Eurovision Song Contest 2024 | Switzerland wins!

Queen Conchita

Baby Lasagna's arrival to Zagreb

62819083-docek-baby-lasagne-na-trgu.jpg

whatsapp-image-2024-05-12-at-14-50-44.jpeg

Nemo's arrival to Switzerland

487889?Format=1

I'm sorry but this is cracking me up :deadbanana2: Baby Lasagna truly the real winner of Eurovision 2024

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• Funhouse

• Fevesy

• illia

14 minutes ago, Hurem said:

Baby Lasagna's arrival to Zagreb

62819083-docek-baby-lasagne-na-trgu.jpg

whatsapp-image-2024-05-12-at-14-50-44.jpeg

Nemo's arrival to Switzerland

487889?Format=1

I'm sorry but this is cracking me up :deadbanana2: Baby Lasagna truly the real winner of Eurovision 2024

the amount of hate ive seen from swiss people on twitter, not surprised

Nemo has received a lot of support from politicians and various major and even conservative media sites. German news sites are also writing about their victory and are surprisingly positive. I would have thought that the conservative sites would tear them apart but they are very supportive and respectful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BOOM! said:

:bibliahh::bibliahh:

:bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh:

tell them queen :clap3:

utterly surreal

• Haha 8

This queen 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BOOM! said:

i am actually crying from laughter lmao :ahh:

QUEEN

52 minutes ago, BOOM! said:

:bibliahh:, why does this account have me blocked on twitter tho? never interacted with them :deadbanana2:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LewisK said:

Still in disbelief about Spain's and Austria televote results... Any clue?

Both came in around 11th-13th spot in voting in 9/10 countries. :rip:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LewisK said:

Still in disbelief about Spain's and Austria televote results... Any clue?

i wish they both did better but i guess it didn't resonate with the GP. i personally think that the fact that a lot of people focused their votes onto a handful of songs in order to sabotage israel definitely didn't help and cost them quite a few points :chick3:

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Fevesy said:

I said it before and I'll say it again. I feel like one of the Little Mix girls is coming to represent the UK next year since they are all starting their solo careers and they're all kinda flopping. Well, maybe not now cause Olly is getting lashed.

Jesy Nelson is coming for 2nd highest UK televote score this decade.

whitney-houston.gif

I just know she would slay with Bad Thing

whitney-houston.gif

It's kicking OFF again! 

42 minutes ago, gimmelaugh said:

I just know she would slay with Bad Thing

whitney-houston.gif

she could win :clap3:

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna try to sum up my thoughts why Croatia would have been a better winner, without being negative about Nemo.

Let's start with the whole story. We've heard it a billion times, but in the ocean of manufactured PR stories that different countries try to push, this was truly the perfect and organic story. An unknown guy who was only a backup in the national final because of the corruption and nepotism within the Croatian music industry goes on to win the public vote at Eurovision. Not only that, but his entire team was made up of young people who have never worked on any big projects before.

Rim Tim Tagi Dim soon enough became the obvious public's favorite. It won almost every Eurovision poll and was leading in the odds for almost the entire season.

Now we get to the results. It won the televote with 337 points, despite having only 9 sets of 12 points (compared to Israel's 15 sets of 12 points). In 4 countries (plus the Rest of the World) where it got 8 points, the top two spots were taken by Israel and Ukraine. In every country that gave RTTD 10 points, except for Ukraine, 12 points went to either Israel or Ukraine. I'm not a fan of should've, could've, would've talk, but I can't shake off the feeling that without the political situations, it might've gotten a higher televote result than Kaarija and Salvador Sobral.

It ultimately lost because Nemo landslided the juries. Some of you argue that we should be thankful because they stopped Israel from winning, but if that was their sole purpose, why couldn't they give more points to the clear favorite and ensure he won? Wasn't it riskier to try to push someone who was fourth in the semi for the win? I do agree that Nemo deserved to win the jury vote, I just don't think it was fair to give him an unbeatable advantage. Some are happy that Nemo won, despite him placing only fifth with the public, arguing that songs like Rim Tim Tagi Dim would make the contest lose its credibility. I understand wanting your favorite to win, but isn't the fact that the public has virtually no say in choosing the winner actually the thing that's ruining the competition? Jury should be there as a corrective, not as an entity that gets to choose winners every year. Additionally, wanting Nemo to win over Baby Lasagna simply because they are non-binary is literally feeding into the theories of Eurovision primarily being used as a tool to promote certain ideologies, making the music completely secondary.

Croatia's win would've been a better outcome for the contest because the public would feel heard, especially after last year's backlash. Furthermore, we would potentially get some Eastern countries back into the competition. The way he lost only deepens the theories that juries are there to ensure that the rich countries get the top spot (something that Österdahl basically confirmed in a recent interview). Everything about Switzerland's entry feels manufactured, The Code was a project that was made solely to win the Eurovision. This discredits its success by any means, but it definitely raises a question of whether authenticity is appreciated at all?

Finally, the hype around Baby Lasagna in Croatia is something unheard of. I don't expect others to understand, but I've never experienced this type of collective excitement, nor do I think I will ever see it again. He and his song are literally everywhere. Everyone and their moms have taken out their doilies in support of Rim Tim Tagi Dim, even the police dogs (I'm not even joking). Despite a lot of ideological differences in society, he actually made Croatia united by music.

baby-lasagna-eurovision.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, Hurem said:

I'm gonna try to sum up my thoughts why Croatia would have been a better winner, without being negative about Nemo.

Let's start with the whole story. We've heard it a billion times, but in the ocean of manufactured PR stories that different countries try to push, this was truly the perfect and organic story. An unknown guy who was only a backup in the national final because of the corruption and nepotism within the Croatian music industry goes on to win the public vote at Eurovision. Not only that, but his entire team was made up of young people who have never worked on any big projects before.

Rim Tim Tagi Dim soon enough became the obvious public's favorite. It won almost every Eurovision poll and was leading in the odds for almost the entire season.

Now we get to the results. It won the televote with 337 points, despite having only 9 sets of 12 points (compared to Israel's 15 sets of 12 points). In 4 countries (plus the Rest of the World) where it got 8 points, the top two spots were taken by Israel and Ukraine. In every country that gave RTTD 10 points, except for Ukraine, 12 points went to either Israel or Ukraine. I'm not a fan of should've, could've, would've talk, but I can't shake off the feeling that without the political situations, it might've gotten a higher televote result than Kaarija and Salvador Sobral.

It ultimately lost because Nemo landslided the juries. Some of you argue that we should be thankful because they stopped Israel from winning, but if that was their sole purpose, why couldn't they give more points to the clear favorite and ensure he won? Wasn't it riskier to try to push someone who was fourth in the semi for the win? I do agree that Nemo deserved to win the jury vote, I just don't think it was fair to give him an unbeatable advantage. Some are happy that Nemo won, despite him placing only fifth with the public, arguing that songs like Rim Tim Tagi Dim would make the contest lose its credibility. I understand wanting your favorite to win, but isn't the fact that the public has virtually no say in choosing the winner actually the thing that's ruining the competition? Jury should be there as a corrective, not as an entity that gets to choose winners every year. Additionally, wanting Nemo to win over Baby Lasagna simply because they are non-binary is literally feeding into the theories of Eurovision primarily being used as a tool to promote certain ideologies, making the music completely secondary.

Croatia's win would've been a better outcome for the contest because the public would feel heard, especially after last year's backlash. Furthermore, we would potentially get some Eastern countries back into the competition. The way he lost only deepens the theories that juries are there to ensure that the rich countries get the top spot (something that Österdahl basically confirmed in a recent interview). Everything about Switzerland's entry feels manufactured, The Code was a project that was made solely to win the Eurovision. This discredits its success by any means, but it definitely raises a question of whether authenticity is appreciated at all?

Finally, the hype around Baby Lasagna in Croatia is something unheard of. I don't expect others to understand, but I've never experienced this type of collective excitement, nor do I think I will ever see it again. He and his song are literally everywhere. Everyone and their moms have taken out their doilies in support of Rim Tim Tagi Dim, even the police dogs (I'm not even joking). Despite a lot of ideological differences in society, he actually made Croatia united by music.

baby-lasagna-eurovision.gif

The key here is the fact that all this is set against the backdrop of the Israel issue which underlined everything.  Ultimately the EBU's lack of leadership let this Eurovision be dominated completely by politics.  Switzerland might have gotten less jury votes if not for the fact that Israel looked primed to win the popular vote.  Croatia might have done better in the tele vote if not for Israel sucking up so much air.  

Then there is the whole issue of the Netherlands which throw further throws a wrench in the whataboutism.  

Between Switzerland and Croatia, I personally did not care, but I don't think one can use this year to draw conclusions about structural changes to the point system.  This year should instead be used to spark conversation about how to avoid having the contest be completely overshadowed by politics again. 

• Thanks 3

I wrote an essay but no one wants to read all that so I'll sum it up quickly

• Of course happy Switzerland won - voted 12x Switzerland, 7x Croatia and 1x Ukraine in the end
  • Nemo's performance is one of the most impressive things done at Eurovision
  • Televote should have more sway
  • Jury sequence the last two years has been boring, this year even more than last even as a Switzerland stan
  • Baby Lasagna would have been a great winner also and probably more beneficial for public opinion of the contest, especially in Eastern countries
  • Baby Lasagna's story from going to 7 monthly listeners on Spotify and on the reserve list at Dora is amazing
  • Seeing how he evolved as a performer from Dora where he was super nervous and slightly awkward to how he performed on the Eurovision stage is also great and inspiring
  • Bambie talent and proud to have voted for them in the Irish NF and the semis. Hope Ireland get a fully produced NF instead of patched onto the Late Late Show

:clack:

• Like 2

Unfortunately Eurovision will always be political... the very idea of countries (political entities) competing with each other will always bring up the politics talk and make the music an afterthought for many viewers. We will never fully escape it but I do hope it will be less evident in the next years.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Left 2 comments containing the word "Israel" on r/eurovision and they both got hidden automatically

giphy.gif

Edited by Funhouse

7 minutes ago, Funhouse said:

Left 2 comments containing the word "Israel" on r/eurovision and they both got hidden automatically

giphy.gif

Hmm, maybe they are onto something.  Maybe we should remove Israel from Eurovision altogether! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Luna result is so bad nnnn help. Only leftovers from polish diaspora

giphy.gif

It's time for another ballad

giphy.gif

Edited by BlueBlue

Poland should give the people what they want (terrible graphic overlays)

giphy.gif

Notice how Ochman and pop princess Blanka made it to the final while Luna and her LED floor horse didn't

giphy.gif

Poland should just keep sending Blanka every year until she wins 
giphy.gif

• Like 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.