OldTRL was wrong about Harry Styles... were you right?

More Than A Melody

25 minutes ago, Scott Borchetta said:

yes, his debut wasn’t pushed much and it bombed catastrophically at first, it only started to look less embarrassing when he got the insane push he did in 2019 after lights up bombed

my hater heart sleeps well at night that despite his payola and inorganic push, he will never come close to the careers of his much more talented peers like justin, the weeknd, ed, etc

Bombed catastrophically when it debuted with 230K units in its first week, scanned Platinum with no hit single within a year, had all its tracks reach 100M streams BEFORE Fine Line came out, had a hugely successful sold out tour in theaters AND arenas worldwide and was the #9 best selling album of 2017 according to IFPI... right....

Lights Up wasn't a single in America. The lead single was always going to be Adore You. The music videos were filmed back to back, the director of Lights Up was Vincent Haycock and the director of Adore You was Dave Meyers. Look up their names and you'll see why that's significant. Lights Up was literally never sent to radio in America. These were the press releases:

ImageImage

Also, Adore You was barely pushed it was released right at the same time as Christmas freeze started (see date above). He barely got any playlisting in 2019. Watermelon Sugar was literally the best example of an organic hit. It was released as a promo single on a Saturday night as Harry performed it on SNL. It was never meant to be an actual single. It got so much hype that it got moved as a single later on and it smashed on its own as the pandemic hit in the spring of 2020. Look up when the music video was released. Then look up the impact it had on its streaming before it was even sent to radio or playlisted on Spotify. You sound incredibly goofy and uninformed. Now you're gonna claim that As It Was, which today broke the record for the fastest song to reach 2.3 billion streams on Spotify, debuted with 20M+ streams in a day, and was #1 all over the world thanks to streaming was payolaed (let me guess, playlisting? Because it famously has that impact on all the songs that get playlisted).

As for his career, Harry sold out Wembley six times in a calendar year and is currently touring stadiums worldwide on his second tour. He won Album Of The Year and was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize, as well as hundreds of other prestigious awards. Your hater heart is seething and it's obvious. You're here, aren't you? Because I'm a fan having fun showing off the success of the artist I like. You're only here cause you're seething.

Going to bed, sweetheart. Thoughts and prayers for your hater heart to sleep super well. I know you need it.

Edited by More Than A Melody

Scott Borchetta
2 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Bombed catastrophically when it debuted with 230K units in its first week, scanned Platinum with no hit single within a year, had all its tracks reach 100M streams BEFORE Fine Line came out, had a hugely successful sold out tour in theaters AND arenas worldwide and was the #9 best selling album of 2017 according to IFPI... right....

Lights Up wasn't a single in America. The lead single was always going to be Adore You. The music videos were filmed back to back, the director of Lights Up was Vincent Haycock and the director of Adore You was Dave Meyers. Look up their names and you'll see why that's significant. Lights Up was literally never sent to radio in America. These were the press releases:

ImageImage

Also, Adore You was barely pushed it was released right at the same time as Christmas freeze started (see date above). He barely got any playlisting in 2019. Watermelon Sugar was literally the best example of an organic hit. It was released as a promo single on a Saturday night as Harry performed it on SNL. It was never meant to be an actual single. It got so much hype that it got moved as a single later on and it smashed on its own as the pandemic hit in the spring of 2020. Look up when the music video was released. Then look up the impact it had on its streaming before it was even sent to radio or playlisted on Spotify. You sound incredibly goofy and uninformed. Now you're gonna claim that As It Was, which today broke the record for the fastest song to reach 2.3 billion streams on Spotify, debuted with 20M+ streams in a day, and was #1 all over the world thanks to streaming was payolaed (let me guess, playlisting? Because it famously has that impact on all the songs that get playlisted).

As for his career, Harry sold out Wembley six times in a calendar year and is currently touring stadiums worldwide on his second tour. He won Album Of The Year and was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize, as well as hundreds of other prestigious awards. Your hater heart is seething and it's obvious. You're here, aren't you? Because I'm a fan having fun showing off the success of the artist I like. You're only here cause you're seething.

Going to bed, sweetheart. Thoughts and prayers for your hater heart to sleep super well. I know you need it.

the meltdown :rip:

everything i said is true, but keep convincing yourself that going to a 2016 thread from which most users are inactive nowadays and posting screenshots of them is healthy behavior and isn’t concerning because you like an artist or whatever

his debut did indeed bomb relative to expectations, and his overall career will never touch the top male artists of this generation

these essays won’t change that

Just now, Scott Borchetta said:

the meltdown :rip:

everything i said is true, but keep convincing yourself that going to a 2016 thread from which most users are inactive nowadays and posting screenshots of them is healthy behavior and isn’t concerning because you like an artist or whatever

his debut did indeed bomb relative to expectations, and his overall career will never touch the top male artists of this generation

these essays won’t change that

Giving out arguments that you can't refute = meltdown. :gaycat2:alright.

I'm sure Columbia was expecting Sign of the Times, a 6 minute long piano ballad to be a smash hit. And I'm sure they expected a rock album to be massive. Whatever you have to tell yourself.

I'm having fun, Scott Borchetta. I know it's a complicated concept to grasp for someone who's entire personality is hating popular artists, but I'm literally having fun. You should try it :heart:

His overall career is already gigantic. I don't really care how big or small it is compared to Justin Bieber specifically :rip: what a weird measure of success. He's successful and I'm happy. Once again. You should try it.

You should also try to get off your high horse because "artist I don't personally like = bad" is a very childish take and it's probably the reason you're here seething :katie:

Scott Borchetta
20 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Giving out arguments that you can't refute = meltdown. :gaycat2:alright.

I'm sure Columbia was expecting Sign of the Times, a 6 minute long piano ballad to be a smash hit. And I'm sure they expected a rock album to be massive. Whatever you have to tell yourself.

I'm having fun, Scott Borchetta. I know it's a complicated concept to grasp for someone who's entire personality is hating popular artists, but I'm literally having fun. You should try it :heart:

His overall career is already gigantic. I don't really care how big or small it is compared to Justin Bieber specifically :rip: what a weird measure of success. He's successful and I'm happy. Once again. You should try it.

You should also try to get off your high horse because "artist I don't personally like = bad" is a very childish take and it's probably the reason you're here seething :katie:

no not really, i don’t need to refute anything, an album that goes #39-OUT on the YEC is objectively a flop, your unrelated essays don’t change that

his overall career isn’t gigantic, he had 2 big hits, just like LMFAO and macklemore

his numbers are nothing special for someone 6 years in

hes not bad because i don’t like him, i don’t like because he’s bad, there’s a difference

didn’t you say you were going to sleep?

Edited by Scott Borchetta

Omg not the good sis @Pikachoo

9 hours ago, Scott Borchetta said:

I don’t blame those people for not predicting how hard his label and team would payola him and his awful music

Yall say this about anyone's music u dont like :skull:

no wonder ATRL is so out of touch with reality

8 hours ago, Scott Borchetta said:

no not really, i don’t need to refute anything, an album that goes #39-OUT on the YEC is objectively a flop, your unrelated essays don’t change that

his overall career isn’t gigantic, he had 2 big hits, just like LMFAO and macklemore

his numbers are nothing special for someone 6 years in

hes not bad because i don’t like him, i don’t like because he’s bad, there’s a difference

didn’t you say you were going to sleep?

You're still trying? #9 on IFPI year end. NINE.

Did you hear everybody? User Scott Borchetta is the ultimate tastemaker! The 12K voters at the Recording Academy? Tasteless. The 65 million people who stream his music on Spotify? Tasteless. The voting bodies of those multiple award ceremonies, including the freaking Mercury Prize? Tasteless. The reviewers that critically acclaimed his album? Tasteless. User Scott Borchetta from ATRL is the actual measure of good music.

Tragic and comical at the same time. We get it. You hate him. Move on. Nobody cares.

I can’t remember if I posted in any of those threads, but I’ve never doubted Harold. Anyone who did was very dumb and very oblivious to how huge 1D was :skull: 

Scott Borchetta
7 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

You're still trying? #9 on IFPI year end. NINE.

Did you hear everybody? User Scott Borchetta is the ultimate tastemaker! The 12K voters at the Recording Academy? Tasteless. The 65 million people who stream his music on Spotify? Tasteless. The voting bodies of those multiple award ceremonies, including the freaking Mercury Prize? Tasteless. The reviewers that critically acclaimed his album? Tasteless. User Scott Borchetta from ATRL is the actual measure of good music.

Tragic and comical at the same time. We get it. You hate him. Move on. Nobody cares.

That IFPI chart was a pure sales only chart which is irrelevant in 2017, it did bad on streaming.

Anyone with any taste whatsoever will tell you that Harry’s House winning AOTY over Renaissance was a travesty. His Metacritic average is nothing special in this era of poptimism. In fact his debut getting a 68 is the modern equivalent of a yellow score so.

We get it. You stan him. Move on. Nobody cares.

Edited by Scott Borchetta

Just now, Scott Borchetta said:

that IFPI chart was a pure sales only chart which is irrelevant in 2017, it did bad on streaming.

Anyone with any taste whatsoever will tell you that Harry’s House winning AOTY over Renaissance was a travesty. His Metacritic average is nothing special in this era of poptimism. In fact his debut getting a 68 is the modern equivalent of a yellow score so.

We get it. You stan him. Move on. Nobody cares.

It did bad on streaming but all its tracks were above 100M

incredulous-laugh.gif

"Anyone with taste whatsoever will say..." actually that's not true Ellen. Outside of niche online spaces, this was not true in the slightest. I recommend you take a gander through non-stan comment sections, cause the overwhelming sentiment was "makes sense." The album won multiple other awards. Almost all the possible awards an album can win (except the AMAs which are fan voted).

As for the Metacritic score... just this review alone would've pushed it to the 70s score. And of course a former boyband member who came from a reality show would get harshly criticized :rip: the fact that he managed a 68 score for his debut... Starboy got a 67 Metacritic six months before Harry's album. Divide got a 62 in March 2017, Purpose got a 63 in 2015 and a 57 in 2020. Reputation got a 71 the same year. Zayn's debut got a 69 in 2016. Niall got a 64 in 2017. Witness got a 53 in 2017. Dua's debut got a 72. "Poptimism" in 2017 and there's literally one (1) maintream pop album that got a score above 75 on Metacritic in 2017... Melodrama. Two if you count Lust For Life (which got there narrowly with a 77). You're literally just saying anything atp.

imageimage

I made this thread. You're here commenting on it. I think you care that I stan him. I'm literally just replying to my thread.

not sure if I did or not but real random.

Scott Borchetta
13 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

It did bad on streaming but all its tracks were above 100M

incredulous-laugh.gif

"Anyone with taste whatsoever will say..." actually that's not true Ellen. Outside of niche online spaces, this was not true in the slightest. I recommend you take a gander through non-stan comment sections, cause the overwhelming sentiment was "makes sense." The album won multiple other awards. Almost all the possible awards an album can win (except the AMAs which are fan voted).

As for the Metacritic score... just this review alone would've pushed it to the 70s score. And of course a former boyband member who came from a reality show would get harshly criticized :rip: the fact that he managed a 68 score for his debut... Starboy got a 67 Metacritic six months before Harry's album. Divide got a 62 in March 2017, Purpose got a 63 in 2015 and a 57 in 2020. Reputation got a 71 the same year. Zayn's debut got a 69 in 2016. Niall got a 64 in 2017. Witness got a 53 in 2017. Dua's debut got a 72. "Poptimism" in 2017 and there's literally one (1) maintream pop album that got a score above 75 on Metacritic in 2017... Melodrama. Two if you count Lust For Life (which got there narrowly with a 77). You're literally just saying anything atp.

imageimage

I made this thread. You're here commenting on it. I think you care that I stan him. I'm literally just replying to my thread.

I already said his debut began to lift itself out of colossal flop status after his 2019 inorganic push, it has middling stats now but not awful stats like it did when it was released (which is why it failed to make the billboard year end chart for a second year which is the bare minimum in the streaming era)

Maybe Harry’s 13 year old stans on TikTok think he was the deserving winner but the critics you are bragging about getting a 68 from ( :rip: ) universally agreed that his mediocre album robbed Renaissance and his white privilege is what won him that award over Beyonce who released an album better than his career

You made a weird thread and I responded, get over yourself

9 minutes ago, Scott Borchetta said:

I already said his debut began to lift itself out of colossal flop status after his 2019 inorganic push, it has middling stats now but not awful stats like it did when it was released (which is why it failed to make the billboard year end chart for a second year which is the bare minimum in the streaming era)

Maybe Harry’s 13 year old stans on TikTok think he was the deserving winner but the critics you are bragging about getting a 68 from ( :rip: ) universally agreed that his mediocre album robbed Renaissance and his white privilege is what won him that award over Beyonce who released an album better than his career

You made a weird thread and I responded, get over yourself

Do you have some sort of memory issue? Or do you just reply "MeLtdOwN" without reading the multiple arguments debunking literally everything you claimed? Go back and read what I already said.

It's not just fans and it's not just on Tik Tok. I said "not niche online spaces" it's right there, but you can continue to tell yourself whatever it is that soothes you. The album was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize, won an Ivor Novello for songwriting, and multiple other awards.

You: a 68 Metacritic is a terrible score in 2017 because of poptimism

Me: 2017 wasn't poptimism, here's the arguments

You: you're bragging about a 68 Metacritic

Since when is it weird to bring up old comments on ATRL? People quote posts on their sigs, "bookmark me" is a thing. They revive old threads. I think you need to revisit the dictionary definition of "weird" because "thing that happens all the time" isn't it.

I can't decide if you're this bitter or just a troll. What do you want from these replies? Who argues THIS much about an artist they dislike? If what you want is the the last word, you can have it. Hope that heals you.

Scott Borchetta
14 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Do you have some sort of memory issue? Or do you just reply "MeLtdOwN" without reading the multiple arguments debunking literally everything you claimed? Go back and read what I already said.

It's not just fans and it's not just on Tik Tok. I said "not niche online spaces" it's right there, but you can continue to tell yourself whatever it is that soothes you. The album was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize, won an Ivor Novello for songwriting, and multiple other awards.

You: a 68 Metacritic is a terrible score in 2017 because of poptimism

Me: 2017 wasn't poptimism, here's the arguments

You: you're bragging about a 68 Metacritic

Since when is it weird to bring up old comments on ATRL? People quote posts on their sigs, "bookmark me" is a thing. They revive old threads. I think you need to revisit the dictionary definition of "weird" because "thing that happens all the time" isn't it.

I can't decide if you're this bitter or just a troll. What do you want from these replies? Who argues THIS much about an artist they dislike? If what you want is the the last word, you can have it. Hope that heals you.

More meltdowns :rip:

Everyone knows how the Grammys work, there’s a reason there were multiple viral tweets and TikToks dragging his win over a black woman who released a much superior body of work.

Bragging about a 68 is still hilarious, you just provided examples of other panned albums like you were doing something 

It’s weird because it’s corny and we hate Harry Styles, hence your post getting downvoted

18 hours ago, Nutitle said:

Omg not the good sis @Pikachoo

I said what I said and stand by it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.