Supreme Court pulls a surprise move and protects the Voting Rights Act

Bears01

5 minutes ago, Sazare said:

:clap3: 

Ms. Kavanaugh of all people pulling through. :rip:

He’s still awful, but if there’s anybody I see trying to emulate Roberts weird switch to being a “swingy vote”, it’d be him. 

Thomas and Alito have a firm seat in hell reserved for them 

I'm already seeing analysis that Roberts still plans to curtail Section 2 of the VRA further in the future and cite other legal reasoning for taking the opposite approach to this in other redistricting cases, so I can't celebrate this. 

3 minutes ago, Espresso said:

I'm already seeing analysis that Roberts still plans to curtail Section 2 of the VRA further in the future and cite other legal reasoning for taking the opposite approach to this in other redistricting cases, so I can't celebrate this. 

We’ll worry about that when we get there, for now, this kind of shows that political pressure is getting to them. This might be what wins democrats the House in 24 though 

3 minutes ago, magazine said:

What does this mean?

Here, this sums it up better than I can: https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1666819545150144519?s=46&t=F2Kqdy7aScoPGAKFHNr8dQ

Basically several southern states drew maps that were racist and silenced black voters violating section 2 of the VRA. This ruling puts them back in their place 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bears01 said:

Thomas and Alito have a firm seat in hell reserved for them 

Alto is indeed trash, but he likes to save face and not show his true colors... Until he does. As for Thomas... At least he's transparent about the trashiness.

3 hours ago, Bears01 said:

@Espresso Thomas dissent being 50 PAGES. He is PISSED 

Yeah I saw that. Whatever, expected. 

Thomas' dissent :deadbanana4: I hate this dumb c**n

50 pages from Thomas??? Him and his wife are horrible.

shgdfgh the way Thomas is just AWFUL on all fronts :deadbanana4:

Just to be clear, this was in regards to how Alabama restructured their map. It has very little to do with the Voting Rights Act itself.

It was so blatantly racist and awful that the Court itself had to say "**** no!".

On 6/8/2023 at 11:31 AM, Bears01 said:

@Espresso Thomas dissent being 50 PAGES. He is PISSED 

The fact that the bipartisan consensus in Congress over his bribes was that there was no appetite to impeach him. :deadbanana4:

19 minutes ago, Communion said:

The fact that the bipartisan consensus in Congress over his bribes was that there was no appetite to impeach him. :deadbanana4:

To be fair: he never should have been on the bench in the first place. A dem controlled senate put him there, and did so when there was still a filibuster needed for judges and he got 52 votes…..

24 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

To be fair: he never should have been on the bench in the first place. A dem controlled senate put him there, and did so when there was still a filibuster needed for judges and he got 52 votes…..

joe-biden-clarence-thomas.webp?w=790&f=a

History, she's sick and twisted. :deadbanana4:

30 minutes ago, Communion said:

joe-biden-clarence-thomas.webp?w=790&f=a

History, she's sick and twisted. :deadbanana4:

To be fair, Biden did vote against his confirmation https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas_Supreme_Court_nomination#:~:text=longer worked together.-,Confirmation vote by full Senate,voted to reject his nomination.

But as chairman of the judiciary committee at the time (I believe) he should have blocked the nomination from even happening 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.