Republicans lose a Mayoral race in Colorado Springs, CO

Bears01

Colorado Springs hasn’t elected a non GOP candidate in almost 50 years, and is a conservative hotbed (historically) for a large city 

• ATRL Moderator

I always giggle when people think Colorado Springs is actually conservative :rip:. Just because it's not Denver doesn't make it one of the most conservative cities in the US.

Just now, khalyan said:

I always giggle when people think Colorado Springs is actually conservative :rip:. Just because it's not Denver doesn't make it one of the most conservative cities in the US.

For a metropolitan area, it’s conservative. While Colorado had a blue wave down ballot in 22, the GOP candidates for Governor and Senate won it by double digits 

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Bears01 said:

For a metropolitan area, it’s conservative. While Colorado had a blue wave down ballot in 22, the GOP candidates for Governor and Senate won it by double digits 

It has a very high amount of military that live there that lean it a bit conservative but every time I've visited Colorado Springs I feel like I'm in San Francisco compared to the actual conservative cities in Texas I work in :rip: 

5 minutes ago, khalyan said:

It has a very high amount of military that live there that lean it a bit conservative but every time I've visited Colorado Springs I feel like I'm in San Francisco compared to the actual conservative cities in Texas I work in :rip: 

It’s a “classical 90’s/80’s conservative”, not full on MAGA nutjob level conservative (this isn’t to make 90’s/80’s conservatives look good, they were still bad). It still regularly votes to the right of the nation and hasn’t elected a non GOP candidate in generations. 

Compared to 90-95% of metropolitan areas of the nation, it absolutely is conservative. Compared to bumfuck nowhere in the middle of Mississippi, it’s absolutely not, but that’s not what we’re comparing it to 

Edited by Bears01

• ATRL Moderator
29 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

It’s a “classical 90’s/80’s conservative”, not full on MAGA nutjob level conservative (this isn’t to make 90’s/80’s conservatives look good, they were still bad). It still regularly votes to the right of the nation and hasn’t elected a non GOP candidate in generations. 

Compared to 90-95% of metropolitan areas of the nation, it absolutely is conservative. Compared to bumfuck nowhere in the middle of Mississippi, it’s absolutely not, but that’s not what we’re comparing it to 

You said it’s one of the most conservative cities in America, I just disagree with that label 

9 minutes ago, khalyan said:

You said it’s one of the most conservative cities in America, I just disagree with that label 

https://www.fox21news.com/top-stories/colorado-springs-growth-could-bring-a-change-in-political-landscape/amp/

My friend, Republicans outnumber democrats there 2:1. For a CITY, it is very conservative 

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

https://www.fox21news.com/top-stories/colorado-springs-growth-could-bring-a-change-in-political-landscape/amp/

My friend, Republicans outnumber democrats there 2:1. For a CITY, it is very conservative 

I live in the city that voted for Trump in 2016 more than anywhere else in the US, you really don’t need to lecture me on what you think a conservative city is. 

13 minutes ago, khalyan said:

I live in the city that voted for Trump in 2016 more than anywhere else in the US, you really don’t need to lecture me on what you think a conservative city is. 

I do not know why you are getting angry about me saying this :rip: it is literally the home of this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family and consistently votes to the right of the nation. It wasn’t a big deal that I pointed out that yes, it is one of the most conservative cities in the country 

Edit: as recent as 2017, it was ranked the 4th most conservative city in the country https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/30/colorado-springs-libertarian-experiment-america-215313/

Edited by Bears01

Republicans seem to be serving chart poison this election cycle. :redface:

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

I do not know why you are getting angry about me saying this :rip: it is literally the home of this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family and consistently votes to the right of the nation. It wasn’t a big deal that I pointed out that yes, it is one of the most conservative cities in the country 

Edit: as recent as 2017, it was ranked the 4th most conservative city in the country https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/30/colorado-springs-libertarian-experiment-america-215313/

All I said was I disagreed with your assessment that it’s a conservative city.  It’s really not.  

1 minute ago, khalyan said:

All I said was I disagreed with your assessment that it’s a conservative city.  It’s really not.  

The 4th most Conservative city in the country…..isn’t conservative? I’m sorry but data literally says, it literally is 

• ATRL Moderator

• ATRL Moderator

If you actually think Colorado Springs is one of the most conservative cities in the US, then it shows you have never been to an actual conservative city to experience the difference. 

8 minutes ago, khalyan said:

*Scottsdale, Arizona….. Trump +3 

Colorado Springs, Co….. Trump +4 

(I bring up Scottsdale because it’s specifically mentioned in several of your links).

My friend, I know conservatives cities and areas and what they’re like: I’m from Indiana :rip:

28 minutes ago, FightForTanas said:

Republicans seem to be serving chart poison this election cycle. :redface:

this being the most important takeaway so far (let’s not be too hopeful tho) :whistle2:

1 hour ago, Bears01 said:

I'd characterize it perhaps as the "politically active" members of the population who actually bother to vote are conservative, but normies by and large don't bother. Mayoral elections in ALL cities have abysmal turnout anyway.

Not to mention, the most liberal city in the country's mayors have been some of the most conservative there have ever been: Rudy Giuliani, Michael Bloomberg, and Eric Adams most recently, with Bill de Blasio being a complete anomaly. Municipal leaders don't truly reflect the ideological leanings of the city, imo.

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

*Scottsdale, Arizona….. Trump +3 

Colorado Springs, Co….. Trump +4 

(I bring up Scottsdale because it’s specifically mentioned in several of your links).

My friend, I know conservatives cities and areas and what they’re like: I’m from Indiana :rip:

My city - Trump +51

I don’t want to hear it if you think somewhere that was only +4 for Trump makes it one of the most conservative cities in the country :bibliahh: 

1 minute ago, khalyan said:

My city - Trump +51

I don’t want to hear it if you think somewhere that was only +4 for Trump makes it one of the most conservative cities in the country :bibliahh: 

What state are you in? In Colorado, in a D+4 year nationally, a city voting trump +4 is still well to the right of the nation (and it was trump +17 in 2016). 

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

What state are you in? In Colorado, in a D+4 year nationally, a city voting trump +4 is still well to the right of the nation (and it was trump +17 in 2016). 

I live in Texas

I think you can make the case that Colorado Springs is one of the most conservative cities in Colorado, but I find it rather ignorant to think it qualifies nationally 

34 minutes ago, khalyan said:

I live in Texas

I think you can make the case that Colorado Springs is one of the most conservative cities in Colorado, but I find it rather ignorant to think it qualifies nationally 

When I was talking about cities, I was specifically talking about cities that have a bigger population. COS has almost 500,000 people. For most cities, with a population that big and voting to the right of the nation every election, it’s still pretty conservative in that regard. That’s really what I meant earlier. If you disagree I understand but agree to disagree :heart:

3 hours ago, khalyan said:

ok well San Francisco 2.0 hasn't voted for a Dem since the Civil Rights Act passed :sistrens:

FwTJuyBXwAAEM_h?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

The Roe Vs Wade reversal + election denying is slowly destroying the republican party :skull:

3 hours ago, lightstheyblindme said:

ok well San Francisco 2.0 hasn't voted for a Dem since the Civil Rights Act passed :sistrens:

FwTJuyBXwAAEM_h?format=jpg&name=large

i expected the opposite tbh :skull: why's san fran so conservative??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.