The Little Mermaid was a gay allegory

Da Vinci

Edmund_Dulac_-_The_Mermaid_-_The_Prince.jpg

"In Andersen's original fairy tale, the mermaid still falls in love with a human prince and barters her voice for legs, but it comes with a much more painful price. If she doesn't get the prince to return her feelings and fall in love with her, she must die a mermaid's death and turn into sea foam. She accepts this trade even though she ultimately receives an unhappy ending, with the prince marrying a princess from a neighboring kingdom.

There's been much speculation about the meaning behind the story, but one particular take on it seems to have been widely accepted as truth. This interpretation claims that "The Little Mermaid" is actually a queer allegory and was a love letter written by Andersen to his close friend, Edvard Collin, whom he was in love with. Andersen had written several letters and poems to Collin throughout their friendship, and much of his writing declared deep romantic feelings for the other man, expressing that his emotions were like those of a woman's. Andersen was rejected, however, and "The Little Mermaid" was written the same year that Collin announced his engagement to a woman."

https://www.cbr.com/hans-christian-andersen-gay-allegory-little-mermaid-disney/

Just a random article I found today and since it's Pride Month I thought I'd share it.

TLM has always been one of THE fairy tales the gays could relate to and all the pining and unrequited love that the mermaid felt and wanting to be a human could be a metaphor for wanting to be seen as "normal" by a heteronormative society or their unrequited love. :'(

• Like 1

Still is :giraffe:

I believe Howard Benson composed (some of) the soundtrack, who was gay. 

He also did Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast before his death in iirc 1991 :bird:

25 minutes ago, Vixen Eyes said:

I believe Howard Benson composed (some of) the soundtrack, who was gay. 

He also did Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast before his death in iirc 1991 :bird:

I think his name was Howard Ashman but yes, he worked a lot on The Little Mermaid. He was also influential in the design of Ursula. There‘s a great documentary about his life on Disney+!
So yeah, even without knowing the backstory of Hans Christian Andersen, the movie adaptation is heavily influenced by LGBTQ-culture.

Would it kill them to write gay allegory instead of queer allegory? :rip:

Watch Harry styles get the titular role of this adaption 

1 hour ago, Horizon Flame said:

Would it kill them to write gay allegory instead of queer allegory? :rip:

Well he wasn’t gay but bisexual (allegedly) so queer is more fitting.

1 hour ago, magicfever said:

I think his name was Howard Ashman but yes, he worked a lot on The Little Mermaid. He was also influential in the design of Ursula. There‘s a great documentary about his life on Disney+!
So yeah, even without knowing the backstory of Hans Christian Andersen, the movie adaptation is heavily influenced by LGBTQ-culture.

yes - Howard Ashman ;fs;larg egffvlsgae

I was also thinking of Alan Menken and i think thats how i came up with Benson AL dulk gkzy

Stream Mermaids while you're at it :cm:

19 minutes ago, Vixen Eyes said:

yes - Howard Ashman ;fs;larg egffvlsgae

I was also thinking of Alan Menken and i think thats how i came up with Benson AL dulk gkzy

Yeah he def took from his own experience to write the songs, Part of your world should def be considered a classic coming-out song. The documentary (as well as the excellent non-Disney produced Waking Sleeping Beauty) touches on that a lot. It's very moving.

barbiegrande

It always felt trans coded to me. The idea of being trapped in a physical form you didn’t ask for and wanting to live your authentic self, which might not be what you were born as. 

Makes sense if it was a gay allegory 

Edited by barbiegrande
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, barbiegrande said:

It always felt trans coded to me. The idea of being trapped in a physical form you didn’t ask for and wanting to live your authentic self, which might not be what you were born as. 

Wow that's a pretty cool take

So now we can blame homophobia for it's underperformance :giraffe:

are you discovering that just now?

Also Ursula being inspired by drag qqueens

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.