White House bans trans activist for topless photo at Pride event

nadiamendell

The White House said a transgender model would be banned from future events due to photos and videos that show her topless on the South Lawn during an LGBTQ Pride month celebration on Saturday.

Rose Montoya, a trans model and activist, was among hundreds invited by the Biden administration to mark Pride Month, which is observed every June. 

Montoya shared a video from the event on Instagram that features a clip of her standing in front of the White House topless and covering her nipples with her hands. 

Right-wing media shared screenshots from Montoya’s video, with commentators and media personalities calling her actions “disrespectful.” Many of Montoya’s critics misgendered her by referring to her with male pronouns and called her anti-trans slurs.

A White House spokesperson said Tuesday that Montoya and the other people featured in her video would be banned from future events organized there.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/white-house-bans-trans-activist-topless-photo-pride-event-rcna89116

UPDATE 06/16: She has apologized (Thanks @Espresso):

rose-montoya-twitter-1536x830.jpg

Transgender social activist Rose Montoya issued an apology on social media for going topless at the White House over the weekend during a celebration for Pride Month.

The influencer posted a video to social media on Monday which showed Montoya partying at an all-ages White House Pride party after meeting President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden.

The video depicts Montoya, known online for activism and acting career, exposing and shaking her breast with fellow party-goers on the White House lawn in front of the Truman Balcony as a voice shouts in the background, “Are we topless at the White House?”

Conservatives on Twitter were enraged as the video went viral with some accusing the Biden administration of disrespecting the White House grounds and creating an inappropriate environment for children. After the video’s release, a White House spokesperson on Tuesday condemned Montoya for flashing her breasts and noted she would not be invited back for future events.

“This behavior is inappropriate and disrespectful for any event at the White House,” the White house statement said. “It is not reflective of the event we hosted to celebrate LGBTQI+ families or the other hundreds of guests who were in attendance. Individuals in the video will not be invited to future events.”

However, Montoya on Friday afternoon issued a statement via a Twitter video apologizing to the LGBTQ+ community and the White House for taking her top off over the weekend:

In a quick moment of fleeting and overwhelming trans joy, I decided to do something unbecoming of the guest of the president at the White House law celebration…I want to take this moment to apologize for the impact of my actions. I especially want to apologize to my black trans brothers and siblings, especially transgender women who are black. Because I understand that you all are constantly at a disproportionate level, impacted by the actions of others, and especially by anti-trans violence.

Montoya added, “I would also like to apologize to my family and friends who have been harassed. I would also like to apologize to my own community. And last but not least, I would like to apologize to the president, the White House, and the nation. It was also never my intention to create a situation that would lead to harassment and harm of myself and others, nor for trans joy like my little moment of trans joy to be weaponized by vile people of the opposition.” X

Edited by nadiamendell
  • Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClashAndBurn

• Bears01

• AMIT

• Communion

Good. Wtf you're at the white house :clown:

• Like 2

This is embarrassing. Out of all the places to pull your **** out, why the white house? *****, imagine how lucky you are to be able to step foot into such a historic place as it is the white house and be able to celebrate who you are just for you to get naked in a public space. That ain't highland avenue. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There's a time an place to have your **** out and the white house is not it Nene Leakes Sassy GIF - Nene Leakes Sassy Mmhmm GIFs

• Like 2

Yeah this was a little trifling. There’s a time and a place! Why are you exposing your breasts at the damn White House? The maturity and foresight are just in the basement. 

If Trump were still in the White House and she were being banned for a topless protest: "omg wtf this is authoritarian, IMPEACH the motherfucker"

But since it's Biden, I guess ATRL is full of puritans screaming their heads off about how kink at pride is degeneracy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 25

Funny how the conservatives on twitter are furious about this, but if she's a "man" in their own narrative, then why are they so worked up over a trans woman showing her "man" breasts and not the trans man by her side showing his pecs who in their own fantasy is nothing else but an actual woman? Looks like the anti-trans movement is reeked in sexism. The exact same reason why TERFs are just fighting a battle that will later be turned against themselves.

But no, it's not appropriate to do this and the ban is well justified

• Like 5

Pretty sad how classless society has gotten. If this was just 10 years ago it’d be a national uproar ala Janet Jackson :toofunny3:

Well deserved ban.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

If Trump were still in the White House and she were being banned for a topless protest: "omg wtf this is authoritarian, IMPEACH the motherfucker"

But since it's Biden, I guess ATRL is full of puritans screaming their heads off about how kink at pride is degeneracy.

There's too many fires to put out to waste time on this hypothetical because Trump didn't allow trans activists at his pride celebrations.

Unless I missed something and I'm happy to be corrected - I don't think Blaire White, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. attended any.

If you want to make a point about double standards, just speaking for myself, I think a lot of nudists would have a huge problem with linking a topless woman, trans or cis, to an argument that's pro-kink, and I'd question the utility of doing this at this event specifically they were invited to. 

• Like 2

In the words of Professor Oak, "There's a time and place for everything, but not now."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Pretty sad how classless society has gotten. If this was just 10 years ago it’d be a national uproar ala Janet Jackson :toofunny3:

Well deserved ban.

If this were 10 years ago, they'd be killed for being trans in public. :rip: 

9 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Well firstly, Trump would not be having a Pride event at the White House so this argument falls flat.

8 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

Funny how the conservatives on twitter are furious about this, but if she's a "man" in their own narrative, then why are they so worked up over a trans woman showing her "man" breasts and not the trans man by her side showing his pecs who in their own fantasy is nothing else but an actual woman? Looks like the anti-trans movement is reeked in sexism. The exact same reason why TERFs are just fighting a battle that will later be turned against themselves.

But no, it's not appropriate to do this and the ban is well justified

Oops. But you can not expect conservatives to be self-aware.

---

Considering what is going on nowadays, she should not have done that and she put her own desire for attention above the safety of others. Gross, immature, and inappropriate. 

• Like 3

but how are conservatives mad at this? according to them she's male right? so what's the issue with her showing her breasts then? :mandown:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

There's too many fires to put out to waste time on this hypothetical because Trump didn't allow trans activists at his pride celebrations.

Unless I missed something and I'm happy to be corrected - I don't think Blaire White, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. attended any.

If you want to make a point about double standards, just speaking for myself, I think a lot of nudists would have a huge problem with linking a topless woman, trans or cis, to an argument that's pro-kink, and I'd question the utility of doing this at this event specifically they were invited to. 

Wasn't claiming that this was pro-kink. The argument is that ATRL Democrat posters are contextually conservative when it comes to the dignity and decorum of the White House depending on whomever occupies it.

Furthermore, I wouldn't argue that Trump would have had his trans anti-activist entourage like White and Jenner as guests either, but if THIS individual had been at the White House and did a bra burning in protest of his administration, they'd be celebrated as a heroine for standing up to "Mango Mussolini" instead of the accusation of denigrating our hallowed halls of flawless Democrat-run American government.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Wasn't claiming that this was pro-kink. The argument is that ATRL Democrat posters are contextually conservative when it comes to the dignity and decorum of the White House depending on whomever occupies it.

Furthermore, I wouldn't argue that Trump would have had his trans anti-activist entourage like White and Jenner as guests either, but if THIS individual had been at the White House and did a bra burning in protest of his administration, they'd be celebrated as a heroine for standing up to "Mango Mussolini" instead of the accusation of denigrating our hallowed halls of flawless Democrat-run American government.

Fine I guess. For me it comes down to context. When I think of topless female protestors the stereotype is of those with face paint in France or Poland.

This did not come off as a protest to me, but Girls Gone Wild :rip: I'm not dictating what protest should look like, but if you're going to protest, there's degrees of productivity and utility. I guess this is getting press, but the purpose is lost if it was in fact a protest in the first place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

I don’t think that’s the case at all. It’s a contextual thing.

Your average protest? Yeah, go girl, get those things out. Show em who’s boss!

An already scrutinized Pride event with a chance to be seen as maybe somewhat human by conservatives? No. Put them away and have some respect for your community. You’re only making it harder on them. 

• Like 2

When will minority activists understand the importance of good optics?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

**** "good optics." Y'all are just pandering to conservative talking points based on internalized homophobia. :rip:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Not surprised you guys are agreeing with this smh… 🙄  

girl take ur top off who cares, suddenly she’s woman enough for that to be inappropriate but at the same time transphobes will still misgender her? and call her a man? the false outrage. 

• Like 1

• ATRL Administrator
37 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Jesus fucking Christ. Go outside please. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.