What is the appeal of "Friends"..? Enlighten me.

Da Vinci

It's a show that's easy to watch, it's silly, the characters have good chemistry. 

But yes, it hasn't aged the best. 

However, I still think it's aged better than some of the sitcoms of the time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thinking Of You

• Wrecked

• PoisonedIvy

• Phaunzie

it's so bland and mediocre that non-native speakers can use it to learn English effectively:cm:

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, popmusicisdead said:

it's so bland and mediocre that non-native speakers can use it to learn English effectively:cm:

Saying Friends is bad by pointing out its global relevance to the point that its taught people English is a weird drag, but go off.

its a classic

52 minutes ago, Wrecked said:

The way some of you make hating Friends a personality trait… :gaycat6:

You don’t need to be ‘enlightened’ about anything. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Why does it bother you so much that other people like it? 

This. I also wasn't interested before but it just hit me after watching the the first few seasons the first time, and now I really love it.

It's not for everyone of course if you don't like it, you probably won't be "enlightened" and that's okay. Don't force yourself in it. Let the people who love it enjoy it.

34 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Hating Friends is such a horrible personality trait. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. But obsessively hating it is silly. 

Friends is just a good comfort show for me. Anytime I feel down I can turn it on and immediately laugh at the characters and their scenarios. I think it does a great job of letting you grow into the friend group. You start to feel like an insider that knows the inside jokes so when a character says, “Did Monica approve of this?” about Chandler daring to clean the apartment on his own, you laugh because you know all too well how obsessive she is about cleaning because you’ve seen it. When they joke about Ross getting a divorce, you laugh at it because you’ve seen all of his divorces. You’re “in” on the inside jokes. I think any well-established friend group has very distinct inside jokes that make no sense to anyone else. For instance, personally speaking, my friends and I from college made custom Cards Against Humanity cards and I have to tell people they can discard them when I play with the same cards now because no one understands how any of them are remotely funny. Friends is one of the few sitcoms that rewards you for watching the show from start to finish.

Why is this good? Well, the show assumes you grow attached to the characters and once you do, the show is fantastic. I totally understand if you tune into one episode and go, “Omg, this is lame.” But I’d argue that’s the incorrect way to consume Friends. It’s not as episodic as other sitcoms and has humor that is built on seasons worth of context.

Finally, I think the show has a very romantic quality to it with how it portrays friendship. The way the characters are always together and hanging out reminds me of my college days in particular when all my friends and I lived in the dorms together for four years. We all ate dinner together at 5pm, had random board game nights, shared gossip, complained about dating, watched movies, and just had a similar lifestyle to the characters in Friends. We even always hung out in the campus Starbucks to where our other friends would visit Starbucks specifically to look for one of us. Watching Friends reminds me of that time period in my life and it’s nice to watch it from that vantage point. It was such a great time period in my life and I appreciate Friends more because of the similarity.

I agree completely, the show is not without its flaws (some glaring ones too that become more apparent later on) but it is a great comfort show.

It baffles me how some people just hate having fun is2g

Imo it’s impossible to explain anything that reaches that level of mass appeal. There can be no one, singular reason something that popular resonates with that many people.

But idk it’s a bad show

TheOnlyOne
15 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

It’s a stolen, watered down, white version of this:

spacer.png

This.

It's Living Single for people who don't like watching black people. End of story. 

1 hour ago, Wrecked said:

You don’t need to be ‘enlightened’ about anything. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Why does it bother you so much that other people like it? 

this. people just like to be proud of hating something huge

It's funny, sure a bit corny at times but it has some really funny episodes.

59 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

It needs to be said in threads like this. The entertainment you consume ≠ who you are as a person. People go to TV for different things. To be brutal, alt ******* are more boring to interact with IRL because everything is snobby posturing. Friends fans aren’t pretentious.

This. It’s like Atrlers forever trapped in their pretentious teenage phase. 

Thinking Of You
26 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

This.

It's Living Single for people who don't like watching black people. End of story. 

Typical America, you know? 

The fact the man that ran NBC at the time basically admitted to stealing it…

For me, my older sister used to watch this when it was originally airing (there’s a huge age gap between us :rip:) and when she was watching re runs I used to watch them with her since she didn’t let me have the TV.

I actually found it funny and eventually it became a confort show once it was brought to Netflix. I do agree some of the humor they used doesn’t work on new watchers anymore, but for me, characters like Phoebe, Monica and Chandler made the show super funny. 

1 hour ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

Y’all seem to underestimate the importance of mediocrity.. MOST people in the world are mediocre. Not everyone is hella attractive, funny, and talented. So when something comes around that feels grounded in reality, the vocal critics like to be hateful and say that it’s basic when in reality it just has mass relatability.

i don’t love friends but I stan Taylor and everyone calls her bland/basic/vanilla when really she’s just universally relatable and down to earth. 

I was about to drag before I got to the self-reflective part.

Funny and iconic.. 

I love how people think its edgy to call it overrated when its still highly successful 30 years later

1 hour ago, Thinking Of You said:

It’s a stolen, watered down, white version of this:

spacer.png

Both of them are rip offs of The Golden Girls. 

1 minute ago, ICLDXU4HS said:

I was about to drag before I got to the self-reflective part.

I think a lot of outsiders think that Taylor’s fanbase over-praise her or see her as the most talented artist of all time or something when in reality most of us love her because she knows how to put feelings that we all experience to music. It’s that simple.

So people get frustrated at Taylor’s success thinking we support her heavily “”in spite of a lack of talent”” when we support her because she’s got the right balance of talent and relatability, or, “mediocrity” if you wanna call it that. 

It's a two decade old show. Stop mentioning it if you don't enjoy it :rip: 

Thinking Of You
20 minutes ago, Josh said:

Both of them are rip offs of The Golden Girls. 

No. 

People can relate to it but it has no appeal to me since I’m not a yt person trying to make it in NY And sitcoms in general aren’t too entertaining to me unless they’re over the top and nonsensical 🙂

2 hours ago, Wrecked said:

This lol. Like just find something else to watch. 

It’s the television equivalent of fast food/comfort food. It’s like when you’re hungry and don’t know where to get your food from, so you go for the easiest option. Safe, inoffensive, good background noise, you go back to it when you need, and it’s so pervasive in culture that you can talk about it with anyone and they’ll know what you’re talking about. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.