Your studying/living abroad experience - was it good/bad?

Specter

So, it seems very likely that I will be moving to a country far away in September this year. I do not want to get into the specifics of where & what, but it's for continuing my education.

I wanted to ask folks that have left their own country to study/work a few questions. But before that, I wanna give some context. Or, you can skip this bit. Questions are below regardless!

I had to pick between two countries primarily, and I got into Top 3 institutes across both countries (and one institute ranks in the Top 10 globally, the other Top 20/5). I am not mentioning this in any way to brag, but for context about FINANCES. I chose Country A because though expensive, it was still ""moderate"" compared to Country B. Also, Country B has been passing AWFUL anti-immigration laws back to back recently, and that combined with money is :biblio:

I'm fortunate enough that I could skirt taking a loan (for now). There was ONE asset the family had, and my only solace is that it was given to my family more than a decade ago by my (dying) grandfather, who had set it aside for education. I say solace because my parents are old, but at least they did not save it, penny by penny (that would have made me feel worse). But I will perpetually feel like they could have done so much more for themselves than spend on me - I have never owed someone so much money but them.

Also, this is just for this year. In the second year and beyond (and hell even in this year), I will be working to save and support myself for there is no significant money in the family left; just for medical emergencies (for my parents. But even that is precarious.) And if jobs are a struggle/inadequate - loan time.

[I would mention the amount(s) but I don't want to get dragged because I have seen so many Americans with so much more debt on this forum, and so I don't want to make it seem like I'm trivializing that struggle by talking about a relatively decent amount with this much duress.]

So with all that said:

-Where did you go from, and to where? (You can also skip answering this since I am not)

-Was it for studying or working?

-What was your financial situation like?

-Did it become better/worse?

-Did you enjoy it?

-Did the experience change you? If so, how?

-Do you think it's "worth" it?

-Would you take the same decision again, now? (if you could).

And to those that have not studied or lived outside of their home country, what are your own thoughts on this? All perspectives welcome!

When you grow up in the Global South, going abroad is treated like it is supposed to be the pinnacle of your life (part of it has to do with elitism perpetuated by Global North countries). But as a very left-leaning person that keeps up with student debt issues, I have seen SO many stories of decade-long financial stress that I just feel...very anxious, because I do definitely think I am also going to have to go into debt now - I just got myself a small window. I feel like I am too jaded with the true material realities of shifting like this to buy into the "social mobility" and "you can be anyone you want!" type of optimistic-naïve outlook. What if I am still the same troubled person, just worse off financially and in a country I do not know?

Ngl I'm still kinda excited, but I have severe personal issues (esp. with mental health - think to maximum intent) and as the time grows nearer, I get more and more anxious. I do not think I'll be able to afford therapy there for a while, but let's see...

Edited by Phantom

I went to Budapest for erasmus. It was the best year of my life. I made so many friends. I travelled all over europe. I partied a lot. I f*cked so many guys. It totally changed my perspective of life. I’d do anything to repeat the experience tbh.

Where did you go from, and to where? 

UK -> Australia

-Was it for studying or working?

Working 

-What was your financial situation like?

I had some savings which was necessary as it took a while to find an apartment (the Australian housing market is ******).

-Did it become better/worse?

The quality of life is much better here overall. There’s lots to do, it’s very safe, the weather is better (although I live in Melbourne which can be erratic) and salaries are much better while the cost of living is lower. It can be lonely especially because it is so far but it’s an extremely diverse city so there’s other people in the same boat. If you go abroad for uni, it will be easy to make friends. Naturally every place will have downsides too (for example, you’re very isolated here and even travelling within the country is difficult because it’s basically a continent).

-Did you enjoy it?

I’m still here and enjoying it, even considering extending my visa. 

-Did the experience change you? If so, how?

I think it makes you grow as a person and widens your perspective. If you’re privileged enough to be able to travel then it will definitely help you grow as a person.

-Do you think it's "worth" it?

Yes.

-Would you take the same decision again, now? 

I would probably have prepared more as I just got a working holiday visa and rocked up. I didn’t realise how severe the house market was so it took me a while to find a place. Finding a job was easy for me as my job is very in demand but I know for others it was difficult.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

I went to Budapest for erasmus. It was the best year of my life. I made so many friends. I travelled all over europe. I partied a lot. I f*cked so many guys. It totally changed my perspective of life. I’d do anything to repeat the experience tbh.

I was literally thinking to go to Budapest for erasmus next year help

48 minutes ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Go for it. There isn’t a better place for erasmus than Budapest. If you have any question feel free to dm me.

I wish something like Erasmus existed here :chick3:

You should always take any and every opportunity to travel abroad.

Edited by Archetype

I lived in China for 18 months and loved it a lot. It was difficult at first, but a lot of the places in more touristy areas cater to English speakers so it is not impossible to get by.

• Like 1

It's good because I pass as a white person :giraffe:  So i have almost limitless privileges

5 hours ago, Archetype said:

You should always take any and every opportunity to travel abroad.

Sis, why did you edit the block out :/

I was about to read it in full...

I’m British and studied/worked in Spanish for a year during my degree. I did a degree in Spanish so it was easier but the culture was perfect. Laid back and fun. I enjoyed learning new things and more about myself. I was only 20 so it was nerve wracking but I had a good support system and had the best time.

I’ve lived in Japan for a year and a half now and it’s changed me for the better. The culture is immensely different to that of my home country (unlike Spain which was just a different slice of Europe) and the hardest parts are struggling w Japanese being so difficult and not being able to show my true self in public sometimes due to cultural differences. 

I couldn’t recommend going abroad enough. It’s scary but it really shows you who you really are and how you approach situations out of your comfort zone. It’s not for everyone but if you’re open minded and roll with the punches you’ll love it. I’ve made a **** of myself daily here in Japan since arriving due to not knowing how to act/speak or what to do in certain situations but it’s helped me understand another perspective and made me more resilient and confident.

Also as far as finances go, I share with my boyfriend and we both work so it’s less bad but I am a firm believer that I could die tomorrow and I’m not going to have time to be sad about not putting down a mortgage on a house. But that’s just me. live it up!!

Edited by Doogle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

A huge amount of foreigners come to us each year for educational purposes and most of the time they enjoy it a lot (it's always nice to hear what a good time they have :heart2: ) , the city is well-constructed and there are a lot of hot guys to choose from.

QBdZpDm.gif

13 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

A huge amount of foreigners come to us each year for educational purposes and most of the time they enjoy it a lot (it's always nice to hear what a good time they have :heart2: ) , the city is well-constructed and there are a lot of hot guys to choose from.

QBdZpDm.gif

You're from there? Maybe we can meet and you can show me around etc then, could be fun :heart: Not confirmed yet though i'll probably visit this post again if i'm going

1 hour ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

You're from there? Maybe we can meet and you can show me around etc then, could be fun :heart: Not confirmed yet though i'll probably visit this post again if i'm going

Sure thing :celestial2:

Edited by AbeHicks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.