Gallup: Support for same-sex marriage in US at 71% all-time high

Jotham

Story Highlights

• The latest figure matches the high recorded in 2022
  • Support is lowest among Republicans (49%) and weekly churchgoers (41%)
  • Young adults, Democrats among the groups most supportive of gay marriage

Read more

• Like 3

This is great :clap3:

The loud minorities online make us feel like it’s going the other way but irl it has felt otherwise at least in America.

Glad for the stats back it up

:clap3:

Pretty impressive that just in 1996, only 27% of the population supported it

Online incel basement dwellers are seething :clap3:

• Like 2

Americans and their progress on many social issues (Marijuana legalization, abortion access, and support for same sex couples) has come SO far the last decade+……if only republicans weren’t stuck in the 19th Century 

9 minutes ago, Trent W said:

This is great :clap3:

The loud minorities online make us feel like it’s going the other way but irl it has felt otherwise at least in America.

Glad for the stats back it up

I agree. I think it's a small but very organized minority. Still concerning nonetheless but at least they don't reflect the majority of views in America.

• Thanks 1

89% of 18 to 29 year olds supporting  :clap3: 

so obvious the pushback about lgbt+ is just a really loud minority

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

It's easy to forget that same-sex marriage, trans rights, and abortion rights (to name a few social causes) are supported by the majority of Americans because there's a very loud, well-funded Christofascist minority that holds a disproportionate degree of power in both the government and the media. I think we're past the stage where we should prioritize convincing the general public why these causes should be supported (because most already do). Instead, we need to focus on getting these people who oppose these causes out of power and to try to undo the catastrophic degree of damage that they've done to society. 

:clap3::clap3:

• Like 1

Wow I remember when it used to be barely 50%

But ATRL downvoted me for saying society was not regressing. Even broad support for abortion rights are around ATH :matty:

It’s almost as if we live in a country with a tyrannical religious minority :matty:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Domination said:

But ATRL downvoted me for saying society was not regressing. Even broad support for abortion rights are around ATH :matty:

It’s almost as if we live in a country with a tyrannical religious minority :matty:

ATRL isn't a good place for social issue unpacking - it's a wonderful placed to be updated on what's happening because people aspire for hit threads but outside of that, just have a good time and look at people's passion and excitement, not their execution/delivery.

Merci :celestial:

1 hour ago, LustSpell said:

so obvious the pushback about lgbt+ is just a really loud minority

blame TikTok really.  You take away all those 30 second viral videos and nobody cares again.

17 minutes ago, Domination said:

Nazi germany wasn't a major group. Fascism doesn't require majority rule.

The gays are here to stay. :clap3:

the republicans lost the battle against the gays so they moved onto trans people

they'll lose again :cm: 

Biden’s America :clap3:

Thank you Ariana. :clap3:

It'll go down if the Supreme Court ever revoke the Obergefell decision, given time. What people tend to accept is the status quo, and after awhile, the post-Obergefell reality will become the new status quo. Eventually the energy around abortion support will also run out and cease to carry Democrats and their otherwise empty electoral futures.

• Thumbs Down 1

What hurts is that I know for a fact that if somehow there was a power out there that could survey every single American, a majority would be favorable to actual socially progressive ideas. Its just that the greedy bastards that have had the chance to accumulate all the power in the country have the power to create an illusion that this country is a backwards hellhole.

Its probably higher.

The media only amplify the homophobes to get clicks.

Edited by harwee

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.