Feds order desegregation of 32 Mississippi school districts after 50 yrs litigation

Vermillion

800.webp

Federal courts have issued desegregation orders for 32 school districts in Mississippi, the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division’s assistant attorney general said Thursday.

The desegregation orders fit into a broader body of civil rights work launched in Mississippi that is examining jails, police departments and hate crimes in the state, according to Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division.

Mississippi has the highest percentage of Black residents of any state. It has been home, as have other states, to legal fights over desegregation. In 2017, a Mississippi Delta school district agreed to merge two high schools after nearly 50 years of litigation in which the district sought to maintain historically Black and white schools. Associated Press

Mississippi truly is the worst state in the nation, and that’s saying something 

1 hour ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

what year is it

VI4zUgn.gif

Truly the fact this is being debated almost a quarter of the way into the 21st century is insane. 

35 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

Mississippi truly is the worst state in the nation, and that’s saying something 

!!!!!

• ATRL Moderator

Why are we still arguing about desegregating schools? :rip: :rip: :rip: 

What the actual **** :rip: 

I mean, I knew segregation and Civil Rights were only 60 years ago but Jesus F Christ. :deadbanana2:

Mississippiss is at the bottom of every list when it comes to states for a reason :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.