused to fire the offending manager

Ms. Phillips said she was fired not long after balking at the order to suspend the white manager. She said that she had not been previously told that she was doing a bad job and that the only explanation she was given for the firing was that “the situation is not recoverable.”

Here’s a non paywall article

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/starbucks-manager-fired-lawsuit-racism-b2357488.html

12 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

I am so confused tho, is this the same manager that called the cops? something isn’t adding up/missing 

At the time of the episode, Ms. Phillips oversaw about 100 stores in Philadelphia, South Jersey, Delaware and parts of Maryland. She had been promoted to the job in 2011 after what she called her “exemplary performance” in six years as a district manager in Ohio.

Ms. Phillips said in the suit that Starbucks, as part of its damage-control effort after the arrests, had sought to punish her and other white employees in and around Philadelphia even if they had not been involved in the events that led to the police being called.

Ms. Phillips said she had thrown herself into the company’s efforts to restore its credibility and had sought to support hourly workers, organizing managers to staff stores and cover for employees who were scared to run a gantlet of protesters.

Amid the image-burnishing campaign, Ms. Phillips said one of her superiors, a Black woman, told her to suspend a white manager who oversaw stores in Philadelphia, though not the one in Rittenhouse Square, because of allegations that he had engaged in discriminatory conduct — allegations that Ms. Phillips said she knew to be untrue.

In contrast, Ms. Phillips said, no action was taken against the manager who oversaw the Rittenhouse Square store, a Black man who Ms. Phillips said had promoted the employee who called the police.

So the white regional manager woman tried very hard to repair Starbucks's image by re-training staff. Starbucks wanted to punish white employees in the Philly area. White woman's superior, a black woman wanted her to suspend a white manager who was accused of discriminatory conduct which turned out to be false.

And the Rittenhouse Sq manager was a black man who promoted the employee (not sure of ethnicity) who called the police on the two black men.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, XAMJ said:

yt privileges lol

She's the victim. She was trying to help the company repair its image and got fired even tho she did a great job. She was collateral damage and a scape goat. The manager of Rittenhouse Sq was a black man who promoted the employee who called the police on the two black men.

Honestly....both the Rittenhouse Sq manager and employee should've lost their jobs.

27 minutes ago, ugo said:

Well I read the whole article and she was fired as a scapegoat to appease the community (she had nothing to do with the incident) while the black manager at the Starbucks store wasn't fired.

https://qz.com/starbucks-was-ordered-to-pay-25-million-to-an-ex-manag-1850537751

The way everybody in this thread immediately started trashing the white person for being white. A lot of the people here are hopelessly brainwashed by online identity politics.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, BadHabits said:

So the white regional manager woman tried very hard to repair Starbucks's image by re-training staff. Starbucks wanted to punish white employees in the Philly area. White woman's superior, a black woman wanted her to suspend a white manager who was accused of discriminatory conduct which turned out to be false.

And the Rittenhouse Sq manager was a black man who promoted the employee (not sure of ethnicity) who called the police on the two black men.

This whole story is so odd

50 minutes ago, ugo said:

Why did you downvote my post you weirdo? I literally asked what I was missing :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

44 minutes ago, BadHabits said:

Thank you for providing the rest! :heart2:I knew something had to be missing. 

Thank y'all for adding more context cause I was about to log out

Context really is dead

We are in hell.

we = black people and most other oppressed groups 

hell = yt supremacy/Christonationalist heaven 

EDIT: dang checked up on the details, comment still stands not shocked scapegoating for a corporation was involved  

Edited by Chiidish

:bird: get money *****

I love to see big corporations / celebs crumble for doing performative activism 

2 hours ago, BadHabits said:

She's the victim. She was trying to help the company repair its image and got fired even tho she did a great job. She was collateral damage and a scape goat. The manager of Rittenhouse Sq was a black man who promoted the employee who called the police on the two black men.

Honestly....both the Rittenhouse Sq manager and employee should've lost their jobs.

okay this makes more sense what a crazy story tho :lakitu:

White excellence! Get that bag :clap:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.