Elle Fanning 'didn't have enough Instagram followers' to book a major franchise role

Stepfon

Elle-Fanning-Fashion-Awards-Carpet-Getty

When asked on the Happy Sad Confused podcast if she feels pressure to book franchise roles to stay relevant, The Great star shook her head. "I don't feel that way," she said. "It obviously does something for people. But you also don't know if they're gonna work sometimes, which is also scary."

In addition to her work playing Catherine the Great on the Hulu comedy, Fanning has also starred on projects like The Girl From Plainville and All The Bright Places. That doesn't mean she's avoiding blockbuster roles — in fact, she recalled recently being up for a franchise role that didn't work out. Though she neglected to mention the studio or project by name, she did share a juicy tidbit about why it fell through: "I'm not gonna say what it was," Fanning said, "but I didn't get a part once for something big because — and it might not have just been this reason, but this was all the feedback that I heard — was because I didn't have enough Instagram followers at the time." 

Oddly enough, Fanning — who currently has more than six million Instagram followers — has proven her social media savvy in the past.  When TikTok was exploding during lockdown, Fanning created a secret account that, despite its lack of promotion, garnered 600,000 followers within 3 months. Alas, that wasn't enough to book her this particular mystery gig.

x

The role was

Spoiler

The report makes no mention of the actors and actresses that were previously reported to be contenders to play Cyclops and Jean Grey, which included Hailee Steinfeld and Elle Fanning, but one imagines this new shortlist is more up to date.

X-Men: Apocalypse Contenders: Tye Sheridan, Saoirse Ronan in the Mix (collider.com)

Smells like Disney 

Evil Eye Reaction GIF

But Elle has 7mil on Instagram so i dont understand.. 

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

40 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Smells like Disney 

Evil Eye Reaction GIF

But Elle has 7mil on Instagram so i dont understand.. 

It was Jean Grey in X-Men Apocalypse. Sophie Turner had already told the same story from her side 

“I auditioned for a project and it was between me and another girl who is a far better actress than I am, far better, but I had the followers, so I got the job. It’s not right, but it is part of the movie industry now.”

https://graziamagazine.com/articles/sophie-turner-games-of-thrones-instagram-followers/

People are speculating its Dark Phoenix and I'm happy for her, she doesn't need to have such an ugly stain on her filmography.

some people are saying it was Game of Thrones because Sophie said she got the part because she had a lot of followers on instagram.

13 hours ago, Talento said:

It was Jean Grey in X-Men Apocalypse. Sophie Turner had already told the same story from her side 

https://graziamagazine.com/articles/sophie-turner-games-of-thrones-instagram-followers/

Emmy Nominee Queen in the North is so modest, love her!

elle has the great now so it's been good for her too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.