OldTRL was wrong about Harry Styles... were you right?

More Than A Melody

In memory of rumors of Harry re-signing with Columbia records (and almost 7 years since the date of his original contract), I looked for the Old ATRL thread about Harry signing his first solo deal.

Were you right in your predictions or wrong? Let's find out!

This was the OP by @Hector

Spoiler

Wrong:bam: 

Spoiler

Reading this knowing that Fine Line alone sold 10M copies is really funny

:gaycat2: tell me more

:celestial4:we did see

BANNED is sending me

Reading this knowing he's the biggest asset for Columbia and has been for like five years is incredibly amusing

Do not buy lottery tickets, Antoine

imageç

We are doing GREAT. Thanks tho!

IDK I think he penetrated just fine

Did they?

You jinxed Zayn

I think there's a reason Bang Up doesn't own a record label

It wasn't Apple, it was Columbia, a lot of people lacked the comprehensive skills to fully understand the OP, which literally opened with the word COLUMBIA. It's 2023 and I think Truth Teller was wrong :bam:

Well

I'm skipping a bunch of these because they're very repetitive

Just following orders..

LOL

The GP says hi :wave:

Clairvoyant, Dominant is not

It was the other way around actually

Some great predictions:clap3:

Spoiler

The contract didn't include tours, but you got the spirit

Poor Kelly

Honorable mention to the clonwniest opinions of them all... it's all a conspiracy!!

:redface:

Closing with the queen. You're missed @Penny.

ATRL: mostly wrong about Harry Styles & his solo career since 2016

Edited by More Than A Melody
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

i was wrong. i didnt know white male privilege would be that strong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I don’t understand why anyone would ever doubt him. He was always the face of 1D and the clear star :deadbanana4:

I came into this thread expecting it to be people doubting him post-HS1. Because even I, as a fan, doubted his chances for mass commercial viability after the album did just okay (at the time).

Sis you are rubbing salt into their wounds :dies:

especially when atrl is on a Harry hate train atm :toofunny3:

2 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Sis you are rubbing salt into their wounds :dies:

especially when atrl is on a Harry hate train atm :toofunny3:

They've been on the hate train since 2016. It was pointless then and it's pointless now and they can continue to cope :celestial6:

15 minutes ago, Taemira said:

i was wrong. i didnt know white male privilege would be that strong.

Too bad the other members of 1D weren't Able to profit off that white male privilege

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952d922afgtetcycyozfi

The effort :deadbanana2:

3 minutes ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

The effort :deadbanana2:

I'm technically at work so I'm on my laptop. It took me like, five minutes tops.

He cut his hair short and the GP became interested in him again.

They always doubted most male singers back in the days  :laugh:

Well, I would have prefered him to flop and serve quality, but seems like it wasn't the case in the long run :giraffe:

Damn makes sense the immense payola 

11 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

Well, I would have prefered him to flop and serve quality, but seems like it wasn't the case in the long run :giraffe:

He served both, and his critical acclaim and success prove it, so true :clap3:

11 minutes ago, Selenasworld said:

Damn makes sense the immense payola 

Still coping, 7 years later :heart:

Just now, More Than A Melody said:

He served both, and his critical acclaim and success prove it, so true :clap3:

Still coping, 7 years later :heart:

Thanks horny ladies :clap3:

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Selenasworld said:

Thanks horny ladies :clap3:

Yeah, women can only like music if they're horny. And if user @Selenasworld doesn't like it, it's bad!

You :heart: misogyny

Just now, More Than A Melody said:

Yeah, women can only like music if they're horny. And if user @Selenasworld doesn't like it, it's bad!

You :heart: misogyny

You know it's true and some gay too so let's make it equally the same thing with Bieber's longevity 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Selenasworld said:

You know it's true and some gay too so let's make it equally the same thing with Bieber's longevity 

What I know is that his last album was critically acclaimed and won Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Engineered Album, and Album of the Year at the Grammys, as well as British Album of the Year at the BRITs and the equivalent of the Grammys/Brits for best album in Canada, Spain, Norway, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Australia, etc. It was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize and won an Ivor Novello award for songwriting.

Your trolling is corny, narrowminded, and edging on flamebaiting.

:ahh: You're iconic for gathering that all up and just calling everyone out :lmao:

I wish I liked the singles from the eras more but I mean, it's amazing what he has accomplished since 1D went on hiatus. 

And nnn at people in here claiming white privilege. :skull: . Explain why Niall Horan is struggling to do well these days and why the only reason I know a lot of his discography is because the grocery store I work at shoved his album tracks down my throat :skull: . Also explain why Liam Payne only got one hit, despite also being white and also arguably being more attractive than Harry at times (Liam also got naked more than Harry has and Harry still has a more successful career). (And I say that as someone that likes some of Liam's tunes).

Harry can slay. The older I've gotten, the more I learn that forming your own opinion as opposed to what ATRL thinks is important.

• Like 1

The quotes :rip: I wonder if I was in there

I still think he is massively overrated. His music is uninventive and bland, as are his aesthetics.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, MusicLoverDude said:

:ahh: You're iconic for gathering that all up and just calling everyone out :lmao:

I wish I liked the singles from the eras more but I mean, it's amazing what he has accomplished since 1D went on hiatus. 

And nnn at people in here claiming white privilege. :skull: . Explain why Niall Horan is struggling to do well these days and why the only reason I know a lot of his discography is because the grocery store I work at shoved his album tracks down my throat :skull: . Also explain why Liam Payne only got one hit, despite also being white and also arguably being more attractive than Harry at times (Liam also got naked more than Harry has and Harry still has a more successful career). (And I say that as someone that likes some of Liam's tunes).

Harry can slay. The older I've gotten, the more I learn that forming your own opinion as opposed to what ATRL thinks is important.

I personally love his singles, but his album tracks are generally miles better.

When I first started lurking on ATRL (when I saw that thread I didn't have a user and registration was closed) I used to get really bummed by the criticism because I was still a teenager and for some reason that sort of thing affected me. Maturing + seeing that they're nothing more than a bunch of bitter people who want his success for their favs/themselves made me find it funny. The excuses are hilarious. They truly don't know what else to come up with.

Like, calling his aesthetics "bland" for instance. You can dislike them, but calling them bland is a kii. They're either not paying attention or lying through their teeth

Spoiler

This image may contain Animal Invertebrate and Insect

Scott Borchetta

I don’t blame those people for not predicting how hard his label and team would payola him and his awful music

• Like 1

I don't remember if I posted in there or not. Probably not as I don't care about Harry Styles like that, then or now. In any event it's not surprising that he became a solo success because they were already pushing him hard back in 1D. 

13 minutes ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

I don't remember if I posted in there or not. Probably not as I don't care about Harry Styles like that, then or now. In any event it's not surprising that he became a solo success because they were already pushing him hard back in 1D. 

The purported main figure of 1D was Liam Payne because he'd already been to the X Factor at 14. Harry won people over instead and became the face of the band all on his own by his own charisma.

17 minutes ago, Scott Borchetta said:

I don’t blame those people for not predicting how hard his label and team would payola him and his awful music

Sign of the Times peaked at 12 on pop radio and didn't even crack top 40 on overall radio. The first week it was released, it had "a glitch" on Spotify that meant that you could only play the song if you deleted the app and redownloaded it. It still peaked at #4 in the US and #1 in the UK. It has 1.3 billion streams on Spotify, 1.1 billion streams on YouTube, and is 6x Platinum eligible in America (7x Platinum in Australia, 2x Diamond in Brazil, Diamond in France, Diamond in Mexico, etc). Not one week of the 15 As It Was was #1 on BBH100 was dominated by radio (it also spent 10 weeks ·#1 and 31 weeks top 10in the UK, where they don't include radio at all), Watermelon Sugar is the 21st most streamed song of all time and to this day gets 1.5M daily streams. But if thinking it's payola makes your hater heart sleep better at night, you can continue to do so.

• Like 1

Scott Borchetta
4 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Sign of the Times peaked at 12 on pop radio and didn't even crack top 40 on overall radio. The first week it was released, it had "a glitch" on Spotify that meant that you could only play the song if you deleted the app and redownloaded it. It still peaked at #4 in the US and #1 in the UK. It has 1.3 billion streams on Spotify, 1.1 billion streams on YouTube, and is 6x Platinum eligible in America (7x Platinum in Australia, 2x Diamond in Brazil, Diamond in France, Diamond in Mexico, etc). Not one week of the 15 As It Was was #1 on BBH100 was dominated by radio (it also spent 10 weeks ·#1 and 31 weeks top 10in the UK, where they don't include radio at all), Watermelon Sugar is the 21st most streamed song of all time and to this day gets 1.5M daily streams. But if thinking it's payola makes your hater heart sleep better at night, you can continue to do so.

yes, his debut wasn’t pushed much and it bombed catastrophically at first, it only started to look less embarrassing when he got the insane push he did in 2019 after lights up bombed

my hater heart sleeps well at night that despite his payola and inorganic push, he will never come close to the careers of his much more talented peers like justin, the weeknd, ed, etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.