Reddit CEO "Blackout means nothing and will pass" - growing subreddits go indefinite

Gwendolyn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The7thStranger

• Gwendolyn

• Miss Fortune

• GentleDance

lol i saw a post saying the same thing would happen

i wonder if this will get nationwide attention 

4 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

image.png

Pathetic

Still cackling at that flaming trainwreck of an AMA, the Apollo dev providing receipt after receipt, the CEO being downvoted to oblivion and forced to add himself karma :bibliahh:

13 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

It seems to have worked, r/popular is a graveyard with one reddit spamming about the API Blackout and everything on my homepage outside like 3? reddits have been silent. 

i hope so, cause some of the big ones are still on like leagueoflegends, netflixbest off movies, entertainment are still on, and the ones that's been around forever are also on. Its almost like they want some off them to dissolve.

I feel like every other week there's some huge drama either with Reddit that makes users swear up and down that the site's gonna die because of it, and it never does. It's hard to take this blackout serious as a means of protest when a lot of people are still using the subs that are open :michael:

23 minutes ago, playboi said:

I don't understand why they closed but I can't browse my fav subreddit anymore so i'm team CEO

You shouldn't be. They are monetizing their API by charging third-party developers an unrealistic amount. They are doing this out of spite and to force user traffic to come in through their official app (which was a third-party app they bought and then neglected), which exposes users to more telemetry and tracking. Also, even if a developer can somehow afford their outrageous API pricing structure, anything deemed NSFW (including things that are not p*rn) will be excluded from said API. In other words, those third party apps will not be able to display or even access that content.

This is not being done for security reasons. It is strictly to punish developers, crush their competition, and harm users to harvest more data. The CEO also was caught lying about one particularly prominent third party developer. He's lost the support of his core community and the mods who do all of his dirty work for free.

2 minutes ago, CHL0RINE said:

I feel like every other week there's some huge drama either with Reddit that makes users swear up and down that the site's gonna die because of it, and it never does. It's hard to take this blackout serious as a means of protest when a lot of people are still using the subs that are open :michael:

I wonder about this, though. It feels like Digg all over again.

But I do hope there is a positive outcome. The internet has shifted from focus on the user to focus on influencers, brands, and ads. Reddit was one of the very holdouts, and only because of its community.

Edited by The7thStranger

17 minutes ago, GentleDance said:

Pathetic

Still cackling at that flaming trainwreck of an AMA, the Apollo dev providing receipt after receipt, the CEO being downvoted to oblivion and forced to add himself karma :bibliahh:

Truly one of Reddit's finest moments. Their Credit Card Girl tbh.

Can someone explain a guy with no tech knowledge why are thry protesting against the new rules? 

Reddit is falling apart rn. All because they wanted even more money :bibliahh:

1 minute ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Can someone explain a guy with no tech knowledge why are thry protesting against the new rules? 

The new rules are designed to punish and destroy the creators of several very popular Reddit apps. This is because Reddit wants to force all traffic to enter the site through its own app or the website in order to expose users to more data tracking. The tricky part for Reddit is that a large portion of its dedicated user base do indeed use these apps. In rendering these apps defunct, Reddit is sticking the middle finger to its users and its mod team (who works for free).

This change is also predicted to break several scripts that prevent the dissemination of false information and harmful material.

The other part of this protest is over the CEO's attitude. He has also been caught lying to the community.

• Like 2

Strikes never work and I wish people realized that. The people in charge don't care. Do something else.

YyLLfdW.gif

I think it was a mistake to announce that the protest will only last a short period of time. It should have been indefinite from the start if they were aiming to achieve something with it

So annoying, I was finally getting a hit post on reddit and now they have to shut it down... :gaycat6:

Edited by Duanielipa
Typo
  • Thumbs Down 1

Well I hope they come back so the redditors can stay in their cave and not disperse.

34 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

the way I understand it is that people use third party apps to access reddit, which is basically like using adblock. reddit is losing money from that.

*someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was unfairly permanently suspended from Reddit so they deserve to rot

looren.thumb.gif.8967db17a7bab202c6bc2e1

For those who don’t understand what’s happening:

29 minutes ago, samsclubPRESENTSavam said:

the way I understand it is that people use third party apps to access reddit, which is basically like using adblock. reddit is losing money from that.

*someone correct me if I'm wrong.

shutting down 3rd party acces will shut down reddit bots used in moderation of subs, they're useful for plagiarism, fact cheking and combating misinformation... 

the official app is painfully slow and unoptimized with terrible accessibility options, it's not accessible for blind people, and these are not new issues, blind and visually impaired users have relied on third-party apps for years

Edited by GentleDance

Hoping every sub agrees to go the indefinite route until the fools in power back down. :clap3:

Do people really care that much about what app they use? I'm not one for sticking up for capitalist companies, but it is kind of understandable that they want control of their platform. It's not like there are multiple apps for Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat etc. It's one service, one app

i mean yeah

the fact that this was ever a 2 day blackout was silly. That's not gonna accomplish anything

9 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Do people really care that much about what app they use? I'm not one for sticking up for capitalist companies, but it is kind of understandable that they want control of their platform. It's not like there are multiple apps for Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat etc. It's one service, one app

The issue is that their own service doesn’t allow moderators to do their job, it’s inaccessible for disabled users among many other things 

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.