Gallup: Support for same-sex marriage in US at 71% all-time high

Jotham

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

It'll go down if the Supreme Court ever revoke the Obergefell decision, given time. What people tend to accept is the status quo, and after awhile, the post-Obergefell reality will become the new status quo. Eventually the energy around abortion support will also run out and cease to carry Democrats and their otherwise empty electoral futures.

But the support for same-sex marriage was going up slowly but surely long before Obergefell. You can see the graph here https://news.gallup.com/poll/506636/sex-marriage-support-holds-high.aspx. And there's also a chart later in the article that shows how much of a gap there is between GOP voters and independents on this issue. Maybe more than in any other issue. 30 points difference. I don't wanna get into the election prospects, but if independents decide elections, this is where they are particularly close to Dems. And there's also massive difference between young and old people on how they view this issue. 89% for ages 18-29. That's nearly generational consensus.

The abortion polls over the years look much more stagnant. It's not moving much, except very recently with more pro-choice movement. https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx. So it can't be just about settling for the status quo, or whatever law is in place. There seems to be something more controversial about abortion than gay marriage for the public. That's why it could remain a wedge issue in politics.

So I think these two issues are very different. And maybe just the fact that so many men benefit from gay marriage, or gay sex being legal in general, makes its support more permanent. You can see it in world history that if (white) rich and powerful men like something it's gonna stay. And there never was any real moral argument against gay marriage. People just opposed it because they had read it in the bible. But as people have become more secular that argument has become trivial. But abortion is not so cut and dry as an issue, at least not for the general public. You are dealing with life and death there, and all kinds of emotions about whether to keep the baby or not. Marriage rights is a much more fun topic and easier to rally behind.

I want more. I want the complete domination. Who run the world ? Us gays !

hottie-schatar.gif

Edited by MoonGoodandHappy

Republicans (49%) and weekly churchgoers (41%)

That's actually kind of incredible.:eek:

6 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

It'll go down if the Supreme Court ever revoke the Obergefell decision, given time. What people tend to accept is the status quo, and after awhile, the post-Obergefell reality will become the new status quo. Eventually the energy around abortion support will also run out and cease to carry Democrats and their otherwise empty electoral futures.

89% of 18-29 year old support it. It’s essentially the status quo for these people and younger lifetimes. I don’t see it getting overturned and then suddenly becoming less popular, especially as the country is becoming less religious 

DeSatan & the loud twitter minority online do not represent the USA.

Sadly, lot of foreigners just don't understand the US & get overworked by a few alarmist militants who make you feel like we're on the verge of civil war over something that is not even controversial with the GP.

Edited by WBTlove

Crazy to see how things turned around in the past 15 years. As recently as the 2008 elections neither of the two major party candidates supported it

16 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

I hope it's true but those polls are seldom not accurate.  

Yeah, I agree. I understand the hope these poll results bring, but from Trump's 2016 election compared to the polls at the time, it seems like a lot of conservatives just choose not to participate in these kinds of polls. 

1 hour ago, Aristotle said:

I hope it's true but those polls are seldom not accurate.  

54 minutes ago, onapearl said:

Yeah, I agree. I understand the hope these poll results bring, but from Trump's 2016 election compared to the polls at the time, it seems like a lot of conservatives just choose not to participate in these kinds of polls. 

But polling issues is different than polling candidates. There's no reason to lie in this. And if you go to the source, you guys can see that most Republican voters still oppose gay marriage in this poll. That feels realistic.

And nobody's hope should rely on these polls anyway. I know it's hard but I hope all LGBTQ+ people find the strength to be their true authentic selves no matter what. 

I'm honestly quite surprised to see Republicans at about 50% and regular churchgoers at over 40%. I was expecting something like 30+% and 20+% respectively.

Horizon Flame

Since the sky didn’t suddenly fall after gays began marrying and so many people know married gay couples, no one really cares. In fact, more than anything, people understand taxes and how much money gay couples were having to pay by being denied marriage. Everyone knows Uncle Sam and people, regardless of orientation, understand it from that angle regardless. 

Now, when it comes to drag and trans issues, that’s an entirely different story when it comes to the public acceptance. Thankfully, opponents haven’t been able to tack on gay marriage and drag down support for it even though it’s legalized - although this current Supreme Court could rule either way. Even conservatives who work in government don’t want to have to deal with it being thrown back to the states. Then they’ll have to go state by state figuring out who’s entitled to benefits and who isn’t. It’s headache inducing. 

Edited by Horizon Flame

Horizon Flame
1 hour ago, Genius1111 said:

I'm honestly quite surprised to see Republicans at about 50% and regular churchgoers at over 40%. I was expecting something like 30+% and 20+% respectively.

You’d be surprised how many conservatives are pretty accepting of gays overall even though they can’t stand all the Pride stuff. Conservative gays have always been working behind the scenes and now they’ll vocal. They’re just as conservative as their heterosexual counterparts. Heterosexual conservatives have become quite numb to it. Even their leaders said that it’s time to move on from gay marriage. It was decided. Furthermore, now they’re focused on drag queens and trans. Putting gays on the ballot doesn’t get people to the polls anymore for the GOP. 

You can say "thank you, SJWs!" :fan:

I am surprised even 41% of churchgoers support gay marriage. America is a beast when it comes to LGBT rights, other countries could never :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.