Eurovision Song Contest 2024 | Switzerland wins!

Queen Conchita

41 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

I do think we are going to see a reshuffling in the EBU, and definitely an attempt to market this next edition in the contest as a soft reset - being hosted in Switzerland has a lot of symbolic meaning. With Switzerland historically known for its neutrality, and for being the first host of the contest, we will definitely see a "return to our roots" type of marketing. However, unless anything earth shatteringly drastic happens, I don't think we will see the EBU move to reject/ban any country.

I'm excited to see what happens! We need to have a huge shuffle asap. No more Swedish/nordic Executive Supervisor and a much bigger diversity in the Reference Group.

Reference Group right now:

🇭🇷🇩🇪🇮🇸🇮🇹🇮🇹🇵🇹🇪🇸🇸🇪🇸🇪🇬🇧

One Eastern European representative out of 10 isn't cute. 

They should change this + ban Israel + find new sponsors. That's like the only way to bring back the Netherlands and attract new countries or those who have withdrawn recently.

• Like 8

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• Funhouse

• Fevesy

• illia

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, velocity said:

why are y'all saying the jury prevented israel from winning when without the jury croatia would have won :rip:

57 minutes ago, zzmyth said:

The way to make everything much cleaner and less messy... 

I would give points to every country. From 0 to 25 in the televote. And the jury's vote I would keep it the same way. With 12/10/9...

That way people's vote is more balanced but everyone gets awarded even if not as high as Top10 in some countries. 

Also.. I feel like televoting and SMS voting in 2024 is outdated AF. 

I get that they have to get the money... But put publicity in the apps maybe... But let people vote for free on the apps. 

Also... I think that another way to make everything fairer is avoid mass voting. 20 votes per phone seems too much in my eyes. 10 votes is more than enough, and just to be able to vote for more than 1 country, only 5 votes max per person and recipient is more than ok I think. People with a 5 member family and money... Can make 100 votes. And that doesn't make it representative of the public taste. 

Because if Joost was still in the competion he would have most likely stopped both Croatia and Switzerland from winning the competition

I just think give jury less share but yeah could allow mass voting and Israel would have won.

54 minutes ago, velocity said:

that's speculation. croatia was #1 at the odds and we could claim that people who would have voted for joost voted for nemo instead. what matters is that in the end the people made the correct choice with or without the jury

Not really speculation at all because if we assume a lot of Israel's vote is Politics and mass voting then Joost would have stolen a lot of votes from others and Israel win public vote 

Edited by ForgottenSoul

Free voting would kill this contest in both quality winners & funds senses :rip: Never never never 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I voted for Switzerland and Croatia this year but let's not sit here and pretend Croatia is some runaway mass robbed public winner like last year. Croatia barely won the televote by 14 points and even if we ignore Israhell, the difference between Croatia and 3rd place is 30 points whereas Finland won it by 133 points compared to 2nd. Someone could try to simulate a reality without Israhell and I'd like to see what impact it actually have but I don't have it in me to try to work that out. 

I agree that the public vote should have more sway btw. The last two jury segments have been boring to watch from a viewer point of view so that does need changed. After 3 countries I kinda lost excitement even as a Switzerland stan once I realised that Switzerland was about to sweep and Israel was tanking

Edited by Fevesy
  • Like 2

I'm still amazed at how Italy comoletely took me by surprise in the final. That new outfit elevated that whole damn performance :skull:

4 minutes ago, Hurem said:

You can't just point out positions, when the point difference between #1 and #3 was the same as the one between #3 and #12 :deadbanana2:

The point is he stil got 3rd, almost 2nd, whatever the points were, above songs that deserved it more, and this is not a subjective thing like public voting is as there's a criteria:rip: if anyone got favored by the jury it was him, they just couldn't do miracles, the song was dated, the voice wasn't strong enough, the staging was nothing new nor polished, nothing about him fit the juries' criteria, all it had was the fact it was a simple fun song, which happened to connect with the public and is why he won the televote, but sometimes that's not enough :michael:

Baby Lasagna (3rd, 210p.) having a better jury position than Kaarja (4th, 150p.) should have y'all PRAISE the jury :deadbanana4: They could've tanked it out of the existence and they didn't, giving him 2nd place overall.

• Like 1

I think the difference with Switzerland televote from semifinal to final was the first vote people were thinking"what is this?" On the final, they had seen it once already and said, "this is pretty good". I wasn't a fan of the song, but the performance was probably the best of the year considering all they did in that three minutes. 

MARINA SATTI THE MOTHER YOU ARE

spacer.png

• Like 3

:deadbanana:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Honestly, Norway being last place is quite shocking. 

1 hour ago, Green Tea Is Green said:

Wasn't gonna bring it up but... Croatia got 3rd in the juries, they got ENOUGH help for the kind of song it is, putting them over stuff like Ukraine, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden (and to a lesser extent Italy since the staging wasn't as sleek as it could've been) should tell you enough :chick2:

If anything blame Israel for stealing televote points from him, but even then, he should be thankful Joost got disqualified, it's a lot of whataboutism

Very true. If we go by the stereotypical jury voter profile (i.e. favoring vocal performances and good compositions — neither of which Croatia had), it's absolutely insane that they received so many more points than Ukraine.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, abelfenty said:

The problem is them getting rid of the juries in the semis. It's not a coincidence that the two years they removed juries from the semis the jury winner in the GF has landslided 

Um no that's not problem

I remember Serbia being 10th in Semifinals for few years and juries decided to play on a rule where they can replace 10th semifinalist with their choice and that's why for few years Serbia didn't qualify or participated for a year or two. Obvious agenda.

Edited by NoAngelus

Posted (edited)

Norway was robbed but I knew they'd be down there the moment I heard it during NF season, it was Blanca Paloma 2.0 with a staging not as good which is what saved Blanca with the jury I fear

That's where the juries need a change, songs like these can't flop cuz of the vocal technique and song structure being something different to what the ear of a commoner is used to, it's just as valid as any form of singing :coffee2: Forcing some ''rules'' for the jury selection so they can all have different music backgrounds would be nice, a jury with expertise on traditional/folk music, one on rap/hip hop, rock/metal, etc, there's already countries that include juries with classical music backgrounds and such but it should be a rule for all of them, otherwise only the polished pop adjacent ones will thrive, the whole point of the jury is to recognize quality regardless of how hard it is to ''get into'' :bird:

Edited by Green Tea Is Green

Posted (edited)

I was thinking we would get an full EBU response to everything that has happened in the last 48 hours, it turns out I have still not seen a resignation letter from #that man. I wonder if we will get something on Monday :coffee2:

Edited by Gwendolyn

wait so Bambi came 6th in the jury voting, 6th in the public voting and 6th overall

idlowl6.png

• Haha 11

16 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

I was thinking we would get an full EBU response to everything that has happened in the last 48 hours, it turns out I have still not seen a resignation letter from #that man. I wonder if we will get something on Monday :coffee2:

the gag when he doesn't resign and they pretend nothing happened

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, velocity said:

the gag when he doesn't resign and they pretend nothing happened

Then the EBU should invest in some anti-booing technology for Martin Österdahl too. Eurofans will not forget the mess that this year's Eurovision was

ZrBAIsDFfDziWWDgjB.webp

Edited by JennyWayne
  • Like 1

If I am not mistaken, wasn't Nemo the odd's on favourite to win for quite some time - and only fell behind Baby Lasagna during the rehearsal performances when Baby Lasagna excelled and Nemo did not too hot? I am almost certain it was not until the week began where the odds flipped and Croatia was back in front?

Truthfully, everyone I spoke too who follows Eurovision always said it was a Ukraine v. Switzerland v. Croatia race - with people expecting Switzerland to dominate the jury and Croatia/Ukraine to dominate the televote. So this outcome really isn't surprising? 

4 minutes ago, Mezik said:

If I am not mistaken, wasn't Nemo the odd's on favourite to win for quite some time - and only fell behind Baby Lasagna during the rehearsal performances when Baby Lasagna excelled and Nemo did not too hot? I am almost certain it was not until the week began where the odds flipped and Croatia was back in front?

Truthfully, everyone I spoke too who follows Eurovision always said it was a Ukraine v. Switzerland v. Croatia race - with people expecting Switzerland to dominate the jury and Croatia/Ukraine to dominate the televote. So this outcome really isn't surprising? 

Croatia was number one until early april iirc, when Switzerland overtook it, until the rehearsals. 

I'd say somebody getting 85% of maximum jury point is surprising. Loreen got 15*12pt from juries and that was dragged as unrealistic - last night they got 22. Nobody expected that.

• Like 1

Did any of the songs win on Spotify?

16 hours ago, Aquamarine said:

don't know if this has been posted already but ICON :clap3:

This whole clip is amazing :jonny:. I really hope they becomes big in the metal scene. The perfomance was so gorgeous

16 minutes ago, Mezik said:

Nemo was #1 on Odds for whole April.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.