The Little Mermaid bombs overseas with $68m, fails to match Dumbo live action remake

Talento

Out of the USA. Wish she could be... part of their world. :'(

• Haha 1

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aethereal

• rac7d

• Lovett

• EmailMySwift

25 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

Why!? Who’s splaying Snow White ? :priceless:

29 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

We are about to have a round 2 of this next year. Snow White (the princess literally named after her complexion being white as snow) is played by Rachel Zegler.

AP21347103130755.jpg

This isn’t breaking even. This is hitting 300M at best. Colossal flop!

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Nux said:

I think sub $200M internationally is possible, if not likely…

How much do you think it will make domestically, overall? Next month looks packed… 

Realistically $285M-$325M, by multiplying the first four days with 2.6. Dumbo, Beauty and the Beast and TLK seems to fall in this formula but they did not have a memorial day. 

It seems to doing slightly above the first memorial weekend of Aladdin which had an exceptional run in terms of longevity. So a $355M domestic score is not out of question if it has exceptional longevity but I don't think it will reach that.

$200M internationally is a shoe-in because Dumbo opened in China with $10M ($20M total) while TLM only with $2.8M. China's box office is very frontloaded, at least for American movies that is. In general from what I have seen movies in China make 40% of their box office just from the first weekend. So the markets that TLM  is outperforming Dumbo are more stable and therefore TLM with outdo Dumbo internationally. The gap is already very small.  Or it will get very close to it. 

Dumbo did $240M internationally.

Raw BO numbers don’t entirely matter for this project. Disney gets to keep TLM IP as is and will continue to take in millions in residual payments, theme park rides and merch, etc. This movie is performing pretty middlinglh but it will still gross more than a bomb like Quantimania 

Snow White - while uninteresting - probably won't have problems with the leads.

Instead, people worldwide will be mostly confused by the disappearance of the "Seven Dwarfs" instead.

This is one of the better live-action remakes too. It’s a shame it’ll (by the looks of it) struggle to break even.

Now I’m interested to see how Snow White is going to perform next year. 

• ATRL Moderator

The people in here trying to justify racism :deadbanana4:

Halle is Ariel and nothing will change that :heart:

6 hours ago, MotoPapi said:

Why is Asia so anti-black? 

also, even tho I think Hallie was perfect for this role, Disney set her up knowing the racial abuse she will be subjected but I understand she accepted the role because it would be a huge breakout roll. 

in other words, Disney needs to start writing new original stories based on POC not just being lazy and offered them old movies.

I kind agree with this

POC characters are needed but the GP rejected the movie since the beginning for the race swap and the racists jumped on the bandwagon and made the hate wave 10x bigger.

New POC characters are absolutely needed.

Projects like Black Panther have found blockbuster success WW because of the organic race roots of the series.

Race swapping characters will flop from now on after this precedent has been set.

Edited by Trent W
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PopMusicJunkie said:

This!

After watching Halle as Ariel it’s no wonder she was cast.  She embodies the character perfectly and no other actress could have performed the songs vocally.  

I kept seeing fancasts that’s wanted Cheryl from riverdale as Ariel. 

The general public know squat about making films.

racism won i guess :dancehall:

also, sexists.... the LM always seemed more of a female film

Edited by Dula Peep

i have absolutely nothing against halle and i think she slayed the role but i really think disney's live action adaptations are so overdone atp. i'd much rather see her in an original, new thing than something i've already seen as a perfectly well-done animation 200 times. guess it pays the bills though

Edited by fallbekind

It's not a great movie but it's much, much better than the live action Beauty and the Beast that smashed so racism is the only explanation. 

Interesting that America got the bad rap as the most racist country. 

Edited by EmailMySwift

2 hours ago, KingKhalid said:

Black art will always be under appreciated this means literally nothing other than they are missing out on a great film spacer.png

It was made by white people tho. 

I went to see the movie, and I loved it. She is super talented :heart:But when I asked several of my acquaintances, they said they wouldn't go see it because they wanted the movie to respect the original "Little Mermaid" or because the illumination was too dark and lacked color. I live outside the USA.

I feel bad for Halle X Chloe. They been havin a bad year and theyre so sweet :emofish:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

It's not shocking but If this bombs as international numbers continue to fall I hope Halle is ok and has a good support system, I can't imagine the amount of racist trolling she will receive if it doesn't break even in a few weeks. I applaud Disney for taking this risk but I hope they never put a young black actress in such a position again - the racial hate and you being painted as a reason for a 'bomb' is not worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nux said:

They’re not even going to be called dwarves in this because they’re deeming it offensive. These Disney live action films are soulless and pointless. Just watch the animated originals, or if they really had any guts, they’d make films based on the real stories which were much, much darker. The Little Mermaid is forced to kill the prince and instead tries sacrificing herself in the book. THAT is something that would be interesting to see. Disney hasn’t had balls to do something like that since “Return to Oz.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiagol88 said:

This isn’t breaking even. This is hitting 300M at best. Colossal flop!

The way you are literally foaming at the mouth for this to flop. People are so weird. :skull: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nux said:

Racists will have a problem with this :gaycat6:

2 hours ago, simon said:

Halle was amazing!

Disney will make the money back through merchandise sales 

People have been talking about merchandise sales and early reports indicate that none of it is selling. This film is about to go down as one of biggest bombs in Disney history. Thank god I’m not the one who has to explain this away to investors. Disney is already in a mess with the bloated Star Wars franchise and Disney+ not bringing in enough revenue. 

The live action trend HAS TO STOP asap

It is not it, not at all

• ATRL Moderator

The Melissa Effect :shakeno:

• Thumbs Down 1

I'm not surprised that it's not doing well, but it's not doing well for several reasons and it's not just the fact that they made Ariel black, though I do think that's a huge factor.

1. Disney cast an actress who looks nothing like a movie they were banking on being a succes due to nostalgia. No matter how pretty or talented Halle is (which she is), to millions, she's not Ariel and will never be Ariel.

2. Her voice is also a big selling point but since her vocals are being dubbed by local actresses in a lot of markets, that's no longer a selling point.

3. Heard from people who watched it that the CGI wasn't great, was dark and murky, in a movie that's meant to be vibrant.

4. Pre Pandemic, I could've seen this being a huge hit, post pandemic with rising prices on tickets, I think a lot of people just didn't feel like going to see it.

Ultimately,  I think a lot of things conspired against this movie succeeding. People are sick of remakes and want original content.