Would you say the anime industry is more or less relevant compared to 10 years ago?

TanjiroKamado

I feel like its dropping in relevance :emofish: I blame the lack of good content.

Demon Slayer and Jujutsu are huge (rightfully so), but what else is there? Ten years ago we had Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note, Naruto which were HUGE.

Even One Piece took a hit in popularity and no1curr about the Dragonball sequel.

Thoughts?

I go to comic-cons and there is a huge anime base of young teen and adults who cos-play as anime and the voice actors lines are always filled with hundreds of fans. My Hero Academy has a few of it’s own special cons

in SEA only adult watch anime, Kids in here are now mostly playing mobile games.

more, i think its just so mainstream now that it just doesnt get the same attention as the 'weird weeb thing' 

Edited by EtherealCat

Its become mainstream, Anime and K-pop are kind of the staple soft power showcase of Asia in the global mainstream. 

Its relevant but its become one of those water cooler talk topics that no one really bats an eye. People could be going about their day never buying anime merch or anything of the sort but binge watch Jujutsu Kaisen or Fairy Tale or anything of the sort.

17 minutes ago, EtherealCat said:

more, i think its just so mainstream now that it just doesnt get the same attention as the 'weird weeb thing' 

this.

i just got into manga last month. 

fullmetal>deathnote>fruitsbasket>hunterhunter>naruto>bleach

of the most popular tv episodes on imdb this decade, only last of us & attack on titan have multiple 60k+ ratings.

Edited by fridayteenage

It's bigger than ever, but quality-wise it's been on a downward spiral since the middle 2000s. But it doesn't seem to be stopping its popularity so... 

It's bigger than ever. I've never seen so many people watching anime before, and being open about it. 

i agrih. it's all more watered down now just like the mpgs

1 hour ago, siratakexxx said:

in SEA only adult watch anime, Kids in here are now mostly playing mobile games.

This is very true. 

Are you high? It’s way more mainstream. I mean there are screenings of anime movies in my local cinema (eastern europe)

Not too much on dragon ball now. 

But yeah you're right 

i had high hopes for that spy x family show and The Promised Neverland

i kinda lost interest I need to go back and finish both 

I hope we get Mermaid Melody in english one day

No, the opposite

And not you mentioning Jujutsu and DS but excluding My Hero Academia, Spy X Family, Chainsaw Man, Blue Lock that are smashing right now:rip:

They are still ongoing so of course they don't feel as *relevant* as AoT, Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note etc

3 hours ago, TanjiroKamado said:

Even One Piece took a hit in popularity

Their 2022 movie literally grossed $200M+ worldwide and is now the 6th biggest anime movie ever just behind two other 2022 anime movies, hello? :rip: Anime movies are stomping at the box office worldwide as we speak in the midst of an anime boom in the wake of that Mugen Train movie that grossed $500M+ worldwide during the 2020 lockdowns

Suzume and The First Slam Dunk literally broke attendance records in China, Korea and other Asian countries recently, stomping on the Super Mario Bros movie

And there are endless anime edits and videos on TikTok and Instagram and posts above already mentioned tons of other recent mega popular anime smashes

Anime is literally bigger than ever :rip: 

Maybe its dropping for you? I'm really busy, but I can def tell that its popular than ever. Jujutsu Kaisen, My Hero, Demon Slayer are the three main girls right now. Dr Stone and Hunter x Hunter are going to be huge in coming years. Chainsaw man was huge, fire force is coming back for next season. Everything is about to be STACKED. JoJo's bizzare adventure just had a great season with a female lead too.

It's more popular! A decade ago I remember people would make fun of you for watching anime in the states at, but nowadays many of these same people that would belittle anime watchers have seen at least 1 anime title. I feel like animes popularity swelled around the pandemic and it has maintained its rising popularity. We must also account for the value of the anime industry doubling compared to where it was a decade ago and is now a multi-billion dollar industry.

We also didn't have as much accessibility to anime 10 years ago. The anime industry is more accepting of their work being exported overseas because it means more money. Now you can find anime on any major streaming service and ofc sites like zoro are hugely popular with the internet pirates. There's just a lot more anime to watch so don't fool yourself from seeing the all the hidden gems being released. 

No it’s bigger than ever. Maybe it’s just you who just isn’t watching anime anymore or you lost general interest in it.

This dying forum is so out of touch with reality... :deadbanana:

ANIME IS BIGGER THAN EVER.

32 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Maybe its dropping for you? I'm really busy, but I can def tell that its popular than ever. Jujutsu Kaisen, My Hero, Demon Slayer are the three main girls right now. Dr Stone and Hunter x Hunter are going to be huge in coming years. Chainsaw man was huge, fire force is coming back for next season. Everything is about to be STACKED. JoJo's bizzare adventure just had a great season with a female lead too.

The way all the shows listed sans DS and JJK are shite

ibde2iUDKHGuRV.gif

No its bigger than EVER, Hunter X Hunter's next arc is gonna break the internet for sure

And.. Oshi No Ko is literally smashing hard right now... Spy X Family also was very popular last year 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.