Black brazilian football player is racially abused by stadium crowd in Spain (again)

Scars

20230228_Vinicius Jr racism

Vinícius Júnior has called La Liga and Spain racist after Real Madrid’s Brazil forward received racial slurs from the stands in Sunday’s defeat at Valencia’s Mestalla stadium. Vinícius Júnior pointed out the fans who were insulting him, leading to the match being stopped for 10 minutes, and then got into an altercation with Valencia’s players which led to his sending-off in added time.

“It was not the first time, nor the second, nor the third. Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition considers it normal, the federation considers it normal and the rivals encourage it,” Vinicius posted on Twitter after the game. “The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to the racists.

“A beautiful nation, which welcomed me and which I love, but which accepted to export to the world the image of a racist country. I am sorry for those Spaniards who disagree but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists.

“I am strong and I will go all the way against the racists. Even if it is far away from here,” he added.

Real’s manager, Carlo Ancelotti, also spoke out against the incident on social media, saying: “Today has been a sad day at Mestalla, where a group of fans have shown their worst version. It is time to stop talking and act forcefully. Racism has no place in football or in society. NO TO RACISM ANYWHERE”.

[...]

La Liga will request all available images in order to investigate what took place in light of the incident. “If any hate crime is identified, we will take the appropriate legal action,” it said in a statement.

(The Guardian)

This isn't the first racist incident that happened to Vinicius Jr. during La Liga matches lately:

Vinícius Jr. is being racially abused during LaLiga matches. Why is nobody being punished?

Vinícius Jr scored the goal that secured Real Madrid’s 14th European Cup last May, and this season his brilliance has continued to light up the team’s Champions League campaign. The supremely talented 22-year-old – widely considered one of the world’s best players – has six goals in seven matches in Europe and another eight in LaLiga, but he has also become a repeated victim of “hate crimes” in Spain, according to a players’ union.

Ahead of the derby against Atlético Madrid in January, an effigy of Vinícius was hanged from a bridge in Madrid, while racist slurs have been caught on camera during Real’s matches at Osasuna, Mallorca, Real Valladolid and Atlético.

As of yet, there have been no punishments handed down by Spain’s leading football authority – the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) – or any local prosecutors, but investigations into some cases are still ongoing.

An effigy with Vinícius' shirt hangs from a bridge in the vicinity of Real's Valdebebas training ground.

An effigy with Vinícius' shirt hangs from a bridge in the vicinity of Real's Valdebebas training ground (Jan 23)

(CNN)

It's important to note that racism in european football is an epidemic that has historically harmed black players and fans, including many black brazilian icons.

Javier Solís, Corporate Director and Spokesperson of Valencia CF, is worried about Valencia fans being framed as racist.

Edited by Scars

Football fans AND in Spain? Being racist? Quelle surprise 

I hate how normalized it is in the football community 

Edited by State of Grace.

• ATRL Administrator

I’m shocked. Really. 

This doesn’t surprise me. Racism and esp COLORISM is huge issue in sports.

• Like 1

Soccer fans are the pits. I don't know how they can handle the LGBT rainbow. 

Edited by Aristotle

ban soccer tbh

Spanish speaking people being racist against black people? Shocking!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aren said:

Spanish speaking people being racist against black people? Shocking!

i feel like it’s way worse in spain cause they actually think they’re white :coffee2:

• Thumbs Down 2

40 minutes ago, gatito said:

i feel like it’s way worse in spain cause they actually think they’re white :coffee2:

Spaniards are white though 

50 minutes ago, gatito said:

they… are… :rip:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gatito said:

ban soccer tbh

It’s weird bc soccer in the US has one of the more friendly/positive sport fandoms, whereas in the EU, it’s the absolute worst.  

@OP It’s absolutely disgusting how they get away with doing this and how prevalent this has been for such a long time.

this has been happening to him all year and nothing has changed, it just keeps happening :/

Edited by kandicha

La Liga president Javier Tebas went on Twitter to publicly criticize Vinicius Jr. for calling out the lack of action on the part of La Liga to investigate and punish racist abuse on football matches. Javier is openly a far-right Vox voter so it doesn't come off as a surprise:biblio:

Deep-rooted racism is really permeated in all aspects of iberian culture and society. My heart breaks for Vini.

Edited by Scars

Football fans are the most racist, homophobic, misogynistic pieces of ****. This isn't surprising.

Well soccer fans are the worst so this is no surprise

I felt so bad for him. Just ban the racist fans from the stadium. There are plenty cameras in a stadium, it shouldn’t be that hard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Embustera said:

Just ban the racist fans from the stadium. There are plenty cameras in a stadium, it shouldn’t be that hard.

Would be a game changer if they enforce this. It happens way too often. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gatito said:

:deadvision:

I'm glad that racism is not a problem in Europe at all. US should take notes. 

On 5/22/2023 at 5:26 AM, Embustera said:

I felt so bad for him. Just ban the racist fans from the stadium. There are plenty cameras in a stadium, it shouldn’t be that hard.

Might as well play in an empty stadium

8 hours ago, greeneyedsoul said:

I'm glad that racism is not a problem in Europe at all. US should take notes. 

Sarcasm?

Idk how the Europeans on here literally say they're not racist when they used thousands of years of religion to justify occupying, raping, pillaging and then destroying like 85% of the planet and hate anyone that is past the shade of some mozzarella cheese. I lived there for like 10 years and couldn't do it anymore they're so racist :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.