Why are some songs so big without ever charting

smartalek22

Example being most of the Cry Baby era by Melanie Martinez, is there a reason for this cuz idgi..

Im sure there more examples of this too

Cult classics!

My Neck, My Back by Khia wasn’t event a top 10 hit. But damn near everyone knows that song. 

Charts are rigged to a certain extent because you need radio to chart, and to play on radio you need label support/payola/money. So some acts don’t really have this, but people are still listening and aware of the song. 

On 6/11/2023 at 1:53 AM, The Music Industry said:

Now sis :redface:

Aren't the songs from that album 3X Platinum eligible though

Cry Baby is definitely a hit era, idk what people in this thread are talking about... 

I think people focus so much on peak positions and not on chart runs... Some songs/albums are stable getting plays all year round and they end up being bigger sellers than some #1s.

Why is this forum the only place I ever hear about this Melanie Martiniz girl? Is she some local star in the US?

because most art and bops don't chart!

Allday charted in the Triple J Hottest 100 most years but never actually charted on the main chart! 

it really depends on there labels. 

Radio has always been a chart gate-keeper sadly.

They won't play certain topics and would have never supporter Kill Bill if it was not for the power of streaming makin it very awkward for top40 radio to ignore it.

But people would still buy and nowadays they can stream.

Also chart rules:

In most of the 2000s, Chart points were 99% dependent on radio in the US as singles were dead, & itunes and streaming did not come until later in the decade.

In the 90s, even if a single was #1 on radio, it would not chart unless it was released as a single: ie Lauryn Hill's Doo *** (That Thing)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.